1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ben - June 22 2015

Discussion in 'Developer Progress Reports' started by Benjamin, Jun 23, 2015.

1. Benjamin

Benjamin Lead Developer

• Dev Leader
    Hey guys, been a while since my last report since I don't like posting things that just say "Today I worked on backend stuff. I have nothing to show." But since I did some visible stuff today I'll go ahead and talk a bit about what I've been doing!

Over the past week I've been basically re-making the entire voxel architecture. It is getting faster, clearner, less buggy, and more extensible, thanks to the knowledge I have gained over the past year as well as help from Darth Zaloj.

Today in particular I rewrote our greedy mesher. It's not done yet, but so far I am pretty psyched about it. I took 1200 lines of buggy merging code and turned it into about 40 lines with my new greedy merging variant that I came up with, that I like to call Look-Behind Greedy Merging. Unlike the greedy merging algorithm and my old buggy semi-optimized version, this merging requires a SINGLE pass through the data. It merges as it goes along, and checking a merge is pretty much O(1) in time complexity. It's MUCH faster than the old method, though the merging is only part of the overhead of course. I suspect you won't notice much of a difference in most cases, but during lots of cellular automata physics you might notice that the meshes are rebuilding a bit faster. I'll make a blog post detailing the algorithm with source code in the future.

[​IMG]

The baked ambient occlusion absolutely destroys merging, since the vertex data differs. I want to experiment with SSAO instead of baked AO, since I think it the reduced polycount will offset the performance hit, and SSAO will look better anyways.

[​IMG]

Heres merging without AO,

[​IMG]

You can see lots of long triangles where the merging cuts tons of polys. Now look at it with AO...

[​IMG]

Almost nothing merges... Just terrible... Now, the world won't normally be layed out for the worst case like this, but still.

Tomorrow I am going to work on texturing for the mesher, as well as normal mapping and displacement mapping. Stay tuned for sexy pics when I finish it!
    Benjamin, Jun 23, 2015
    Last edited by Benjamin; at Jun 23, 2015
  2. Thomas988

Thomas988 Back Into Space

*hypening intensifies ten-fold*
    Benjamin and ColdFuseon like this.
  3. Danarkivus-2

Danarkivus-2 Back Into Space

fix that for you.
    Danarkivus-2, Jun 23, 2015
    Last edited by Danarkivus-2; at Jun 23, 2015
    Benjamin, ColdFuseon and Thomas988 like this.
  4. Arctic

Arctic Giant Robot Advocate

• Tester
    It only gets more optimized.
    ColdFuseon and Benjamin like this.
  5. Sevio

Sevio Back Into Space

Gotta go fast with those voxels! :thumbup:
    Thomas988 and ColdFuseon like this.