1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ben - May 26 2015

Discussion in 'Developer Progress Reports' started by Benjamin, May 27, 2015.

1. Benjamin

Benjamin Lead Developer

• Dev Leader
    Today was a slow day, as most bugfix days are. I got hung up on a few bugs along the way but managed to fix most of the things I wanted to. Tomorrow I should be able to fix the rest of the glaring issues and then release another version!

* Changed sound file location
    * Fixed flickering star depth issue
    - This one was pretty tough. Because of the huge distances in game, there was a bug with the Z buffer for star glow rendering when you zoom in to a planet. The solution was to do part of the computation on the CPU with 64 bit floats instead! This also fixed a "phantom star" bug.
    * Applied rotation to clouds
    * Much slower water
    * Fixed rotation for tidal locking, now planets that are tidally locked (like aldrin) behave correctly.

Towards the end of the day I started working on the bug where small planets have incorrect lighting. This is due to a problem with how I am doing normal mapping for planets. I made progress towards solving it, but didn't quite get it figured out completely. I should be able to finish it tomorrow.

For your picture, here is an image I made while debugging, when I disabled skybox rendering. The color buffer doesn't get cleared for efficiency, which is why this happens!

[​IMG]

Commits:
    Game Code: 8
    Game Data: 1
    Total: 9
  2. Thomas988

Thomas988 Back Into Space

2001: A Space Odyssey would be proud. ;)
  3. Gingy

Gingy Back Into Space

That picture is the very definition of trippy.
  4. NeonSturm

NeonSturm Back Into Space

Somewhere I saw a webgl_camera_logarithmicdepthbuffer . from 1 pico-meter to the size of 10 galaxies with 100'000 light-years.
    Maybe it helps, maybe you already know...
    Benjamin likes this.
  5. Benjamin

Benjamin Lead Developer

• Dev Leader
    I've heard about this before but I forgot about it! It might be work experimenting with!