1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CTF Planetary - A Way To Showcase SoA On Launch (REVISED!)

Discussion in 'Feature Suggestions' started by Arctic, Sep 17, 2014.

1. Arctic

Arctic Giant Robot Advocate

• Tester
    Those of you who remember the Subreddit may remember when I posted a suggestion about "CTF Planetary". This is an optional gamemode where two teams of around about 100 players are spawned hundreds of miles apart and have to research and build and manage their own societies in order to capture the enemy's flag (Or Intel, or Artifact, or really whatever macguffin we can come up with) and win the game. There ought to be a special permanent reward, as this gamemode will take time and a lot of effort. Things like a unique dash bobblehead or a miniature macguffin to go on your wall would go down well. (Needless to say, nothing that gives you power. Duh.)

The two teams start on different islands on a randomly generated world. A small amount of research has already been filled. This helps to speed along progress. Each player is given their basic equipment:

• A set of basic tools
    • A basic rifle
    • A small quantity of ammunition
    • A two-way radio
    • Three days MREs
    • Some random parts and pieces.
    These items would help the players with getting their shizzle wizzle together. They would have to research vehicles, go scouting, fend off against hostile aliens, fight huge and epic battles, and build towns and cities that would be ravaged by war. The end goal: To capture the enemy's macguffin.

Now, needless to say, there would be issues. For example, players may log in with the intention of griefing, or in any case being detrimental to the war effort. While this is regrettable, there seems to be no way to stop it from happening. Maybe we could give powers to admins in the vanilla gamemode. Other issues include the inevitable chaos that would arise in the beginning as players panicked, either not knowing what to do or randomly attacking everyone. We could maybe solve this issue with telling players the rules, or something of the sort, beforehand. Additionally, it would be a technical nightmare to get this many players on a server at once.

BUT, and this is a pretty big but (Feel free to snerk at this), if we can get this to work, it would make a pretty nice way to demonstrate what SoA is capable of (Huge, epic battles, advanced NPCs to ally or conquer, deep but intuitive gameplay) and if when SoA is released proper with gameplay and a monetary cost, it would make one hell of an entrance, stunning players with unbelievable features nobody ever anticipated were possible in a voxel game.

We could organize a match of CTF Planetary. We would invite a slew of YouTubers, community members, and get their friends to join in too. Give them 60% off coupons or something.
    Maybe not even when the game gets released. Maybe when it gets on Steam. Something like that.
    And I'm not for a moment saying I think this is possible. But if it is... That would be frickin awesome.
    Jpr likes this.
  2. Jpr

Jpr Industrial Re-revolutionist

Have not even read whole post, and WANT. WANT NOW.
    (Relating to steam, do one of those "free" weekends to boost the numbers, like a demo?)

EDIT- Have read post, above still stands :)
    EDIT2- Actually, give the players a marker pointing to their flag and their opponents flag, or a manufacturable "flagfinder" to prevent hiding.
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2014
    Jpr, Sep 17, 2014
    Last edited by Jpr; at Sep 17, 2014
  3. Eviscerator

Eviscerator Industrial Re-revolutionist

100vs.100 sounds a bit much for an indie server to company, and pretty much out of the question for player-owned servers.

I like the idea, but starting with 16v16 and working your way up sounds more feasible. And more strategic, especially if part of the game mode's research allows for 'reinforcements' in the form of allowing a larger team if technically feasible on the hardware.
  4. Arctic

• Tester
    Appreciate it :)
    The first time I posted this literally nobody read it because nobody cares on Reddit and it was 9 months ago. I knew it was a good idea.
  5. Jpr

How ARE we going to get people interested in the game for the eventual kickstarter? There are like, 10 people consistently on here, and I've been looking at other kickstarters for similar games.
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fenrislairstudio/untold-universe
    (Not doing too well) Must resist urge to gloat at minecraft-clone :)
    But seriously, how?
    EDIT- Link only posted to show difficulty of gaining funding without general knowledge base.
    Jpr, Sep 17, 2014
  6. Eviscerator

As someone who actually tried to drum up support for the Xenogalaxies Kickstarter? Not easily.

