1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CTF Planetary - A Way To Showcase SoA On Launch (REVISED!)

Discussion in 'Feature Suggestions' started by Arctic, Sep 17, 2014.

1. Arctic

Arctic Giant Robot Advocate

• Tester
    Buddies! *High-Five*

But yeah. Basically just us four. And also occasionally other people. But only rarely.

And hey, how come you guys are never on the IRC?
    Arctic, Sep 17, 2014
    Last edited by Arctic; at Sep 17, 2014
  2. Jpr

Jpr Industrial Re-revolutionist

Ah. We need MOAR people, but do that later.
    I found a link here by luck on a disused website.
    EDIT- WAIT, irc? WHERE?
    Jpr, Sep 17, 2014
    Last edited by Jpr; at Sep 17, 2014
  3. Arctic

• Tester
    Network: Freenode. Channel: #seedofandromeda.
    Check /r/seedofandromeda. The soa website also has a link.
    Arctic, Sep 17, 2014
    Last edited by Arctic; at Sep 17, 2014
  4. Arpak

Arpak Moderator - Former CM

People need to get on the IRC more, Im just sitting here constantly :(
  5. Arctic

• Tester
    NEW! FUN! EXCITING! The all-new Sit 'n' Sad! Better than Slip 'n' Slide!*

*BETTER IS CALCULATED VIA PERCENT PURE CANADIAN BEEF
    Arpak likes this.
  6. yobob591

yobob591 Crash Landed

I'd say it would have to be past Minecraft level unless we want the internet to scream "OH EM GEE ITS A MINECRFT CLON!11!!1!ONE!"
  7. Arctic

• Tester
    Yeah, that's something of a given... True, true.
  8. Jpr

I mentioned that at minimum for a kickstarter demo, I would want a simplified version of vehicles and at least a sketchy, simplified higher tech tree. Sound better?
  9. Benjamin

Benjamin Lead Developer

• Dev Leader
    Weve still got a ways to go to the kickstarter, but I am doubtful that we could have a planetary CTF gamemode in place by then :( However, that is a gamemode that I DEFINITELY want to support. SoA is going to have lots of game modes, since we are going to be designing the combat to feel like a realistic fps. No sense NOT making competitive game-modes when the game has competitive combat.

What we still need before planetary CTF:

Multiplayer -LOTS OF WORK
    Scripting
    Procedural Animation
    Weapons/Armor and Combat
    Gamemodes
    Various other engine improvements

Notice that the items on this list are no simple task. If we were a studio with several programmers working full time, then we could probably do it. But right now we are still zero budget, and all of our programmers are in school :(

Bonus pic of a new feature: http://imgur.com/SkxroNR
  10. Jpr

Color-y :)
    Benjamin likes this.
  11. Arctic

• Tester
    Excellent to see that this will make it into the final game! I love the idea.
  12. Jpr

Yay multiplayer!
    Actually, if he's still on... How many people are you planning/hoping for on a server?
  13. Arctic

• Tester
    Please be 100+ please be 100+..
  14. Eviscerator

Eviscerator Industrial Re-revolutionist

Ooh, pretty. I do hope that SoA has giant geodes you can mine into...that'd be gorgeous.
  15. ThatOneGuy

ThatOneGuy Reinvented The Wheel

I think the whole big CTF game would be great to get SOA out to public, especially if we got some big name youtubers to join. Sadly, it might be a while until even multiplayer is implemented.

Besides that, I'd like to be more active on the forums than I am, but school's got me busy.
  16. Arctic

• Tester
    I just post at school.
  17. Benjamin

Benjamin Lead Developer

• Dev Leader
    We will be programming the servers to be as efficient as possible. They will be multi-threaded, but they will still need to do a lot of work. 100+ is a lot of people on which to do physics, collision, networking, chunk-loading, ect. It will depend a lot on the power of the server and the network speed of the server and clients, but we will do everything we can to make it able to handle as many players as possible! Including possibly experimenting with server clusters. With a cluster, a large map could be segmented into different parts that each run on a separate server. However if all the players are in one section of the map, then that server could get bogged down. I can't really give you estimates on this because we just have to implement it and see.

You and me both man...
  18. Jpr

Thanks.
  19. Eviscerator

Eviscerator Industrial Re-revolutionist

Hmn.. So, it's sort of frowned upon to use imgur directly for advertising, but... http://imgur.com/gallery/MuBAq When SoA releases an alpha build, we just need to take some neat screenshots, and maybe make a few .gifs of awesome stuff in game before anyone posts about it.
  20. yobob591

yobob591 Crash Landed

If this game is going in the direction I believe it is, there's no sense in making more than 100 if each player is going to have a sort of "faction" (populated by NPCs or players. Or both.) Now, if were going with the CTF gamemode having 100 v 100 no NPCs and only 2 factions (or maybe NPCs too) that sounds good.