1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ben - June 5 2015

Discussion in 'Developer Progress Reports' started by Benjamin, Jun 6, 2015.

1. Benjamin

Benjamin Lead Developer

• Dev Leader
    I stayed up late last night since my roomates were going out of town, really regretted it this morning :p

Today was more backend stuff for the most part, mainly with rendering and related bugfixes. However, I did add a splash screen for the Vorb engine and Regrowth Studios! The Vorb animation is a modified one that Cristian made for a game that used Vorb.

Commits
    Vorb Engine: 1
    Game Code: 6
    Game Data: 4
    Total: 11
  2. Thomas988

Thomas988 Back Into Space

Oh wow, that looks so good! Although at the end of the video was screaming in my head "PRESS NEW GAME!"

Good stuff, Ben! :D
    Benjamin likes this.
  3. Benjamin

Benjamin Lead Developer

• Dev Leader
    Haha SOON! I have some cool ideas for a loading transition from main menu to game, which I will probably work on tomorrow. I'm overdue for tutorials too, gotta record 2 this weekend.
    ColdFuseon and Thomas988 like this.
  4. Thomas988

Cool stuff!
    Benjamin and ColdFuseon like this.
  5. Xion

Xion Industrial Re-revolutionist

You're a busy guy, Ben. I appreciate that. You are doing us all a great service and I can't wait to repay you in any way I can as soon as I can. I just hope that, at some point, this pays off a million-fold for you and your team.
    Xion, Jun 6, 2015
    Last edited by Xion; at Jun 6, 2015
  6. NeonSturm

NeonSturm Back Into Space

I am more annoyed if you have to watch videos before you can play your game.

I like the way Robocraft did it - just show informations below the login, like a forum has it's contact-info, etc.

Supreme commander also got a nice way to display videos next to the menu or text which they intended for trailers, but it could also play the video from the Opening Post.
  7. Gingy

Gingy Back Into Space

For some reason, the splash screen makes the game look more polished to me.
    Benjamin, ColdFuseon and Thomas988 like this.
  8. Thomas988

It just has the executive look to it, right? ;)
    Thomas988, Jun 6, 2015
    Last edited by Thomas988; at Jun 6, 2015
  9. PsychoticLeprechaun

PsychoticLeprechaun Designer & Web Developer

• Dev Member
    Yup, one thing we want for 0.2.0 is really show you guys and new people to the project, that we are really taking this seriously. Things like the splash screen, and some other changes we'll announce soon enough are all endeavours towards that end!
  10. Thomas988

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
  11. PsychoticLeprechaun

• Dev Member
    [​IMG]
    PsychoticLeprechaun, Jun 6, 2015
    Last edited by PsychoticLeprechaun; at Jun 6, 2015
  12. ColdFuseon

ColdFuseon Lost in Space

• Contributor
    Mmmmh .. appearently Julien has been making something in secret .. Ben didn't tell more .. what else could you be thinking about ..
    Benjamin likes this.
  13. PsychoticLeprechaun

• Dev Member
    I couldn't possibly say! ;) I think we may be telling you about some of it in the upcoming Developer Progress Report. I've been busy for the last week or so sorting that part out, and it is quite important for getting the game ready for the Kickstarter.

(The reason I can't say is actually because the process is ongoing, and we need to have an internal meeting for one aspect and finish the decision-making for another before we actually have an outcome to tell y'all).
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2015
    PsychoticLeprechaun, Jun 6, 2015
    Last edited by PsychoticLeprechaun; at Jun 6, 2015
  14. Thomas988

Kickstarter?! Count me in! :D
  15. joppiesaus

joppiesaus Infamous Space-Octopus

This new splashscreen system is great, now we can see the Electrified Arts™® logo extra big!
    Gingy, Benjamin, Thomas988 and 2 others like this.
  16. tetryds

tetryds cus tet, that's it

Nothing against a fast splashscreen at all, it could happen during the loading of the menus and stuff.
    If that is not needed, making it possible to skip would solve any problem.

The Vorb logo is minimalistic and looks good, it could be a bit faster though, and use custom movement speeds so that the block does not take an eternity to dock.
    You also need some background, full white is a bit painful to the eyes on bright monitors, maybe a vignette or something like that.

The regrowth studios logo is great, I would just change the letter R a bit, if you compare to the rest it looks like a sapling on steroids, not bad just a detail.
    Now the "STUDIOS" transition looks very amateur, you can do better than that, the text itself could also get some love, maybe a dry clambering plant.

Oh, and sounds, of course.

*I would personally rather if the "Regrowth" text had motion graphics, starting from where it is now, parts of it would grow some leaves and small branches, making it feel more alive.
  17. NeonSturm

NeonSturm Back Into Space

Mostly black can be a depressing colour if not saturated with the image of milky-way, etc.
    Mostly white looks sterile and boring.

A blue daylight-sky gradient behind the text is neutral in colours an can seamless change into either planet-view or planet-system-view by zooming in or out to the menu's background. ((Clicking could show the menu instantly and speed up the video-background))

Make it unique by having the splash-screen make place for the menu (shifts downward/sidewards) out of screen to make place for a menu, like the old video-tapes with pictures next to each other.

Show seam-less integration of all parts with an animated menu-background in similar colours or theme.
    Or don't show just space. Show the beautiful world that can be created.

Professional look is not created by a splash screen, today it's created by living menu parts, 3D and theme-integrity.

And maybe something that reminds you about other professional products.
    One game like Warcraft could have a menu which falls down with animated chains holding the letter-boards together.