1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Compatable Graphics Cards

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic' started by ShadowRunner027, Nov 27, 2014.

1. ShadowRunner027

ShadowRunner027 Crash Landed

2. joppiesaus

joppiesaus Infamous Space-Octopus

Hmm...
    That's a tough one
    In principal there are many cards availiable, but it's a retail computer(which is often not build for upgrading) and I don't really know the "small" things that prohibit from upgrading, like: wattage, power cord for the GPU(if needed), case size...
    However, it has a PCIe x16 slot(unknown generation, my guess is gen2), so I think it could. I suggest if you want to do upgrades with future computers, you should build one your own, because you have a way better "bang for your buck" and it has much more quality added.

What price range are you looking for? Then I can give you better advice!

You could get a 750 Ti for ~100$(man those things seem to be cheap in the US): http://pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-video-card-02gp43757kr
    You need at least one 6-pin GPU power cord thought. If you don't have it(I doubt it, you have a retail 300 watt one), you need to get a new one here: http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/power-supply/ (get at least 500 watt, so you can take it to another PC in the future!)
  3. ShadowRunner027

I'll probably just build a new one if I'm going to go through too much trouble, I'll have to get my financial office to OK it tho. Let me go count my cash and I'll tell you my budget.

EDIT: OK, budget is about $300 in total. Christmas is right around the corner so I'll be getting more. know of any good starter builds? or where I can get any more advanced info (more advanced than 'if AMD, find one with slot x. if intel, slot y' ?)
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2014
    ShadowRunner027, Nov 27, 2014
    Last edited by ShadowRunner027; at Nov 27, 2014
  4. joppiesaus

Excellent idea. I'll see if I can get a list for you, just a minute.

EDIT: Okay, I have something for you! Sorry for the long waiting period.
    My plan is to rob your stuff from your old computer to your new one(all your perihpials, your HDD, your optical drive(if possible), and Windows 7(just the keycode, there should be a sticker with a code somewhere, find the ISO number, look it up on google, download the iso, burn it to a CD/DVD/USB, install it, and you're good to go!))

Ok this is the build I came up with: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Dq4nwP

This is the best "Bang for your buck" build I've ever come up with. The video card doesn't look too powerfull if you look at it's prize... But it's still very good! It's as good as a 750 Ti.

I really focussed on price/performance on this one. It should be reliable too, of course, but for example: I didn't think of spending 35$ more for 4 RAM slots because you are not going to use 16 GB anyway.

Mobo: A pretty decent one! It has USB 3, 1 PCIe 2.0 slot(for your gpu), 2 RAM slots, and some neat extra's.
    RAM: G.Skill 2x4 GB 1866 MHz A REAL champ for it's price! I didn't go cheap with this, because this is something you don't want to upgrade in this configuration. One comment: If you want to have 1866 MHz instead of 1333, you need to set it in your BIOS. It'll work if you don't, but then it's a little slower. Google is your friend.
    CPU: Intel Pentium G3258 is a real king under the low-budget CPU's. It's not only cheap, it's actually awesome!
    GPU: Asus R7 260x, pretty powerfull!
    Case: A pretty and cheap case, it comes with one fan and USB 3.0 headers. It's nice.
    PSU: Corsair CSM 450W 80+ Gold, is a very efficent PSU that comes with a great discount, because it's so effecient it cost you less power, so that means lower power bill.

You can always add another HDD(1 TB is 45$ nowadays, I recommend it as an upgrade in the future), and if you have suddendly more money, get a R9 270x. If your optical drive isn't stealable, and you want one, this is a good and cheap one.

Here's a basic build guide, yours is a little different, but for the idea.
    Here's someone building a computer with the CPU you have(you can use it as a reference).

Some tips:
    • Google stuff that you don't know!
    • Keep in mind that you should build your computer on a solid surface, not on something static, and keep yourself "unloaded" by touching a radiator or something.
    • Read the manual! It's really usefull! In fact, you'll need it! Building computers is the only time when I read manuals.
    Happy thanksgiving and good luck with building!
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2014
    joppiesaus, Nov 27, 2014
    Last edited by joppiesaus; at Nov 27, 2014
  5. ShadowRunner027

Thanks man. I'll be here.
  6. ShadowRunner027

Wow... Thanks man, you really put a lot effort into this. Truly, thank you!
  7. joppiesaus

No problem! This is what I like to do when I am bored :)
    But there's one problem thought: Yesterday the price was 298$, now it is 376$!
    I didn't know prices could grow so big in one day(also not the drops), that's in the Netherlands a whole different story!
    Even the case doesn't get sold anymore! Combo's gone, discounts gone, prices risen... Wow. :'(

Instead I've come up with this: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/vbNPYJ

It's still 350$, but it has a better GPU :D(the best price/performance right now, it's way better than the old one, it's really cheap at the moment), and some minor part changes.
    If you bought your computer yesterday, no problem!
    If you're planning to buy your parts arround christmas(or something, just not right now), I think you should just bump this topic and I'll make something that's best for that day, so you can get the best out of your money, because I think prices can really vary sometimes. :thumbup:
  8. tetryds

tetryds cus tet, that's it

By the way, joppie, I don't think he needs anything near 500W there, 400W would do just fine on that build.
    Also save a bit more on the motherboard.
    That if he does not want much room for upgrades.
  9. joppiesaus

I agree on that too:
    But >25$ there aren't really any cheaper & better PSU's, this is a 80+ Bronze efficiency PSU, and since it's the component that really makes or breaks the system, I thought this was the best option for the money.
    I forgot to update the motherboard! Thanks for the info, here's the updated build(333$): http://pcpartpicker.com/p/RdqmWZ
  10. tetryds

tetryds cus tet, that's it

If every cent counts, I guess you can pick a 20$ case that will work just fine.
    In the end the case doesn't really matter that much, for a build like this it doesn't even need an optimal airflow.
    Also, isn't there something missing, like a mass storage device?
    A 500GB HDD would work just fine.

Edit: and you are right about the PSU, I did not see it's 15$ off.
    tetryds, Nov 28, 2014
    Last edited by tetryds; at Nov 28, 2014
  11. ShadowRunner027

While thank you joppiesaus, for going through this much effort helping me. I probably wont be buying the parts until after Christmas, just to let things settle down. But thank you, hopefully that build stays available for a while.

Edit: Either of you guys able to explain a mail in rebate to a newbie?
    ShadowRunner027, Nov 28, 2014
    Last edited by ShadowRunner027; at Nov 28, 2014
  12. joppiesaus

Case? Probably: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/rosewill-case-redbone
    He "robs" his HDD from his old computer to the new one, that said, he could still buy a new one.

Good question, I didn't know it either.
    A mail-in rebate is "get a part of your money back after you purchased the product": http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-1646796/newegg-mail-rebate-question.html