1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any chance for engine's source code release?

Discussion in 'Feature Suggestions' started by TYHENDER, Jan 28, 2017.

1. TYHENDER

TYHENDER Industrial Re-revolutionist

Sooo....
    Basically, it would be really cool if we could see engine's source(for modding purposes. I doubt someone will use it for another game).

I already tried to decompile SoA using IDA, and I already spitted up game and SDL(!!!, that's a hell of achievement!), but it's not really helpful, who can read Assembler?
  2. PsychoticLeprechaun

PsychoticLeprechaun Designer & Web Developer

• Dev Member
    That card's not off the table, though we'd have to fully discuss it internally. With my own aim to start work on Vorb my focus will be on getting a new thing for people to play with, especially focusing on creative options so scripting and so on.
  3. TYHENDER

4. NeonSturm

NeonSturm Back Into Space

When thinking about licensing, GLP sounds a bit too grateful to those who own dependencies like DirectX or Windows by allowing them to use free products on top of their non-free licenses without requiring these products to also work on linux to be called "truly free".

On the other hand, I think that if a product auto-licenses itself under the terms of the GPL or similar after 2 developement cycles of max. 3 years, that the GPL is a bit to harsh on what is allowed.

I have the opinion that community content should be freely accessible from a free operation system throughout free code to free CC.
    I'd like if developers would -if devs still want use proprietary code- do it somewhere aside that, for mission code or recently created content "on top of the base game" maybe.
    -- If a company accepts donated community content, it should apply this fair-play rule to their relevant-product's license.

I also found my opinion that if a game is not free2play, the 3rd version you would have to purchase must forfeit your legal claims on 1st, else a monopoly like with Windows OS will occur just because of the huge step from version0 (the idea without product) to a version functionally comparable to the last published.
    -- If a company chooses to use free products for commercial purposes, it should apply this fair-play rule to all their licenses.

I've thought a lot about my own licenses and found that I want that any limits on usability/shareability/modifieability/… are only fair for max. 2 times the development time put into before the release.​
    -- If a company chooses to use free products for commercial purposes, it should apply this fair-play rule to all their licenses.

If I want money, I ask for money before someone can download the source from my own page, ask for a donation or only demand it from big players (big personal income, big company, many customers …), because the cost of controlling all small "potential code-pirates" is bigger than any gain and contraproductive.

Those who bought earlier could get coupons for later purchases if more customers than expected bought the product – Thus I can demand a higher price early without having peoples thinking "I just wait until it gets cheaper".

For an open-alpha/beta game, actually it isn't truly the developers game anymore once community content plays a big part in advertising or for having fun in the game.
    If you give missions which is like reading a book, you serve for money.
    But if you purposefully allow community content, you serve for getting more CC/advertisement too. This advertisement can be used for offering other money-products like artwork, etc.
  5. TYHENDER

Damn, you mastered the art of putting words together!
    NeonSturm likes this.
  6. aaronfranke

aaronfranke Crash Landed

LGPL allows redistributing proprietary components with the code. Not sure if it's what's wanted for SOA, though.

However, you don't need to do that. Do what Space Engineers did, have the main executable and assets be only available via paid download and have the source code for all of the components of the game be open. That way you can allow only those with the game to actually use the code and you don't have to worry about distributing proprietary dependencies.
    NeonSturm likes this.
  7. NeonSturm

My first 3 Thoughts:
    1. Awesome
    2. social distance you|friend, you|brother, you|linux + advertising windows software (windows isn't free)
    3. copyright law issues (government, not company/SE)

I dunno about copyright issues copying modules tough. I think they released the source for modders primarily.
    Ofc you could use it, but legal laws state that everything in a meaningful quantity is ©opy®ighted until you agree on "Terms Of Use"
    — ToS which could be very restrictive themselves.

1. For following thought, let's assume government has no restrictions on publicly accessible content which does not require you to sign a ToS.
    2. Is it advantageous if you lose freedom by playing SE?
    3. Let's assume you don't lose freedom for the next thought.
    4. Now it is great and gov is the evil.
    5. But if my previous assumption (line2) is wrong, SE punishes players for playing it.
    6. Right now I am unsure about it.
    7. Rechtssicherheit (the deutscher/german term for "juristical-security-attribute" means "intuitive and invariant law") isn't given because of the law's complexity.
    8. Because it is too high for most common lawyers and those police officers which should defend you, it's a tool of mind-control (avoid it or be punished with fear about legal issues)​
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
    NeonSturm, Mar 19, 2017
    Last edited by NeonSturm; at Mar 20, 2017
  8. aaronfranke

aaronfranke Crash Landed

Wot. You're telling me how to live my social life?
  9. NeonSturm

No, they are my 3 first thoughts on this topic.​
  10. Shashwah

Shashwah Tester

• Tester
    I love coming on here to learn more german