It'll help if we can get a demo out, and there are clips on Youtube showing gameplay and demonstrating what sets SoA apart from other 'Minecraft in Space' games.

Our work is going to be doubly cut out for us after what happened with StarForge as well, gotta be able to demonstrate that the game's core concepts are already implemented, and just need to be fleshed out and refined.

Beyond that? There's not much we can do other than hope it goes viral or a popular Let's Play channel picks it up.
  7. Arctic

• Tester
    What if we invite big youtubers or even smaller but still popular youtubers who would be glad to get some kind of awesome excusive content to stream or make a short series of vids about? There are a good few youtubers who would love to get exclusive access or at least be the first to post about this stuff. And Chickenkeeper seems likely to do a video about a later version of SoA.
    Arctic, Sep 17, 2014
    Last edited by Arctic; at Sep 17, 2014
  8. Eviscerator

I wouldn't offer an exclusive, that'd be almost impossible to enforce unless the site stopped offering downloads of test builds. It would also look a little suspect, I think.

All you can really do is try to make sure the game stands out from all the other indie games that are being thrown at them. Honestly? I think the best route is a small kickstarter to get enough money so the game will get enough content to stand a chance on Steam Greenlight, and then try to go from there.

SoA, even in its current state, is head and shoulders above most Greenlight titles.
  9. Arctic

• Tester
    Oh no, I meant the CTF Planetary thing. Make it so that not just any old shmoe can join.
  10. Eviscerator

Assuming it makes it in, most Let's Play groups would have their own servers to install it on, so it's not really a selling point.
  11. Arctic

• Tester
    Well, I mean more like when the game's released, we invite them to a HUGE match with EVERYONE and SUCH THINGS and the GAME DEVS are PLAYING ALONGggggGGGGG

NUKES NUKES EVERYWHERE
  12. Eviscerator

That's great, but the game has to get funded in order to reach a full release first.
  13. Arctic

• Tester
    Sigh. If only. If only we could push a button and everyone knew about the game.
    Arctic, Sep 17, 2014
  14. Jpr

Holy god, there are a lot of posts here. MUST READ.
    EDIT- Personally, I'd get some gameplay in( At LEAST minecraft level, hopefully higher), then let the game websites (my favorite is RPS) know. If they do an online article, that would be good. I only found out about the game through sheer luck (Followed an inter-spider back to it's web :) ). The big deal, like... someone... said, is to get the game to stand out. Normally, I'd want the techs to come(be put ingame) sequentially, but a sparse higher-level tree (and vehicles) would do a lot to convince people. I'd want those in before the game tried for publicity.
    EDIT2- Eviscarator said it :)
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2014
    Jpr, Sep 17, 2014
  15. Arctic

• Tester
    We'll have to try and get it into a state that somewhat resembles the end-game (With a LOT of features missing, no story, some imbalance) we can start the kickstarter and hopefully YouTubers will LP it.
  16. Jpr

Yeah, but who would you tell to get the most views/ actually cover it? (Rhetorical question) (and kind of pointless) (sorry :( ) (SO MANY PARENTHESES, can't stop typing :) )
  17. Arctic

• Tester
    Chickenkeeper?
  18. Jpr

Unsure who (must... resist urge... GAH. Looking up channel... :) ), but different question. How many ACTIVE members use the forum, in your opinion?
  19. Arctic

• Tester
    Chickenkeeper was how I found out about SoA in the distant past of 2013. How many active members? Hmm...
    Me
    Jpr
    Tet
    Evi
    SpaceHippie
    Zero
    Whoisthatkidd
    Tikon
    Arpak
    PsyLep
    Agar
    Gingy
    Banjo
    Joppie
    Ben

Really, though, most of these people are either staff members (PsychoticLeprechaun being basically the only staff member apart from maybe Arpak that ever posts regularly on these forums) or US.
    The most active I would say are me, tet, you, and evi. So, by the very strictest definitions, four.
    We posts eeeevrydee
    Arctic, Sep 17, 2014
  20. Eviscerator

Yeah, Chickenkeeper was how I found out about SoA as well.