1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bloomin' Bloom

Discussion in 'News and Development' started by PsychoticLeprechaun, Jul 12, 2015.

1. PsychoticLeprechaun

PsychoticLeprechaun Designer & Web Developer

• Dev Member
    @dutra has been hard at work on integrating bloom into SoA. He wrote a blog just for you guys on how it works, it has LOTS of shiny screenshots! ;)

Let us know what you think!
  2. Thomas988

Thomas988 Back Into Space

My favorite visual effect is in SoA?! I love you guys soooo much! :D
  3. ColdFuseon

ColdFuseon Lost in Space

• Contributor
    :eek: Nice !
    Thomas988 likes this.
  4. Arctic

Arctic Giant Robot Advocate

• Tester
    Try not to go crazy with it.
  5. Sevio

Sevio Back Into Space

When used properly it definitely adds to the look and feel of the game. :) I imagine it goes well with that effect that simulates the eye adapting to different light levels between bright and dark scenes, can't remember the name right now.
    Thomas988 likes this.
  6. Danarkivus-2

Danarkivus-2 Back Into Space

7. Arctic

• Tester
    HDR.
  8. dutra

dutra Programmer

• Dev Member
    I'm glad you enjoyed it! What's your next favorite visual effect?
    Thomas988 and ColdFuseon like this.
  9. Thomas988

Thomas988 Back Into Space

I love good atmospheres. For example, I really don't like KSP's; no atmospheric scattering, no clouds, just a gradient. Luckily I think SoA has done a fantastic job with its atmosphere, and even without clouds I think it looks very pretty! :)
  10. dutra

dutra Programmer

• Dev Member
    I am on the same boat then. I think that SoA's atmosphere implementation is good enough for now and there is a long list of things that need to be implemented.
    However, at some point I really would like to improve SoA's atmosphere and make it as nice as it can be. In the past, I tried implementing for SoA one of the most realistic atmosphere scattering algorithms out there, the Bruneton's Atmosphere Scattering, but it was taking way too long and we decided it was better to get other things done first. But we are certainly giving it another try in the future.
    Thomas988 likes this.
  11. Arctic

• Tester
    In my opinion, good atmosphere scattering is extremely important to a good graphical effect overall. However, if it means a detriment to performance, then I suppose a merely acceptable solution could be used.
    ColdFuseon likes this.
  12. Sevio

Sevio Back Into Space

Isn't atmospheric scattering something that could be left to the GPU? Could have a setting for those that have powerful enough GPUs to handle it. With far terrain generation back on the CPU, that should free the GPU up a bit more for stuff like this. :) Agree that there is lots of stuff to be done before another attempt at scattering though.
    ColdFuseon likes this.
  13. Benjamin

Benjamin Lead Developer

• Dev Leader
    Yup and our scattering is done on the GPU. Doing it on the CPU would be quite wasteful!
    Thomas988 and ColdFuseon like this.