1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ben - May 16 2015

Discussion in 'Developer Progress Reports' started by Benjamin, May 17, 2015.

1. Benjamin

Benjamin Lead Developer

• Dev Leader
    More backend UI today! Big surprise :p. I didn't get as much dev time today since I went hiking with friends, and am leaving soon to celebrate graduation with my senior design group, but there was still a substantial improvement to the UI API.

* Vorb Engine*

I started by adding auto-scroll to the panels. Took a while since I had several UI clipping and updating bugs I had to fix along the way, but now panels automatically create sliders that allow you to scroll the contents if they have overflow.

Then I did a fix to the GameWindow and exposed some more stuff to LUA

* Game *

In the game side of things I messed around with our OptionsController and also made it so that SoA could handle all window options changes, also fixed a crash on quit that we have had for forever... (sorry Cristian :whistle:)

I also helped Isaque find a GL crash bug that was occurring only on his machine, turned out to be because we were making a GL call in a non GL thread! That was my bad.

Finally, I fixed a .qb model loading bug on Franks branch, and I am hoping he makes a progress report talking about the model loader here soon. :rolleyes:

Daily image incoming! I'll have an actual UI pic tomorrow. Probably...

[​IMG]

Commits
    Vorb Engine: 7
    Game Data: 1 (added callbacks for checkboxes)
    Game Code: 3 + 1 on VoxelModel branch
    Total: 12

Party time!
  2. Thomas988

Thomas988 Back Into Space

I love it, Ben! Keep 'em comin'! :)
    Benjamin and ColdFuseon like this.
  3. NeonSturm

NeonSturm Back Into Space

I like the background from 15th the most.
    The yellow orbit ring breaks immersion, a grey one or "very lightly indicated" orbit would fit better.

The Sun-Rays also look not very immersive. Perhaps it's plasma, but that would be less regular.
    Sun-Rays are images created by the atmosphere (air in space? ;)), particles, plasma, the space-ship window or our eye-brows.
    Benjamin and ColdFuseon like this.
  4. ColdFuseon

ColdFuseon Lost in Space

• Contributor
    Love your progress reports man ! Like Thomas said, keep em coming !
    Benjamin likes this.
  5. _zombiehunter

_zombiehunter Artist & Designer

• Dev Member
    Orbits are supposed to be clearly visible when you switch them on, and the colors also indicate if you're viewing a star, planet, moon or asteroid orbit. You won't see them by default though.

Rays have absolutely nothing to do with the atmosphere or any plasma in this case. What you see here are diffraction spikes and glow effects caused by lenses ... doesn't matter if you're in space or not. The effects also disappear if the star is out of view. What you had in your mind could be the Tyndall effect causing rays in foggy or dusty atmospheres (which stay visible even when you can't directly see the light source).
    Also, you actually can see some bright irregular plasma close to the star, the corona.

Keep in mind that orbit and star effect colors still need some tweaking, it's all WIP :)
    _zombiehunter, May 17, 2015
    Last edited by _zombiehunter; at May 17, 2015
    joppiesaus, Benjamin and ColdFuseon like this.
  6. NeonSturm

NeonSturm Back Into Space

Still, for loading-screen / option-menu it feels wrong. Depends on where you show it yellow.

But a nice explanation.
    It is difficult to distinguish fact and fiction if you are only familiar with today movies and not studied the object for years.
    On top of that, you experience differences on earth (atmosphere) and with more common low-grade materials rather than high-quality spacecraft ones.