1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anybody still alive?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TYHENDER, Jan 28, 2017.

1. PsychoticLeprechaun

PsychoticLeprechaun Designer & Web Developer

• Dev Member
    Plus maths is fun, everyone should do it! Learning properly how vector and matrix maths works is a great idea for anyone wanting to go far in anything involving geometry ever.
    joppiesaus likes this.
  2. Whoisthatkidd

Whoisthatkidd Balanced Balancer

I actually still maintain that big modpack I made 2 years ago, It just got updated! But I mainly play it with friends due to lack of outside interest. It is still really fun though! Im also going to college in a few months so I might have to discontinue the modpack at that point :/.
    ColdFuseon likes this.
  3. OrionLT

OrionLT Reinvented The Wheel

Hey guys!
    I've just remembered SoA and I want to tell you that this game was a perspective creativity tool for me. It was realistic [I know you were not meaning it to be but still] and the voxels were small so the game offered so many possibilities like a piece of paper.
    Thank you!
  4. NeonSturm

NeonSturm Back Into Space

A matrix has 16 values, but 2 vectors only have 8. Sometimes you just don't need scale or rotation when you know it's aligned or rotation-symmetrical like a plasma bullet.
    And then, I optimize it and multiply code lines by a factor of 8 while dividing compatibility by 4.

It's easier to start with JavaScript/PHP where I try to setup this:
    definition: .var1{min, avg, max} += .var2{min, avg, max}
    instance: .var1{zero, byte/2, byte} += .var2{minus, int/2, int}

because they mismatch, they get transformed like this: value/(int/byte) + some rounding.
    Also the precision shrinks, but the precision is not a run-time variable, but a compiler/parser-variable which can walk backward to the caller function so that int isn't even requested.

And if I now have degree and radians, they would just be different value-ranges, but not in memory - only in interpretation.
    Why I try to do it? because I want to have possible values for variables inside my code - the average helps to imagine the value distribution.
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
    NeonSturm, Feb 23, 2017
    Last edited by NeonSturm; at Apr 5, 2017
  5. FruitGish

FruitGish Reinvented The Wheel

There it goes again.
    TYHENDER likes this.
  6. PsychoticLeprechaun

• Dev Member
    Nuhuh! Just not much to tell, unfortunately. Personally I'm still teaching myself some core things I want to learn before doing any meaningful work, and when put against my uni, society and outreach workloads it all stacks up - not enough hours in a day! :(
    joppiesaus likes this.
  7. TYHENDER

TYHENDER Industrial Re-revolutionist

Lol,that's gold!
  8. Shashwah

Shashwah Tester

• Tester
    I ended up porting my game originally built from zombiegame to macOS and Linux with relative ease and was able to keep SDL_ttf. I'm happy to see that other people are trying this as well though, my current game is essentially a souped up version of zombiegame but it will be worked on part time so no release for a while. You can see it here: and I'm uploading more progress reports in the future so if you ever need any help or advice on some things then please contact me :soa:
  9. TYHENDER

TYHENDER Industrial Re-revolutionist

As I said, Vorb engine,atleast at stage of what it is in zombiegame,is portable to Linux.
  10. aaronfranke

aaronfranke Crash Landed

I find it fascinating that you claim not to know too much about engine development but it seems that you've created an amazing engine so far!

I wonder how awesome the end result of further improvement will work out?

Do you think that Vulkan could be a thing in SoA? Do you know any Vulkan code? Vulkan is supposed to be harder but it seems like it would be worth learning.
    aaronfranke, Mar 12, 2017
    Last edited by aaronfranke; at Mar 12, 2017
    OrionLT likes this.
  11. Danarkivus-2

Danarkivus-2 Back Into Space

I am still around I just visited every six months or so.
    I will be very active if or when another version of the game comes out though
    I may even do a video on it if it were to come out.
  12. Arpak

Arpak Moderator - Former CM

I fisted an Audi the other day
  13. FruitGish

FruitGish Reinvented The Wheel

What's with Ben?
  14. PsychoticLeprechaun

• Dev Member
    Ben has a lot on his plate right now in the way of work for ArenaNet.
  15. Agarthan

Agarthan Reinvented The Wheel

Wow this makes me sad, this game had so much potential.