1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Benjamin Arnold - Team Lead / Programmer

Discussion in 'Meet the Devs' started by Benjamin, Feb 17, 2014.

1. misterTubbs

misterTubbs Crash Landed

I really wish I knew more C++ so I could impress you with my skills and land a position on your team... *SIGHS*. I knew I should've learned C++ instead of Java first!

Good luck on your ventures into the indie world, I have been watching your progress since the first video! :D
    adtdeveloping and Benjamin like this.
  2. adtdeveloping

adtdeveloping Reinvented The Wheel

MisterTubbs, I've followed the progress since 0.1.4, The first time I saw a video of Ben. I literally started watching all of them.
    Ben has inspired me to work on my own voxel engine. I am still learning, and I really enjoy working on voxel engines. (Not just voxel engines. But they are my main priority)
    I have saw many many many voxel engines grew. But none are as strong and powerfull as SoA.

I hope to see the game rise even further and become bigger, better and more popular.
    I am already looking forward into playing on Multiplayer servers in the future.

Thanks you Ben for making this game, I hope you will keep improving this and remain to work on the engine as excited as now!
  3. Arctic

Arctic Giant Robot Advocate

• Tester
    Just noticed the new profile image. Scary as shit man why you do dis
  4. tetryds

tetryds cus tet, that's it

I love it and think that every dev should have one.
  5. Arctic

Arctic Giant Robot Advocate

• Tester
    I think Matt already has.
    Who makes these, anyway? I want one. Tet, you should get one.
  6. tetryds

You should not get one, I should get one.
    Will get one.
    I don't know who did it but I think I know who cold have done and I sure know who knows.
  7. PsychoticLeprechaun

PsychoticLeprechaun Designer & Web Developer

• Dev Member
    Haha, we must thank Andreas for our profile pictures, and yeah, all the devs will have one in time!
  8. tetryds

Matt you don't get it, I want one.
    Andreas uh, thanks for the info.
    tetryds, Oct 30, 2014
    Last edited by tetryds; at Oct 30, 2014
  9. Benjamin

Benjamin Lead Developer

• Dev Leader
    Means a lot to hear you say that adt! I am really glad that I could be a positive influence to you :)
  10. Benjamin

Benjamin Lead Developer

• Dev Leader
    Woahh your's glows! I'm jelly.
  11. PsychoticLeprechaun

PsychoticLeprechaun Designer & Web Developer

• Dev Member
    I may have cheated for that! I didn't like the harsh transition from face to forum profile image background. :p
    Benjamin likes this.
  12. adtdeveloping

adtdeveloping Reinvented The Wheel

Thanks to you I started making games, and I really enjoy it nowadays.
    I've became better at it too.

Before I met you and SoA I was just making minecraft mods, I was doing some gaming already. But I had no idea what to do.
    SoA has inspired me to make games, I am glad I found it :)
    joppiesaus and Benjamin like this.
  13. tetryds

God's don't glow, peasantry aura does.
  14. Benjamin

Benjamin Lead Developer

• Dev Leader
    That is what I like to hear! We need more programmers in this world :)
  15. joppiesaus

joppiesaus Infamous Space-Octopus

I'm curious about the history of the origins of SoA.
    So in super short with lacking and guessing how I understand it right now: You thought "hey, I want to make games", and you learned C++ using a voxel game, that took two years, and then you put that on youtube and the reactions were great. People wanted to join you? and it became a team. You realized if you wanted to make a game it needed to be rewritten, because it's old bad learning code, so you put in work. You went to an university to learn computer science? You put in a lot of work in both your study and game, it turned out like this and soon there'll be a kickstarter and the game will be awesome.

Is that correct?
  16. Benjamin

Benjamin Lead Developer

• Dev Leader
    That's surprisingly accurate actually. Some really talented people wanted to join me in making the game, and I figured that it would be good for the game so I accepted them. Soon after that I started learning more and more about game development and programming, and I started to realize just how awful my code was. It has taken nearly a year now to rewrite it, but I know that it is well worth it. I actually started making the game at the end of my freshman year of computer science, but I didn't have any clue what it was going to grow in to. I was just trying to express my creativity. I just finished the last week of classes, so I should have a lot more time over the next several months to put into SoA dev and tutorials, and hopefully we will be ready for a kickstarter near the end of the year! Though even if the kickstarter fails, I'll keep making the game. I will just have to get another job as well so I don't starve.
    joppiesaus likes this.
  17. 10d22

10d22 Designer

• Dev Member

LIES! we all know that god cant starve, what he really needs is to pay the internet bills ;)
  18. ColdFuseon

ColdFuseon Lost in Space

• Contributor
    I'm pretty sure it will not fail. Peoples will see what you've done, and they'll be amazed.
    We've got an awesome sandbox game with really huge planets made of voxels, all of this with space travel, gorgeous stars, gas giants, people will understand that it's really a rare occasion.
    ColdFuseon, Apr 27, 2015
    Last edited by ColdFuseon; at Apr 27, 2015
    Benjamin likes this.
  19. Con No 1

Con No 1 Tester

• Tester
    Does this mean that you will have time for livestreams?
    Benjamin likes this.
  20. Benjamin

Benjamin Lead Developer

• Dev Leader
    Yep! But I think I want to wait until closer to 0.2.0 to do livestreams, there's still some refactoring and such that I am doing that wouldn't make for a good livestream.
    Danarkivus-2 and Con No 1 like this.