1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anybody still alive?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TYHENDER, Jan 28, 2017.

1. TYHENDER

TYHENDER Industrial Re-revolutionist

So yeah,basically, I was inactive for freaking 7(!) months!
    And...
    4 unread posts? Really?
    I guess we need ssomething to bring FORUM alive. (I have no hope to bting game itself alive without devs)
    I hope Matt can add something like "Your projects" category,so we can discuss other projects. Also, someone may continue Ben's tutorials.

Sadly, Ben doesn't give any signs to life to us common mortals for atleast 1 month, so I don't think there's much hope development of SoA will get active in closest month.
    NeonSturm likes this.
  2. TYHENDER

I just realized I'm first who wrote a post in 2017.
    Happy New Year guys :laugh:
  3. Thomas988

Thomas988 Back Into Space

I'm here. Nothin' much to do, though :p
  4. TYHENDER

Yeah, forums are very dead here.
    Matt,do a refreshment, please.
  5. 10d22

10d22 Designer

• Dev Member
    I will see if I can't get Matt to write you guys a blog post.
    NeonSturm and ColdFuseon like this.
  6. ColdFuseon

ColdFuseon Mercenary

• Contributor
    I'm here too lurking around from time to time
  7. TYHENDER

Cool.
  8. PsychoticLeprechaun

PsychoticLeprechaun Designer & Web Developer

• Dev Member
    Hey guys, sorry for the very long period of radio silence. I went through a bit of a tough spot with exams and so on and really didn't do very much of anything for a couple months. We're through the other side now though so I'm back about and in action. In fact, I have some news that might be mildly exciting!

I've spent the last couple of weeks on a crash course in engine development, and once I feel I've gotten to a point that is approaching good enough I hope to do some work on Vorb itself. Essentially get the ball rolling somewhat, even if not close to as fast as it has been in the past. For the next few weeks or so though I want to solidify my understanding so that I at least come close to the capabilities of Ben and Cristian first.

Edit: To be clear though, it depends entirely on if I'm able to get in capability to where I need to be. Though I'm hopeful! Things have gone well so far and I've got the best resource possible: Vorb itself.

Edit2: Everything else is the same in status as it was last time I updated y'all, though. So most others are busy and web development is coming along (though I've taken a pause from it so I can focus on really hammering in the things I'm learning right now).
    PsychoticLeprechaun, Feb 4, 2017
    Last edited by PsychoticLeprechaun; at Feb 4, 2017
    Thomas988 and _zombiehunter like this.
  9. TYHENDER

Yay, not THAT dead then.
    P.S.: You traitor use Win10 :laugh:
  10. PsychoticLeprechaun

• Dev Member
    Nope!
    Hahaha, I actually do dual boot Win10 with Manjaro KDE (a noob-friendly Arch distro). For anything C++ I use Windows (Visual Studio is just hands down the best software out there for C++ development)!
    PsychoticLeprechaun, Feb 4, 2017
    Last edited by PsychoticLeprechaun; at Feb 4, 2017
  11. TYHENDER

I mean, you could use Win7 =D.
    Whatever, just be sure to install donotspy10.
  12. NeonSturm

NeonSturm Back Into Space

Does this mean that SoA is gonna be working under Linux without Wine soon? (I hope! :))
  13. PsychoticLeprechaun

• Dev Member
    I've heard it is working under version 1.9.23 of Wine. That said I haven't tested it so can't confirm!
  14. TYHENDER

It does. Who keeps saying it doesn't?
  15. TYHENDER

Oh, and yeah, I just thought, you use SDL that is cross-platform, do you really use THAT much windows dependencies?
    I just think of how much can it take to make a proper Linux release.
  16. joppiesaus

joppiesaus Infamous Space-Octopus

I'm slightly going off topic here.

Seed of Andromeda doesn't seem to have many Windows-only dependencies. Compiling for Linux isn't as easy as you might think. You'd have to configure all dependencies again for the Linux platform, you'd have to create a build method. You'd have to write all Windows-specific things to a Linux version(think of MSVC C++ extensions, file loading, etc). I think it would be possible, but it would take just a lot of time. Given the focus of the game right now, the developers would probably choose to do this another time. (And also someone said it worked with Wine)

Remember zombiegame? I'm currently porting my version of it to Linux(and after that I want to make time-based frames and not weird capped frames that are weird). I've got it running after a while, I used Makefiles. It's a small disaster. I had to disable the font because SDL_ttf gave me compile errors for some reason. The rotate function of glm seems to do something weird - instead of slight rotations, everything rotates extremely much. I occasionally get segmentation faults and I can't figure out why. I had to rename header files. I had to fix many compile errors. It kind of is a mess now. I think I can do it, but it would just take time. I think kind of the same will happen to their code - weird stuff that needs to be fixed and will take time.
    Also I don't really know a good strategy. I don't know how to debug. I don't know a decent IDE. And resuming the graphics tutorials seems hard because I've changed some engine stuff sooo it isn't exactly the same and the dependencies are a bit weird and aagghhh.
    If there will be 3D tutorials, I hope I can start from scratch.
  17. PsychoticLeprechaun

• Dev Member
    Oops misread this as saying with Wine. Without Wine should indeed be possible, I know a lot of the code base is already technically compatible with Linux just as much as with Windows.

Yeah, we use cross-platform libs, so dependencies shouldn't be a constraint.

This is a fear I have. Things just behaving slightly differently on other platforms.

On the topic of those particular issues, I know GLM supports both radians and degrees, perhaps it switched from degrees to radians when you built for linux?

You don't have to wait! There's a really really realllllly good 3D OpenGL tutorial series here. I used it to get started and it was a blast, you should give it a try!

Once you've got those basics, you can start to explore things like voxel games and so on through the myriad of scattered online resources, it just takes time and google!
    PsychoticLeprechaun, Feb 7, 2017
    Last edited by PsychoticLeprechaun; at Feb 7, 2017
    joppiesaus likes this.
  18. TYHENDER

Oo,I was following their tutorials! They updated them so much since last time,lol.

Yeah, as Matt already said, it most rpobably switched from degrees to radians. I'm pretty sure you can stich it back by a function/parameter. When I port stuff from Windows to Linux, time libraries always substract 2 hours of time :/.
  19. Cristian Zaloj

Cristian Zaloj Game Programmer

• Dev Member
    Well, I've found out that glm's math libraries aren't super exceptional. You can build your own rotate function pretty easily.
    joppiesaus likes this.
  20. Bixel

Bixel Software Engineering Consultant

• Dev Member
    We still chat and some of us are still supporting a low level of development...
    joppiesaus likes this.