1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ben - June 12 2015

Discussion in 'Developer Progress Reports' started by Benjamin, Jun 13, 2015.

1. Benjamin

Benjamin Lead Developer

• Dev Leader
    Yo! I am still doing a lot of backend voxel stuff so I can't show you anything there, but today I worked on some new terrain stuff and I want to show off some screenshots.

Aldrin now has much better mountains thanks to cellular noise! I need to do better with the terrain and water texturing, as you can probably tell. There's also a bug with atmospheric scattering, which is apparent on some of the bonus images.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Stay tuned for more goodies later on.
    Benjamin, Jun 13, 2015
    Last edited by Benjamin; at Jun 13, 2015
    Sevio, Thomas988, joppiesaus and 3 others like this.
  2. Xion

Xion Industrial Re-revolutionist

Oh, shit. This is so cool.
    ColdFuseon and Benjamin like this.
  3. Benjamin

Benjamin Lead Developer

• Dev Leader
    Mountains are going to change a lot more, this is just WIP right now.
    ColdFuseon and Xion like this.
  4. Gingy

Gingy Back Into Space

I feel like I've said this before, but I can't wait to see the end results. :3
  5. Xion

Could you make a video on terrain generation algorithms? I have no idea how any of it works. Would be really interesting.
  6. Benjamin

Benjamin Lead Developer

• Dev Leader
    How about a blog post + video? I could do that. I have been meaning to discuss generation in detail and I feel like I owe you guys.
    Benjamin, Jun 13, 2015
    Last edited by Benjamin; at Jun 13, 2015
    Thomas988, ColdFuseon and Xion like this.
  7. Xion

You're the best.

Edit: Why am I awake?
    Xion, Jun 13, 2015
    Last edited by Xion; at Jun 13, 2015
    ColdFuseon likes this.
  8. ColdFuseon

ColdFuseon Lost in Space

• Contributor
    Oh man that looks so gooood !
  9. Thomas988

Thomas988 Back Into Space

HOLY FUDGING CRAP, BEN

SOA HAS BECOME SPACE ENGINE

YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW MUCH I LOVE YOU
    ColdFuseon likes this.
  10. Danarkivus-2

Danarkivus-2 Back Into Space

cool cant wait for more.!!!
    ColdFuseon and Thomas988 like this.
  11. Arctic

Arctic Giant Robot Advocate

• Tester
    Hot damn, this is cool.
    ColdFuseon and Thomas988 like this.
  12. Thomas988

Thomas988 Back Into Space

Preach it! :D
    ColdFuseon likes this.
  13. Sevio

Sevio Back Into Space

Loving the new detail in the mountains! Now to convert that procedural noise into delicious voxels for us to break and build with... :D
    ColdFuseon likes this.
  14. tetryds

tetryds cus tet, that's it

That looks good, but bear in mind that simply adding mountains around with noise is not enough, you should start by generating tectonic plates, give them motion vectors and generate failures/mountain ranges depending on that.
    That also serves for the distribution of volcanoes and oceans.
    Then you add the normal mountains and cliffs, then the plateaus, then the minor geographic features.
    Ah, and this all varies depending on the planet/moon formation as well as some other stuff.
  15. Xion

This would be really cool, but I don't think it's something they should be focusing on at the moment. They need a fully functioning demo for a kick starter. Something like this would be great in a mod that, who knows, maybe they will implement in the future.
  16. Gingy

Gingy Back Into Space

We can dream, can't we? I definitely think the developers should impliment that, but if a playable demo is higher priority, I can wait. I'm sure I'm not the only one who can.
    Thomas988 likes this.
  17. Benjamin

Benjamin Lead Developer

• Dev Leader
    Right now the focus is to make planet gen believable and interesting. Tectonic plate simulation greatly complicates things and the majority of end users won't even know the difference, so it's definitely not something worth spending time on right now.
  18. Sevio

Sevio Back Into Space

Playing devil's advocate for a moment... :devil:

If the focus is to make planet generation believable and interesting, a simplistic model incorporating tectonic plates and some climate stuff could be exactly the thing that's worth spending time on to make the procedural terrain look believable on the planetary scale, rather than an agglomeration of biomes that merges into more or less the same pattern as you zoom out, as in Minecraft.

That said I do agree that just using a large scale noise function to provide the continents and mountains should give results that are just fine to the untrained eye. :)
    Thomas988 likes this.
  19. Benjamin

Benjamin Lead Developer

• Dev Leader
    That's the idea. Tectonic plate simulation wouldn't just take a long time to program, it would probably slow generation as well, unless it was a good approximation.
    Thomas988 likes this.
  20. tetryds

tetryds cus tet, that's it

If anything, just use a noise type that generates mountain ranges spread on a line fashion rather than punctual, which is what you usually get from the most common noise types.
    Then remember that they are not everywhere, and are much higher than any other common mountain formation.