1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Being vegan is not *cool*.

Discussion in 'Nerd Out Zone' started by TYHENDER, Sep 17, 2016.

1. TYHENDER

TYHENDER Industrial Re-revolutionist

Sooo........

Vegans are now being a part of pop culture. I see a lot of peole, here on the web, that say that being vegan is healthy,cool,blah,blah,blah. But , maybe you can argue that, being vegan isn't much healthier than being *normal*(yeaahh,you can start butthurting), or even less healthier. And yeah, maybe the one who is reading this, nad is vegan,is normal, but almost every vegan i saw.. is a ignorant cunt.

So.......
    Also i hate how vegans say they are saving animals. No,you are not. Animals is still getting killed. If you don't eat a stake, someone else in the world will eat it. And saving a *domestic* cow is tupid. C'mon,it's domestic. It can't live without us. We are feading it to eat it later. And i think our creator, whoever he is , made us carnivores so we could survive.

And yeah, if you are vegan, and you are normal person, you shouldn't say crap without proving it. I did not prove anything,because this post is just an attempt to start discussion , but i'm ready to counter-argument with proofs.

Sooooo....
    I know this web-site is unpopular,but i just want too see if there's any vegans I CAN EATT. Just kidding,have a nice day,vegan!
  2. zeroinnocent

zeroinnocent Tester

• Tester
    Haha epick!
    joppiesaus likes this.
  3. TYHENDER

You tried to be offensive,or are you saying that seriously?
  4. Thomas988

Thomas988 Back Into Space

Meh. Like all groups of people (except Flat Earthers, anti-vaxxers, etc., they're utterly unacceptable), I really don't care what a person is into, in this case vegan-ism. I don't at all agree with the idea of going vegan, but I don't think any way of life is better than another. Frankly I'd rather judge a person based on their character and behavior, not what they believe in.

The vegans I don't like are the ones that shove their agenda down others' throats. Then again, that can apply to all people I don't enjoy (Flat Earthers, anti-vaxxers, etc.).
  5. Lionitow

Lionitow Reinvented The Wheel

It's more that they put thmeselves upon the others as they believe to be the owners of absolute truth. "NASA is fake, vaccines cause autism, meat is literally poison and it will cause you cancer" and so on.
    They are superior to you, even if clearly wrong, because you are a brainwashed sheep. This belief is necessary for conspiracy teorists as they just have no points from their side but this.
    And that's the reason why probably those people who you OP say become vegan to follow the trend embrace that diet.

Veganism, if not fundamentalist, is quite good as it is a more sustainable and less violence causing way to eat (some say also healthier, but this varies a lot based on the diet you have and the quality of food in it).
    Thomas988 likes this.
  6. PsychoticLeprechaun

PsychoticLeprechaun Designer & Web Developer

• Dev Member
    So, I am definitely not a vegan myself - bacon butties, roast dinners, bolognese and all are my go to meals. I do, however, live with two vegans and have many friends who are vegetarian/vegan. There seems to be a disparity between those that choose to be vegan because it is "cool" and those that understand the real arguments in support of removing animal produce from our diet: the ethical, ecological and economical benefits are huge. I have had the good fortune that all people I know who are vegetarian/vegan fall into the latter camp.

There is a real problem in this internet-age with bandwagon arguments, and they go both ways. I see way too many people on the internet who are vegan for the bad ("cool") reasons, anti-vaxxers, etc. but also those that immediately jump on the bandwagon of therefore being against all people who live life the same ways as the people with the bad arguments (though there are no good reasons to be anti-vaccination of course). What we really need is for people to be more level-headed and weigh up all arguments before coming to a conclusion, and certainly not using the conclusion to then generalise all who come to a different conclusion as bad, or stupid.

The simple example of veganism (or more accurately the removal of animal produce from our diet): logically veganism is the right way for humanity to go right now. Ecologically we need far too much space for producing food, and animals are way more inefficient than grain and other plant produce. Economically we have to expend more energy, and so resources, to farm animals. Both of these also mean we contribute far more to greenhouse gas production by farming animals instead of plant-life. Ethically almost all farmed animals experience pain in a way indistinguishable from ourselves, and show various other features of consciousness that we ourselves have. If we believe killing humans for food is bad, then we can't have a double-standard if the science says the animals will have a similar experience to us. About the only two exceptions to this are insects and some (maybe all) fish. Both are very simplistic and their responses to pain are autonomous (they react the same way as your leg does when you tap your knee, or your arm does when you touch a hot pan - you aren't aware of the pain before you've already jerked your limb as your spine shortcuts the response before the signal reaches your brain). Of the two, fish are very hard to farm well ecologically-speaking; overfishing is a huge problem. On the other hand, insects would be a great addition to a vegetarian lifestyle as they are high in protein, low in fat, easy to farm and not likely all that conscious. People who choose to be vegan on these arguments, I have absolutely no issue with, but people who are pushy about an ideology that is flawed and weak in its logic... damn those people annoy me.

