1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU survey!

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Gram, Sep 12, 2015.

?

How many cores do you have (Including hyper-threading cores!)

1. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 2

15.4%
  3. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 4

30.8%
  5. 6

7.7%
  6. 8

30.8%
  7. 12

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 16

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. over 9000!

7.7%
  10. I don't know what hyper-threading is or how to check so I can not answer.

7.7%
  1. Gram

Gram Crash Landed

After hearing a lot about hardware optimization, I wonder what the majority of fans are using as the gaming computer. I hope that I have posted this in the right location.

How to check:
    • On Windows you can go to your task manager (Alt+Ctrl+Del) and check under the performance tab. If your graphs have combined it may be listed under "Logical Cores".
  2. Gingy

Gingy Back Into Space

It seems like a significant amount of people here game on computers with specs that are more than enough to run modern games at decent framerates and resolutions (i.e. 1080p 60fps).
    Snipecoolbunny likes this.
  3. Dysche

Dysche Intern Programmer

• Dev Member
    I clearly have over 9000, but that is because I stole IBM's super computer last night.
    Dysche, Sep 13, 2015
    Last edited by Dysche; at Sep 13, 2015
  4. Gram

Gram Crash Landed

It would be nice if Intel/AMD could start adding cores again at a decent price, I have lots of potential uses for them. :)
  5. Shashwah

Shashwah Tester

• Tester
    To be fair, AMD has a decent Core-Price ratio
  6. PsychoticLeprechaun

PsychoticLeprechaun Designer & Web Developer

• Dev Member
    Just gonna point out that number of cores isn't everything. AMD's 8 core processors quite often find themselves competing with Intel's i5 (4 core, 4 thread) and losing out. The AMD processors are budget CPU's imo, and so far have not managed to get nearly the same single-core performance Intel offers. Intel is architecture king, with highest single-core performance and lowest power draws since at least the Sandybridge era.

I run an i7 on my laptop because it is my work device and can say that it is a beauty, but i5's are the best for gaming performance/cost by a country mile on the Intel side (an extra 4 logical cores really doesn't show much (or any) FPS increase) but AMD still offer a great budget option in the FX 8320/8350.

The price increase for 16 core AMD and 8 core/16 thread Intel CPUs really wouldn't be worth it at this time for the almost unnoticeable performance increases you would see in most applications of the CPU. Most things that would benefit from seem to me like tasks that would be done mostly by people who own or have access to servers (which can have upwards of 48 logical cores).
    joppiesaus likes this.
  7. Gram

Gram Crash Landed

I would like to test Intel's 16 logical cores with SoA maxed, but it's too expensive.
  8. Gingy

Gingy Back Into Space

What I saw places AMD damn close in comparison to their Intel counterpart, but I tend to be hesitant about AMD because the TDP is always signficantly higher on their CPUs (even higher difference on their GPUs in comparision to their competitor). I hear they also run quite a bit hotter than Intel CPUs, so some of that money you're saving will probably go into an aftermarket fan.

I do wish AMD would step up their game, because Intel having no real competition is bad for the industry.
    Gram likes this.
  9. Gram

Gram Crash Landed

You said it, at this rate ARM chips will be competition in a few years.... well maybe not. Though https://www.parallella.org/ looked promising when they designed their 64+2 core chip, too bad there kickstarted didn't get past the 16+2 version. :\
  10. Snipecoolbunny

Snipecoolbunny Back Into Space

i have an 8-core AMD and it works with war thunder on max graphics at a solid 70fps. and its an NVIDIA game. so im not even crossfired.
  11. PsychoticLeprechaun

• Dev Member
    Parallela did look interesting, they seem to have stagnated since the Kickstarter though.

I would say that Intel is getting better at being ARM a bit quicker than ARM is getting better at being Intel. Though ARM definitely offers a fantastic option for low energy draw pieces vs Intel.

Also, 8 core AMD is absolutely fine for gaming. In fact, if you aren't insane, or aren't doing a lot of development/CPU-intensive work then AMD's FX-8320 is actually my recommendation - you can get a decent cooler and turn it into the highest clock CPUs offered by AMD. That said, if you are going for a combination of gaming and general mutlitasking, I would definitely recommend the Intel i7 as an alternative, or if you are going for high-average gaming then I would recommend Intel's i5.
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2015
    PsychoticLeprechaun, Sep 15, 2015
    Last edited by PsychoticLeprechaun; at Sep 17, 2015
  12. Thomas988

Thomas988 Back Into Space

Task Manager is telling me that I have have 4 logical processors, and I believe they're AMD.

I'm not a hardware guy. XD
  13. Arpak

Arpak Moderator - Former CM

So either an Athlon X4, an FX-4300, or an A8-xxxx?
  14. Gingy

Gingy Back Into Space

Aren't the A10s quad-core too?
  15. Thomas988

Thomas988 Back Into Space

I don't know for sure. In the top-right corner it says "AMD A8-5500 APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics."
  16. Lionitow

Lionitow Reinvented The Wheel

Intel core i5 2.5GHz, tough I don't really know what it means... by the way on Wikipedia it says quad core so...
  17. Snipecoolbunny

Snipecoolbunny Back Into Space

being the computer geek i am, i looked up what my processor is that i used to build my gaming pc. its an AMD FX-9590 vishera 4.7GHz.

heres the link.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&IsNodeId=1&N=100007671 50001028 600213780&cm_sp=Cat_CPU-Processors_2-_-Visnav-_-AMD-FX_2

8-core btw
    Snipecoolbunny, Sep 16, 2015
    Last edited by Snipecoolbunny; at Sep 16, 2015
  18. PsychoticLeprechaun

• Dev Member
  19. Arpak

Yup, its the AMD A8-5500 APU, which is essentially a 4 core cpu with a Radeon HD 7560D strapped to it, not a bad CPU at all, but it may catch itself on higher taxing games.
    Thomas988 likes this.
  20. Arpak

Thats what irritates me about AMD's gaming CPU line-up, everything above an 8320 is just an overclocked/binned 8320 for a lot more, but atleast they get an AMD watercooler :D