1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ben - May 14 2015

Discussion in 'Developer Progress Reports' started by Benjamin, May 15, 2015.

1. Benjamin

Benjamin Lead Developer

• Dev Leader
    Unfortunately today I didn't get as much done as I had hoped, due to some errands, some tax stuff (gross), and a group discussion thing I had to fill in for a friend. Still got a decent amount done though!

* Vorb Engine *

Of course, all UI stuff again today. Didn't really change much on the vorb side of things other than exposing some more stuff to LUA and separating script registration from form creation, so that custom user interfaces can easily define their own LUA callbacks.

* Game *

Most of the work was on the SoA side of things today. I started by changing the options system so that instead of hardcoded values, it uses a lookup table. That way, mods can easily add their own options to the options menu. Updating all of the game code with this new method took a decent amount of time, but it was well worth it.

Next, I made it so that LUA could directly modify the options, so that widget value change callbacks could modify the options menu. Here's a sample of LUA code for the gamma slider. As you can see, its really easy!

Code:
    -- The callback
    function onGammaChange(i)
      gamma = i / 1000.0
      Options.setFloat("Gamma", gamma)
      Button.setText(gammaLabel, "Gamma: " .. round(gamma, 2))
    end
    Vorb.register("onGammaChange", onGammaChange)

-- The actual Widgets
    gamma = Options.getOptionFloat("Gamma")
    gammaSlider = Form.makeSlider(this, "GammaSlider", 50, 50, 500, 15)
    SliderStyle.set(gammaSlider)
    Slider.setRange(gammaSlider, 100, 2500)
    Slider.addCallback(gammaSlider, EventType.VALUE_CHANGE, "onGammaChange")

-- Should be a label not a button
    gammaLabel = Form.makeButton(this, "GammaLabel", 560, 40, 300, 50)
    Button.setText(gammaLabel, "Gamma: " .. round(gamma, 2))
    Button.setTextScale(gammaLabel, 0.8, 0.8)
    Button.setBackColor(gammaLabel, 0, 0, 0, 0)
    Button.setBackHoverColor(gammaLabel, 0, 0, 0, 0)
    Button.setTextColor(gammaLabel, 255, 255, 255, 255)
    Button.setTextHoverColor(gammaLabel, 255, 255, 255, 255)

I am cheating and using a button for the label since I haven't made a label widget... maybe I'll make that one tomorrow.

Here's yer screenie. Please ignore how incomplete and ugly it is.

[​IMG]

Tomorrow I need to add some more widgets, work on layout some more, and add auto vertical scrollbars to handle widget overflow on panels. Also I need to pester the artists for some assets.

Commits
    Vorb Engine: 3
    Game Code: 6
    Game Data: 3
    Total: 12 :(

P.S. 5 MORE DAYS HOLY [email protected]#! :eek:
    Benjamin, May 15, 2015
    Last edited by Benjamin; at May 15, 2015
  2. Thomas988

Thomas988 Back Into Space

Any progress is good progress! I'm loving that screenshot; the immensity of the Trinity system is still mind-blowing. Great work as usual, Ben!
    ColdFuseon likes this.
  3. joppiesaus

joppiesaus Infamous Space-Octopus

Why so sad about the amount of commits/amount of work done? Sometimes there are good days and bad days, and sometimes you need 5 commits for a README.md because you made a typo 4 times.
    NeonSturm, Benjamin and ColdFuseon like this.
  4. ColdFuseon

ColdFuseon Lost in Space

• Contributor
    Like Thomas said, the vastness of the Trinity system is really impressing. Really like the screenshots you're giving too. I wonder how many time it will take us to travel from planet to planet in game, will we have a time warp system or will it be short enough to wait ??
    Last edited: May 15, 2015
    ColdFuseon, May 15, 2015
    Last edited by ColdFuseon; at May 15, 2015
  5. PsychoticLeprechaun

PsychoticLeprechaun Designer & Web Developer

• Dev Member
    Getting space travel right will be a challenge. Our focus is on the on/around planet (and other body) gameplay, so space travel might not be too expansive in its first iterations. After all, space itself doesn't really change from place-to-place; on and around the contents of that space are where the fun stuff lies!

Edit: that isn't to say we will ignore it, it will get its time in due course! We need it for some of our plans with respect to the hand written storyline we're creating for you all to enjoy.
    PsychoticLeprechaun, May 15, 2015
    Last edited by PsychoticLeprechaun; at May 15, 2015
  6. _zombiehunter

_zombiehunter Artist & Designer

• Dev Member
    What makes the Trinity star system interesting for space travel isn’t just its overall size, but the different scales of the orbits, allowing you to increase the distance you can travel within a reasonable timeframe by climbing up the tech-ladder. Being able to reach your target planet/moon within minutes instead months or years is a good reason to reach a certain technology step.

As Matthew said, the first steps won’t be too hard or expensive to achieve, allowing for simple space travel on a local scale, e.g. shooting things and stuff into orbit around Aldrin, or with first simple spaceships you should be able to travel to Aldrins neighbour moons at least.
    Further tech steps could increase the range you can travel to the whole Hyperion system, then interplanetary travel within Trinity B’s planet system, next step would be to reach Trinity A’s planet system, and at later tech steps you should be able to reach outer parts of the star system including Trinity C too. Finally, we could even further expand this to different ranges of interstellar travel, the possiblities are basically endless. The exact technology steps have to be worked out yet, although warp drives seem to be one of the more plausible technologies to use for larger distances.
    Snipecoolbunny and ColdFuseon like this.
  7. ColdFuseon

ColdFuseon Lost in Space

• Contributor
    Awesome. Thanks for the explanation guys, but wow man, there's so many worlds to explore in this game. We'll have a lot to do there, that's for sure !
    ColdFuseon, May 15, 2015
    Last edited by ColdFuseon; at May 15, 2015
    Benjamin likes this.
  8. NeonSturm

NeonSturm Back Into Space

From _one_ point of view you're wrong :p
    Space can have different neighbour space which is inhabited by different NPC / people and maybe planet characteristics (atmosphere density... like 1.2kg/m^3 on earth is bad for air-ships)

The combination of what space-time contains or neighbours is what makes it different.

And again, nobody thinks about the slip-stream or lagrange-point drives:'(They also deserve attention ^^
    NeonSturm, May 16, 2015
    Last edited by NeonSturm; at May 16, 2015