1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any good space games you'd recommend?

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Lionitow, Oct 18, 2015.

1. Lionitow

Lionitow Reinvented The Wheel

Hi guys,
    while waiting for SoA, it would be nice to play a good space game. Have you got any suggestions?
  2. ColdFuseon

ColdFuseon Lost in Space

• Contributor
  3. Lionitow

ColdFuseon likes this.
  4. Danarkivus-2

Danarkivus-2 Back Into Space

elite dangerous.
    starmade
    Lionitow likes this.
  5. Lionitow

Starmade is a bit too much "Minecraft in space", and ED... I honestly don't like the gameplay, with no interactions with planet surfaces, but graphics are very beautiful and immersive.
  6. Thomas988

Thomas988 Back Into Space

Kerbal Space Program and Space Engine. :D
    Lionitow likes this.
  7. PsychoticLeprechaun

PsychoticLeprechaun Designer & Web Developer

• Dev Member
    KSP is great. I'd recommend you checkout Elite Dangerous, but it's looking to be quite expensive. Star Citizen is very much alpha, but in due time it could be getting some good content releases to make it satisfying to play even in its alpha form.

Maia looked good when I last saw it, but that was a while ago and apparently doesn't have great ratings. Still worth checking out, I got the feeling it was going down the route of something akin to a sci-fi Dungeon Keeper. If you like 4X strategy, I would recommend something like Galactic Civilizations II (or III, it just came out or is just about to come out and if it is anything like its predecessors, will be good fun).
    Lionitow likes this.
  8. Sevio

Sevio Back Into Space

I jumped into Elite Dangerous during a sale a few weeks ago, ordered a cheap hotas and I've gotten a fair few enjoyable hours out of the game, it definitely has great looks. :)

If you want some interaction with planet surfaces, wait for Horizons which comes out at the end of the year. You'll be able to land on airless worlds, drive around and of course there will be stuff to do, but details are a little bit sparse at the moment. It is also a bit cheaper to wait for Horizons to come out than to join right now and then buy the Horizons expansion.

I can also definitely recommend Kerbal Space Program if you might enjoy building rockets out of lego-like parts and watch them explode horribly for a good laugh or succeed and plant a flag on another world. Either way you'll definitely learn a little bit about what it really takes to go to space. :)

There have been a couple of attempts at "Minecraft with/in space" like Starmade, Space Engineers and Empyrion but none of them have managed to capture the same atmosphere that I loved about Minecraft.

Although Empyrion has given it a good try, I don't like the disparity between regular surface terrain, small ship blocks and big ship/base blocks. You can't integrate and terraform the naturally generated terrain to blend in nicely with buildings and building is fairly tedious. Same goes for space engineers with the large/small block disparity and tedious building.

Starmade doesn't have that same "dropped all by yourself into a wilderness, starting from nothing and crafting everything yourself" feeling and is mostly about building and fighting with ships.
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2015
    Sevio, Oct 19, 2015
    Last edited by Sevio; at Oct 19, 2015
    Lionitow likes this.
  9. Snipecoolbunny

Snipecoolbunny Back Into Space

i typically dont play space games in that sense. get into more indie-like games as they typically are cheap, incredibly fun, and are not hard to learn. take speedrunners for example.
    try out new stuff. dont stick to one genre because you'll miss out on other good games. assasins creed seems to be pretty good to me so i may get into that while i play war thunder(WW2-Korea planes/tanks) and Rocket League. so try out new stuff all the time. hey, you may find something that you think is absolutely f**k**g awesome. so try new stuff man. oh, and btw.

RWBY GRIMM ECLIPSE HYPE!!!
    Lionitow likes this.
  10. Lionitow

SoA is actually the only space game I've played, except some demos (Rodina, KSP) :laugh:
  11. Snipecoolbunny

Snipecoolbunny Back Into Space

:laugh: then ive got nothing