All this said, I still love my bacon, sausage and cheese butties in the morning. :p
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2016
    PsychoticLeprechaun, Sep 23, 2016
    Last edited by PsychoticLeprechaun; at Sep 24, 2016
    joppiesaus and Thomas988 like this.
  7. TYHENDER

Ehh, veganism saves money,but not for you.
    Those,who are currently richer,clever -er(i know it's 'more clever',but i like how cleverer sounds) want for YOU to eat VEGGIES,because we are slowly running out of meat. And being vegan won't change too much for animals. That animal wil still die,because 6,8 billions of people does not follow what they have been told want to eat(Me,Matt,Thomas etc. =D).
    So basically,those,who are richer,try to make you vegan,because then,you will eat less healthy food(veggies is healthy too,but you need more vegan food to get the same amount of energy as eating meat),so the others will have more meat.

So basically,if you are eating only veggies today because you are vegan,remind yourself that someone other in the world(Donald Trump,etc.) eats one more beacon.
  8. PsychoticLeprechaun

• Dev Member
    Well if that was true, then it would be the rich dying earlier than the poor: it is unhealthier to eat meats except for fish and chicken than it is to get the same nutrients from nuts, mycoproteins and the like. By removing animal-produce from your diet, you can introduce healthier sources of protein and so on that has better balances of fat content and less carcinogens in them.

Also, it's not about running out of meat, we're certainly not running out, it's that as more and more people in the world can afford to eat meat and other animal-produce (which typically cost more than their plant-based counterparts) we need more and more farm space to first grow crops to then feed to animals. If we just directly ate the crops we could feed far more people in the world with a healthy amount of food: this is the problem right now, that to feed the entire world a healthy amount would require much of the crops used to feed animals to instead be used to feed humans directly. Read this if you want to know more.

Also, as demand for meat lessens, fewer animals will be farmed and so fewer will be slaughtered or kept in bad living conditions (such as in intensive farming) - which is the main component of the ethical argument. My only argument for animal-produce in my diet right now is that it is easier for balancing the nutrients I need at uni (I have to think less about what I eat), and that it tastes so good of course! I'm keenly watching the lab-grown meat space though, as by 2030 we may see a good portion of meats grown in labs instead of in farms, which would be far more efficient, ethical and healthy (we could design the meat to have all the right nutrients).
    Thomas988 and joppiesaus like this.
  9. TYHENDER

A lot of bugs are edible,and some of them is more healthy,and meat of future may be bugs =D.

>> fewer animals will be farmed

Some animals ,like cows, can't live in wild life. So basically, they SHOULD be farmed by humans or else...well,they'll die.
    And if they are farmed,why can't we eat them?Well,they got a good lifetime,that they would not get in wild life,so yeah... Choose yourself,i'm going to eat as much cow meat as i want,or i'll go vegeterian and every cow becomes dead =D.

And other thing about ethical questions. Scientist say(well,most of them, except some idiots from PeTA) that MOST aimals (including cows) can't think like we do. Actually, they don't care that they are being killed very much.
  10. PsychoticLeprechaun

• Dev Member
    I hope so! Insects would be a great stop-gap while we develop efficient lab-grown meat methods.

We can't justify eating meat on the basis of cows having a good life; that is just not true - google "cow intensive farming" and look at the images (you can do the same for many animals, pigs for example are quite often kept in cages where they simply cannot move). We change their genetics to the point where they struggle to walk or do anything other than grow meat as quick as possible for as little feed as possible. The question is, is a life where the animals get to do nothing by choice, nor live well, fair? It seems that based on how we treat farm animals that it is far more ethical to just not encourage their existence and instead if they can't survive in the wild let them die out. I would certainly rather not exist than be born and kept in a cage my entire life before being killed.

Nah, neuroscientists and psychologists would agree that animals as complex as farm animals are not capable of the same abstract thought and communication ability of humans, but evidence points to them experiencing pain the same way we do.
    joppiesaus likes this.
  11. TYHENDER

They fill pain pure mechanically,they won't fill same emotions as we do.

About intensive farming - yeah that sucks for animals. But there where i live(Ukraine) there's no such thing :D.

>>lab-grown meat
    It would be a great thing in the future!But right now,those "meats" we have now,does not even taste as normal meat. So till then gonna eat natural meat.