1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ben - Aug 9 2015

Discussion in 'Developer Progress Reports' started by Benjamin, Aug 10, 2015.

1. Benjamin

Benjamin Lead Developer

• Dev Leader
    Hey guys! Been a while.

Since the last progress report, I have mainly been working with cristian on the voxel API. It's a lot of work to get it right, but it is well worth it in the end. But first lets start with TREEES!

[​IMG]

I did a lot of work on trees, mainly optimizations, such as getting rid of redundant nodes. I also added the ability for trees to have "fruit" generation, which basically generates a subflora. In the above image, you can see vines that are generated with this system. I have since moved on from flora generation, as I am pretty happy with it's current state.

Cristian and I have been working a lot on a new Acquire/Release API for generating voxel chunks. With this API, it is trivial to get and load any chunk in the game by simply providing the coordinates, and it's thread-safe too! This is perfect for mods, and it really does make a lot of the code a whole lot cleaner. We have also added a ChunkSphere component as part of our entity component system. This component loads a spherical area of chunks around a given position. We can use it to load chunks for the player, mods, entities, and even animals moving around on the terrain beyond the player view distance.

All of this work needs to be done to pave the way for modding and multiplayer, and so far it is coming along quite well. A lot of care (maybe too much care) is being taken to keep this API fast, as we are proud of being one of the fastest voxel games, but of course there is a bit of a price with the synchronization between threads. Luckily, this synchronization is fairly low overhead, and there's still more things we can do to improve the acquire speed for normal gameplay.

Once I finish with this stuff, I will be able to add multithreaded tree generation to Aldrin using our FloraGenerator, as well as start work on voxel edits and cellular automata physics with the new API! Expect new liquids in the future.
    Gram, Thomas988, joppiesaus and 5 others like this.
  2. ColdFuseon

ColdFuseon Lost in Space

• Contributor
    Woaah ! :eek::eek: Trees are gonna be awesome !
    Benjamin, Michael-CM and Xion like this.
  3. Arctic

Arctic Giant Robot Advocate

• Tester
    Of happenings...
    Benjamin likes this.
  4. FruitGish

FruitGish Reinvented The Wheel

Trees looks bad at current state =(
    Benjamin likes this.
  5. Sevio

Sevio Back Into Space

Keep in mind that trees in that other well-known voxel game also consist of blobs of leaf blocks, but since they are smaller and you're much closer to them usually, the texture helps mask their blobbiness.

That said there is definitely some room for improvement, maybe adding some noise or fractal structure to the leaf block generation so the blobs don't look so obviously ellipsoid from a distance. Don't have to get it right all at once though, sometimes it's good to move from a moderately developed area of the game to something that's yet undeveloped.

I'm definitely glad to hear the groundwork for multithreading, modding and multiplayer is being put into place now. :)
    Benjamin likes this.
  6. PsychoticLeprechaun

PsychoticLeprechaun Designer & Web Developer

• Dev Member
    I'd also add that the generation is data-driven, and it will be up to the designers and modders to find the best settings for good-looking trees - so the programmers can continue working on more awesome features in the game and engine.

The bottom line being, Ben likely didn't spend too long making that tree look absolutely perfect. (Not to say there isn't room for improvement - there always is!)
    Benjamin likes this.
  7. Danarkivus-2

Danarkivus-2 Back Into Space

great now i can have a min dev report video if nothing else comes out this week.
    Benjamin likes this.
  8. Benjamin

Benjamin Lead Developer

• Dev Leader
    I agree! I don't like the leaves. This leaf type looks excellent for small trees, but for giant trees it looks too round. I wanted to move on to other things for now but I will be improving it in the future. As Matthew said, my focus right now isn't designing the actual trees, its designing the systems so that you all can make cool trees.
    Benjamin, Aug 10, 2015
    Last edited by Benjamin; at Aug 10, 2015
  9. Lionitow

Lionitow Reinvented The Wheel

New liquids? Sounds tasty. Can't wait to have my first bath in lava.
    Benjamin and FruitGish like this.
  10. Arctic

• Tester
    What about magma?
    FruitGish likes this.
  11. FruitGish

MAGMA VS LAVA
  12. Arctic

• Tester
    WHICH WILL WIN? TUNE IN AT 9 PM TONIGHT ONLY ON PAY PER VIEW
    FruitGish likes this.
  13. zeroinnocent

zeroinnocent Tester

• Tester
    Nice loking good. Going to be cool growing food from trees!
    Lionitow likes this.
  14. FruitGish

Magma is hotter but more thick.
    Lionitow likes this.
  15. Lionitow

It is magma when deeper in the earth, lava when it comes on surface. For example, you talk about "magma rooms" (how the hell you say it English) and "lava floods".
    At least this is what I always heard.
  16. Sevio

Sevio Back Into Space

On the topic of lava, people tend to think of it as a "hot water" you can fall into and be entirely submerged but this is not true, it is so dense that if you fell into a lava lake you would instead land on it, sink a little bit and be burned, see this example of what happens when you step your shoe onto a lava flow:

Sevio, Aug 11, 2015
    Last edited by Sevio; at Aug 11, 2015
    Gram and _zombiehunter like this.
  17. Lionitow

I believe its viscosity can be compared with quicksands.
    I think that temperature counts too, the more it is hot the more it's fluid.
  18. Sevio

Sevio Back Into Space

Its viscosity is indeed very high, which means it takes a lot for it to "move out of the way", but it is probably much denser than quicksand (3 kg/l to a human's ~1kg/l so you would simply float on it like you do on the dead sea, where the extremely salt water creates a density higher than that of people.
  19. Thomas988

Thomas988 Back Into Space

Good stuff, good stuff! :D
  20. Sevio

Sevio Back Into Space

Except for the "burning alive" part. :p
    NeonSturm likes this.