1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ben - May 23 2015

Discussion in 'Developer Progress Reports' started by Benjamin, May 24, 2015.

1. Benjamin

Benjamin Lead Developer

• Dev Leader
    Didn't get much done today due to the whole livestream and all, you probably got to see me floundering through code and failing at multitasking :p.

* Game *

Today I started by adding the ability to specify planet rings! I also did a fake shadow calculation by doing a ray/sphere intersection with the parent body. I think it looks pretty sweet...

[​IMG]

That image is 1440p. Be sure to follow the link to see it in full glory.

In this image you can also see the new procedural star glow that I enhanced today. That is done completely using math, no textures required! Meaning there is no resolution scaling issue!

Near the end of the stream I started working on an overlay that would provide information about the planets you are selecting, but will have to finish that tomorrow.

Tomorrow I will fix a couple of bugs for the stream, get audio settings working, and make sure that the game options save correctly. 0.2.0 demo comes out tomorrow night!

Commits:
    Vorb Engine: 2
    Game Data: 2
    Game Code: 6
    Total: 10

Fooood.....
  2. Thomas988

Thomas988 Back Into Space

Hyperion is rocking the rings! From the bit I saw on today's stream (sadly had to leave after an hour, :( ), the demo was looking fantastic and I am so excited to see the solar system for myself tomorrow. :D
    Benjamin and ColdFuseon like this.
  3. ColdFuseon

ColdFuseon Lost in Space

• Contributor
    That looks neat, will we be able to mine asteroids there ? I think someone made models of asteroids on the forums, not sure.
    Benjamin likes this.
  4. Benjamin

Benjamin Lead Developer

• Dev Leader
    We are definitely planning on allowing asteroid mining yes!
    ColdFuseon likes this.
  5. Crazy Lamb

Crazy Lamb Crash Landed

I can't wait until the demo is released as well! :D And just a little fun fact: the Solar system is the name for the Star system with Sol (the sun) at its center (so the Solar System=our system). The system in this game would be something like The Trinity System. :)
    Thomas988 and ColdFuseon like this.
  6. ColdFuseon

ColdFuseon Lost in Space

• Contributor
    Are they only going to be made of small voxels or are there going to be full blocks made versions ? (Just asking because it would be awesome one day to be abble to settle there :D)
  7. Benjamin

Benjamin Lead Developer

• Dev Leader
    Probably full blocks!
    ColdFuseon likes this.
  8. ColdFuseon

ColdFuseon Lost in Space

• Contributor
    Alright, awesome, thanks for your answers !
  9. ColdFuseon

ColdFuseon Lost in Space

• Contributor
    [​IMG]
  10. PsychoticLeprechaun

PsychoticLeprechaun Designer & Web Developer

• Dev Member
    Yup! The more general name is a star system, which is a system of interacting stars that have an orbit around one another, each star in such a star system having its own planetary system (though ofc, planetary bodies can have more complex, shared orbits). That said, the same as the Moon was intended to be the name for our natural satellite, it is more convenient to call things of a similar nature a moon, I guess the same holds true for star systems and people find it more convenient to use the same name as is used for our own - at least colloquially, we should always use star system formally for any system not our own.
    ColdFuseon likes this.
  11. Thomas988

Thomas988 Back Into Space

Yeah, I know. I didn't mean the solar system, like ours. ;) It just sounds redundant to me saying "Trinity" over and over again.
    ColdFuseon likes this.
  12. Crazy Lamb

Crazy Lamb Crash Landed

I
    What's wrong with saying Trinity? I don't think Trinity Star System is a redundant name for the Trinary Star System involving three stars called Trinity A, Trinity B, and Trinity C. Trinity Trinity Trinity Trinity Trinity Trinity.

Edit:
    In other news:
    10 people died in the Bronx last night due to a fire that killed 10 people in the Bronx last night during a fire

:)
    Crazy Lamb, May 24, 2015
    Last edited by Crazy Lamb; at May 24, 2015
    ColdFuseon, Benjamin and Thomas988 like this.