1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

a question about modding in V0.2.-1.1b

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Danarkivus-2, Jun 3, 2016.

1. Danarkivus-2

Danarkivus-2 Back Into Space

is it possible to make my own star systems thought modding or is it not possible?
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2016
    Danarkivus-2, Jun 3, 2016
    Last edited by Danarkivus-2; at Jun 3, 2016
  2. PsychoticLeprechaun

PsychoticLeprechaun Designer & Web Developer

• Dev Member
    You can! If you go to StarSystems/Trinity in the install directory, you can see how we created the Trinity star system to work from there or to get an idea of how to make one from scratch.
    PsychoticLeprechaun, Jun 4, 2016
    Last edited by PsychoticLeprechaun; at Jun 4, 2016
  3. Danarkivus-2

that's great. thanks!
    PsychoticLeprechaun likes this.
  4. Danarkivus-2

ok now I have an issue when I went and delete some of the planets in SystemProperties
    now I get this [​IMG]
    edit: I have found a way to get rid of the big black dot. but I cant find one of the planets.
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2016
    Danarkivus-2, Jun 4, 2016
    Last edited by Danarkivus-2; at Jun 5, 2016
  5. PsychoticLeprechaun

• Dev Member
    Hmm, that is odd. A lot of bugs were present in 0.2.-1.1b regarding star systems so it could be one of those. Alternatively the files you have deleted could be files others still present are dependent on (e.g. if you deleted a parent body to a child body).
    PsychoticLeprechaun, Jun 5, 2016
    Last edited by PsychoticLeprechaun; at Jun 5, 2016
  6. Danarkivus-2

ok thanks.
    edit: I figured out why it was doing that I delete its refrence to one of the other planets
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2016
    Danarkivus-2, Jun 5, 2016
    Last edited by Danarkivus-2; at Jun 5, 2016
  7. Danarkivus-2

new question now that I have modded the star system a bit now all my planets say their orbiting period is 16666.67 days, how do I change that?
  8. PsychoticLeprechaun

• Dev Member
    I haven't played around with the star system myself, it would be worth comparing the data files you've created to the original ones to make sure no data is missing (otherwise it could be a data-based glitch). If all the data is right it would suggest a bug in the code for star systems.
  9. Danarkivus-2

ok thanks
  10. Danarkivus-2

never mind I found out what I was doing wrong.
  11. Danarkivus-2

ok this is going to be a recurring theme.
    but I cant seam to change the distance of planets any more I have compared the modded files to the original and cant seam to find any thing.
  12. _zombiehunter

_zombiehunter Artist & Designer

• Dev Member
    Can you be a bit more specific? Which planets are affected, what did you change, what orbital parameters are you using for the affected planets?
  13. Danarkivus-2

well I only have one planet and the parameters are
    a: 3 p: 0 td: .0001 i: 0 e: 0.0017 t: 5.24e+5 par: Trinity B path: Planets/Aldrin/properties.yml type: PlanetAldrin:
  14. _zombiehunter

• Dev Member
    So according to your data, you're trying to place Aldrin in orbit around Trinity B? Your orbital period is 5.24e+5 seconds (~6 days, quite short btw), but you're also defining an orbital period divisor "td" for a missing reference body here. I guess this still ovverrides your given period. If you define an orbital period using "t" in your data, don't combine it with ref, td and tf. The latter ones can be used instead "t" if you want your planet or moon to be resonant with a reference body.
  15. Danarkivus-2

so "t" makes it distance or is just how fast it goes? because my problem is that cant seam to make it that the planet is father from the star.
  16. _zombiehunter

• Dev Member
  17. Danarkivus-2

ok thanks but I now getting confused what 350.00e+5 mean?
  18. _zombiehunter

• Dev Member
    What exactly confuses you here? The number formatting? The part after the "e" just tells you the power of ten, so "e+5" equals a factor of 100000.
    e,g, 350.00e+5 = 350*100000 = 35000000 ... nothing else than a compact way to display very large numbers.
  19. Danarkivus-2

ok so it like the 350.00e is hours or something and the 5 is 10x10x10x10x10x10?
  20. _zombiehunter

• Dev Member
    The orbital period is in seconds, and the "e+5" equals a factor of 100000 (five zeros).