1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alturnative Races.

Discussion in 'Feature Suggestions' started by wolfe, Aug 14, 2014.

1. Agarthan

Agarthan Reinvented The Wheel

Make a way to splint the wing, like a broken leg.
  2. SpaceHippie

SpaceHippie Reinvented The Wheel

Yah. A splinted wing would heal faster, but you still wouldn't be able to fly.

I like the dinosaur suggestion. It could have natural weapons, you know claws and teeth. Maybe the scales would give a small armor protection.

What about a chameleon modification? The camouflage reflex would be neat. NOT invisibility, but the same color as surrounding terrain.

And mammolian modifications. Long fur that protects against the cold, but would cause overheating easily in other terrains.
  3. tetryds

tetryds cus tet, that's it

Are you sure? http://waynesword.palomar.edu/plfeb99.htm

I don't know about natural camouflage on a flying being, but issues like strenght etc can be solved using guns and shields.
    The real problem is that a gun and a plate are way lower tech than a jetpack.
  4. SpaceHippie

Aha. Bazinga.

Well, those were all ideas for different race or modifications. Not all on one creature/player

The way I imagined it is these modifications would be for new spawning players to decide at character creation. So as the tech level went up the differences would end up smoothed out. Jetpacks, better weapons, armor, vehicles, etc.; So by mid to late game the advantages aren't all that great anymore, and any disadvantages would be lessened as well. By the top tier of tech that stuff would be nothing more than cosmetic.
  5. Benjamin

Benjamin Lead Developer

• Dev Leader
    While we will definitely allow for full facial and hair customization, we probably wont allow you to make body modifications other than recoloring the voxels or changing the body mass/height with sliders. This is because we need armor to fit snugly over all the player models, and if we allow you to add/remove voxels from the body, then we wont be able to guarantee that.
  6. Eviscerator

Eviscerator Industrial Re-revolutionist

How snug is snug? It ain't healthy if skin can't get at least a little air.
  7. tetryds

tetryds cus tet, that's it

Good point, Ben.
    Light armor could be just layers of blocks on the top of the skin, but this becomes a trouble at heavy ones.
    I don't see a problem on limiting that (limiting is ok), as everyone is free to mod the creatures and the armors to fit them.

One thing that Ben forgot to mention is that being hit and getting damage wouldn't be a modification the same way as customizing a character does, so there are no issues with that.
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2014
    tetryds, Aug 18, 2014
    Last edited by tetryds; at Aug 18, 2014
  8. ThatOneGuy

ThatOneGuy Reinvented The Wheel

Couldn't you make custom armor for everything? Start off with a plate of sheet metal and work it until it looks like you want it too?
  9. SpaceHippie

Oh that's a good question. Isn't armor going to be custom made? Or maybe that's for another thread.

Edit: Here's the thread I was thinking of that discussed customization

https://www.seedofandromeda.com/community/threads/engravings-embroidery-personalisation.297/

So probably not entire mesh customization. But some, which is still cool.
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
    SpaceHippie, Aug 19, 2014
    Last edited by SpaceHippie; at Aug 19, 2014
  10. Arctic

Arctic Giant Robot Advocate

• Tester
    Hey, someone linked to my thread. Cool.
    I think Ben's hit the nail right on the head here. Though, what if body mass was dependant on your stats? That way, strong people would get prominent abdominal and bicep muscles, while someone who wiles their time away tippity-tapping on virtual keyboards (Talk about escapism) would grow fat and weak (Just like in real life! Oh God where did I go wrong). As for skin colour, it should definitely be restricted to a variety of tasteful tans and browns. Because I guarantee that people will be running around as naked glowing green women.
    The armour thing sounds great... Imagine, you would actually have to beat armour in a way that meant it could fit! Ohhhhh God the RP value...
    Wings-
    Wait...
    Wings...
    Pegasus-
    OH GOD I THINK I'M HAVING PBSD AGAIN NO NOT THE ANTHROS NOOOOOOOOOO

Just sayin', bronies are everywhere. And they WILL find a way to play as brightly coloured friendship horses, tacky necklaces and everything . Sure feel lucky I jumped off that brightly coloured horse train a while back.
    Just, uh, puttin' that out there. Ponies, fellas. Get your tactical nukes and NBC suits ready.