1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chatting

Discussion in 'Feature Suggestions' started by SpaceHippie, Aug 15, 2014.

1. SpaceHippie

SpaceHippie Reinvented The Wheel

I don't think I have seen a thread about players chatting with one another.

How should communication be handled? Should we just have friends lists that can communicate no matter what? I mean do we want players to be able to talk with one another on opposite sides of the planet? Or should communication be limited to line of sight? Late game radios and in-game internet would make planet wide communication possible later. So should it wait till then or just have game like chatting right from the get go?

I know that if communication is limited then some people will just use an outside game method. Skype or whatever. But is that the 'flavor' the game should have. Or do you even care?
  2. ThatOneGuy

ThatOneGuy Reinvented The Wheel

I agree with you, I think player communications should be somewhat limited. Maybe have an option where you can enable server-wide chatting or local chatting. But there's no way to limit Skype and whatnot, so yeah.
  3. SpaceHippie

SpaceHippie Reinvented The Wheel

So maybe a setting that can be enable per server. Then admins can just decide what they and their players like.

I'd prefer limited communications. But that's me. It's just another way tech progression can feel satisfying.
  4. Danarkivus-2

Danarkivus-2 Back Into Space

yea I think chat should be limit like every once eles said but should be voice chat or text or both.
  5. Tery215

Tery215 Crash Landed

There should be a distance limit for simple chatting and other ways to communicate, such as by paper or telegraph.
  6. Eviscerator

Eviscerator Industrial Re-revolutionist

Limited area of chat, boosted by being in a communications network?

The same thing really came up in the radio and communications net thread, and..well..

I think it should be server configurable, at least with the option of being able to reach the server admin or mods wherever you are. It'd help in case someone glitches and gets stuck or runs into a griefer.
  7. Whoisthatkidd

Whoisthatkidd Balanced Balancer

One thing to remember is that players can always use an external communication program (such as Teamspeak) if they find in-game chat dis-satisfactory so my idea was a local chat (range can be adjusted to any player's personal preference) group chat (only other players that have banded together into a group, group leader can moderate.) Global chat (self-explanatory) Universal chat (everyone on the server can see it, good for metagaming.)

Also allow server operators/server administrators to modify what types of chat is allowed and the maximum range for local chat.

Oh and this! Much this!
    Whoisthatkidd, Aug 15, 2014
    Last edited by Whoisthatkidd; at Aug 15, 2014
  8. Arctic

Arctic Giant Robot Advocate

• Tester
    I think I did a post about radios at one point, or even a REALLY old reddit post about that stuff.
  9. Danarkivus-2

Danarkivus-2 Back Into Space

you should be able to licence in on conversion by use some device to intercept the transmission so you may have to code it so no one other than the you and other person can understand. or that's when a code breaker comes in.
  10. ThatOneGuy

ThatOneGuy Reinvented The Wheel

Yeah as WhoIsThatKidd mentioned there's no way of stopping anyone from using other programs such as Skype to talk to anyone, but I still think you should be able to whisper in game to other players and broadcast you going out to space both without the use of other outside programs.