1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Block Height?

Discussion in 'Feature Suggestions' started by ThatOneGuy, Jun 8, 2014.

1. ThatOneGuy

ThatOneGuy Reinvented The Wheel

Quick post here,

I believe the current height of a cube in SOA is a third of a meter, but I know personally when I'm building I always make things too short, as I'm used to the one meter blocks of minecraft. If we look at the blocks from an imperial standpoint, each block would be about a foot. I just feel like with the measurements being all metric, maybe that the height of the blocks should be something a bit more divisible and even, like 2 or 4. Might be just me though.

To someone more knowledgeable than me: Is there a specific reason that they're a third of a meter, or is it just a number you picked?
  2. SevenQuanta

SevenQuanta Crash Landed

Actually the blocks are half-meter in height.
    The shortest gap the player can pass through (without crouching) is four blocks tall. The player is about two meters tall, I guess, since that's closest to an actual person's height. So 2/4 = half a meter block.
    It always amazes me to think that each SOA block is one eighth (1/2^3) the volume of a Minecraft block. So building something in this game theoretically takes EIGHT times longer than building an equivalent something in Minecraft.
  3. ThatOneGuy

ThatOneGuy Reinvented The Wheel

Oh, I guess I'm mistaken. I guess it's going to take quite a bit of adjusting to be able to build things to the right scale, I keep on making 1*2 doors :p
  4. Arctic

Arctic Giant Robot Advocate

• Tester
    There will be a form of click-and-drag (Currently accessible by holding B when building) involving NPC builders and construction drones. So it won't be as soul-crushing.
  5. zeroinnocent

zeroinnocent Tester

• Tester
    to make a simple door opning you will have to have a 2*4 opening since you cant go trhu a 1*4 gap. but if you crotch you can get thru a 3*2 gap.
  6. tetryds

tetryds cus tet, that's it

the best way i found to make doors are 3x5 holes.
    You will have to redefine all you think about building with blocks when comming from minecraft to SOA, soon you will figure out its much better.
    Also, click and hold B, then move mouse and release click, you are able to place several blocks in a row.
  7. Arctic

• Tester
    Well, if the player is smaller, then the render distance can become much "Further". Rather than rendering up to 200 metres, it renders up to 400 metres. There's a trade off between size and detail, but I think SoA's smaller blocks offer more choice and are better than Minecraft's blocks.
  8. tetryds

tetryds cus tet, that's it

Not only that, but having blocks relativelly bigger makes planets smaller, increasing distortion.
    So the final trade is Performance + detail x distortion + range.
    But atm the game is capable of rendering 520 blocks 60/60 on my laptop and only crashes because of RAM, when x64 is implemented people will be able to render some insane distances.
  9. Arctic

• Tester
    Sounds good. At least the far LOD lets you "see" further. WAY further.