1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ben - June 14 2015

Discussion in 'Developer Progress Reports' started by Benjamin, Jun 15, 2015.

1. Benjamin

Benjamin Lead Developer

• Dev Leader
    Friend got back in town two days ago so I have been spending a good bit of time with him, but I've been playing around with voxel models a bit over the past couple days as well. I wanted to experiment with voxel smoothing, because I think it will give us a much better overall aesthetic, and will allow us to apply 2D facial animation textures to our models to allow a wide range of expressions. Here's some in progress shots showing different variations of marching cubes. There is still a lot of work to be done, and I want to try implementing dual contouring as well, though it's a much more difficult algorithm. Know that all of the below images are a series of experiments. As the images progress, the algorithm changes.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

It still doesn't look too good, but there's still lots of tweaks and enhancements to be had. Hard part is going to be getting facial animation sprites that go well with the art style. I will likely have to try lots of things.
    Benjamin, Jun 15, 2015
    Last edited by Benjamin; at Jun 15, 2015
    Thomas988, ColdFuseon and Con No 1 like this.
  2. Shashwah

Shashwah Tester

• Tester
    For what it is, I have to say, it looks promising. It looks simplistic currently but it shows that there will be some good looking models in the game.
    Good luck with all of this Ben, I know it's not an easy thing to do but you have managed to do it pretty darn well so far.
    ColdFuseon likes this.
  3. NeonSturm

NeonSturm Back Into Space

The texture needs soft and sharp transitions.
    Soft transition between similar-material areas (skin-skin | lips-lips | ...).
    Hard transition between different-material areas (pupil, iris | skin, red skin (lips) | body, clothes)​

Requires either manual editing or pattern-detection. Simple pattern detection can work with integrals/differentials along a line of sample points to detect transitions. Transition-strength of horizontal, vertical or diagonal calculations can merge additively for hue-hue, brightness-brightness, ... and merge with multiplication through parameters (hue-diff * brightness-diff * ...). The result is a polygon between transitions depending on sample point distance.
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2015
    NeonSturm, Jun 15, 2015
    Last edited by NeonSturm; at Jun 15, 2015
    ColdFuseon likes this.
  4. ColdFuseon

ColdFuseon Lost in Space

• Contributor
  5. Thomas988

Thomas988 Back Into Space

Wow, that is so cool! :D
    ColdFuseon likes this.
  6. Sevio

Sevio Back Into Space

I'm not sure what to think of the voxel smoothing. On one hand, smoother voxels, yay! On the other hand, it might put the smoothed microscale voxels in sharp contrast with the unsmoothed voxels of the terrain.

Looking back on Cube World (shame that it was abandoned for a long time, I don't know if development is back on rails now), I did like the consistency of the characters, equipment, weapons and items all being made of voxels despite the increased detail over minecraft. The vibrant, retro graphics theme probably helped with that.
    [​IMG]

With SoA going a more realistic style, maybe small voxel smoothing will work out better, as long as the textures get more detail than in the original post's example pictures. :)

If you do end up going ahead with smoothing the smaller voxels, do you plan to do the same for naturally generated terrain?
    ColdFuseon likes this.
  7. Thomas988

Thomas988 Back Into Space

One of my concerns with simple cube terrain is how driving vehicles will work. Going up cubes wouldn't be too nice with tires. If smoother terrain was implemented, I could see vehicles being much better.
    ColdFuseon likes this.
  8. Benjamin

Benjamin Lead Developer

• Dev Leader
    We are going to be improving the texturing on the models of course, and we are also going to experiment with smooth terrain. I don't want to get rid of blocks completely, but it would be cool to be able to mix blocks and smooth terrain.
  9. Sevio

Sevio Back Into Space

SoA blocks are only half the dimensions of Minecraft blocks, (equal to the height of a minecraft stair-step)and going up stairs or long slab stairs in Minecraft feels fairly acceptable, I think even for the vehicles in Flan's mod as far as I've seen in videos. The motion of the vehicle is simply smoothed out as you move up a blocky slope, Cube World did something similar where your character would move fairly smoothly up a blocky hill.

If SoA does get smoothed terrain, I think the player will need powerful tools to shape smoothed blocks (for landscaping purposes or a different building style) as well as building full blocky-blocks. The Carpenter's Blocks mod for Minecraft has several sloped blocks you can configure using a hammer, and then give them a texture by putting your chosen full block into the carpenter's block, but this method is a little bit tedious for large numbers of blocks.
    [​IMG]
    ColdFuseon likes this.
  10. Cisla

Cisla Reinvented The Wheel

So first i'm all for voxel smoothing, the original version look like a bad animation compared to the new one, and i think with a little work it can be better for the playermodels, because it's not perfect but still good. On the other hand, the alien plant look really good, and i'm generally for voxel smoothing because i got a shit tier PC and voxel smoothing actually require less polygons (I guess, uh?)
    And for smoothed terrain, you can look at "7 days to die", it's a voxel game with smoothed map (basically there are two type of blocks, cubic one and hexagonal ones, but look it up), i think it's ok, because even tought in 7dtd the system is messed up and it's hard to build, i don't see how vehicle could work in soa with cubic world, except tanks, because most vehicles have (i'm not sure with the word), a rocker (if it's not the goot word i mean the space between the floor and the car bottom) , so most car have a rocker lower than 50 cm meaning they couldn't going up an hill.

[​IMG] 7 days to die smotthed terrain'

Last edited: Jun 16, 2015
    Cisla, Jun 16, 2015
    Last edited by Cisla; at Jun 16, 2015
    NeonSturm, Thomas988 and ColdFuseon like this.
  11. Sevio

Sevio Back Into Space

Voxel smoothing might use a few less polygons, but there will be more CPU involved in determining how they link up with each other, because that will vary for each block based on what blocks are around it. If you have a bad computer, you'd better hope that they don't do any smoothing. :p

As far as the "rocker" goes: I think you mean a suspension or shock absorber. Yes, real cars can't drive up a 50 cm ledge, but this is a question of how accurate you want your vehicle simulation to be. With a simplified vehicle model you can allow in-game cars to drive up 50 cm blocks as long as the average terrain under them doesn't put them on too steep a slope.
    ColdFuseon likes this.
  12. Benjamin

Benjamin Lead Developer

• Dev Leader
    The current implementations of voxel smoothing are definitely a lot slower than normal voxel meshing, which could pose a problem for cellular automata physics. We will do a lot of experimentation and get a lot of feedback from you guys before we set anything in stone. So far I only implemented marching cubes but I am looking into dual contouring in OpenCL (The math is hard so I am taking a break from that :p)
    Thomas988 and ColdFuseon like this.
  13. Sevio

Sevio Back Into Space

This thread might also be relevant to the discussion of voxel smoothing, apparently VoxelFarm uses dual contouring and the results do seem quite impressive.

Looked briefly at the dual marching cubes paper and the low number of polys it produces does seem like an attractive property for this game!
    Sevio, Jun 25, 2015
    Last edited by Sevio; at Jun 25, 2015
    Abominas likes this.
  14. Abominas

Abominas Crash Landed

Ok, thanks for your suggestion. I'll remove the post here and move it to the thread. :)