1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ben - May 21 2015

Discussion in 'Developer Progress Reports' started by Benjamin, May 22, 2015.

1. Benjamin

Benjamin Lead Developer

• Dev Leader
    Today was fun! Got to work with procedural generation as well as getting a new programmer set up on the team! Julien should make a post soon.

Didn't do any Vorb stuff today so lets skip right to game.

* Game *

Today I spent pretty much all day working on the random procedural planet generation. Until now, procedural planets had to be hand designed with properties and functions specified in YML files, but we only had Aldrin actually hand designed. As placeholders, we needed to be able to fill in the rest of the planets with random generation.

Planet color is completely random right now. We generate a voronoi diagram of several colors for liquid and surface color for each planet. You can see an example of some of those color maps here:

[​IMG]

The X axis is temperature and the Y axis is humidity, which we also randomly generate with the other noise functions. (see below)

Then we use a 4 passes of a 2-pass 9 sample gaussian blur filter to blur the color maps a bit. Terrain and water textures just use the default one in the texture pack.

The terrain noise functions are randomly generated by randomly creating a list of parameters for different heights, frequencies, octaves, and types of noise. Its very basic right now but it gets the job done.

The atmosphere is randomly generated by just randomizing its color, nothing more.

And now for some examples of randomly generated planets!

First, here's Aldrin, to show a non-randomly generated planet. (It's the best ofc)

[​IMG]
    And now a bunch of randoms!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I also improved loading speed of the game by lazily generating the random planets, meaning it only generates them when you get close.
    Commits
    Game Data: 2
    Game Code: 9
    Total: 11

Tomorrow ill probably work on UI a little more and do some bugfixes in preparation for the Saturday stream!
    Benjamin, May 22, 2015
    Last edited by Benjamin; at May 22, 2015
  2. Thomas988

Thomas988 Back Into Space

T-MINUS THREE DAYS TO DEMO LAUNCH

I REPEAT

THREE DAYS UNTIL DEMO
  3. Sir_Moodz

Sir_Moodz Lord of Andromeda

• Contributor
    the 4th one looks nice
    ColdFuseon and Benjamin like this.
  4. Benjamin

Benjamin Lead Developer

• Dev Leader
    There's a weird seam thing going on with the LOD, you can see it in the very last image. I need to look into why that is happening.
    ColdFuseon likes this.
  5. Xion

Xion Industrial Re-revolutionist

I'm sitting here at a concert in Las Vegas waiting for them to come on stage checking the SoA forums because I'm that excited for this game.
    Benjamin, Thomas988 and ColdFuseon like this.
  6. ColdFuseon

ColdFuseon Lost in Space

• Contributor
    Wow man, you've got pretty good results with these random planets.
  7. Danarkivus-2

Danarkivus-2 Back Into Space

cool
    Benjamin likes this.
  8. NeonSturm

NeonSturm Back Into Space

I agree.

There is a part which is difficult to get right:
    A: You can make awesome asymmetric and natural looking terrain and get players jealous at others or sad that they only get s**t places out of the ran-doom function.
    OR
    B: You can essentially -more or less- "copy+paste" parts to give each player a similar beautiful environment.​

What defines the value of "space"?
    Neighbouring features (in reach)
    Composition (favourite features close, good looking) → also fits strategic thinking rather than tactical.

Perhaps http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Least_squares gives a hint.
    You basically try to make each place as interesting as possible.

The rarer a feature or an eye-sight it is, the higher it's value.
    We humans appreciate variety, (as long as it doesn't hurt us by breaking immersion).​
    NeonSturm, May 22, 2015
    Last edited by NeonSturm; at May 22, 2015