1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Daily programming problems

Discussion in 'Nerd Out Zone' started by joppiesaus, Aug 8, 2014.

1. joppiesaus

joppiesaus Infamous Space-Octopus

So I am working on a game called BuildingTiles.
    It includes milions of bugs and it's not quite fun. but you can build a house. And you have a nice GUI.
    It's a 2D Tile building sandbox game. Made to learn and for the fun of making a game(even if it's crappy). Not finished.(Or how my friend calls it: Minecraft 2D)
    Yeah. I plan to add electricity and stuff too.

I spend hours of thinking of a problem without realizing it's better to write code to visualize the problem. Or call a rubber duck and explain it to him.

So I had a plan today to make overlay tiles. You have the main tiles the player collides with, and the overlay tiles, which the player doesn't collide with. Such as glass.
    I have a 2 dimensional array, with tiles. Then I started thinking: "Add overlay tiles in side the Tile class, or just start a new array?" I choosed the first option. "Oh no I need to add a boolean just to check if theré's a tile or a overlay tile".
    I did it anyways. Now I am finished and realize it's actually crap. I think I can start over again.
    Or not. Maybe it's not crap. If you have two arrays you constantly need to communicate with them to see if the block is powered or not.

Aaaand I have got no progress again.
    Which sometimes happens. Sometimes it's fun way, sometimes it isn't. It's like a journey .

It makes me wonder if I am a good programmer or not. Do other people have this kind of problems too? Or am I just being slow. Sometimes I code a hour and something completely new is created, or I start bikeshedding about this kind of stuff.
    Then you have a problem called "Motivation". Sometimes you don't have it so you can't code when you actually want it.
    Of course I can think "I am 15 and I do not have to be a perfect programmer every time because it's my hobby and not my job. And even the people on the jobs struggle sometimes".

buildingtilesyawnface.PNG
    (you can see I implemented the overlay tiles! :D They do not get saved yet thought.)
    joppiesaus, Aug 8, 2014
    Last edited by joppiesaus; at Aug 8, 2014
    Banskel likes this.
  2. adtdeveloping

adtdeveloping Reinvented The Wheel

I got some problems too with programming. Sometimes I can work in one way through and make what I need work.
    Sometimes I struggle for days or even weeks wit one problem.

I once had a problem. That took me over 2 months to fix. (Fixed it yesterday. XD)
    It was a really small problem but it changed the graphics dramatically.

I have a world out of 3d cube like SoA. I had a problem with indices (If you don't know. Indices allows the VBO to get rid of the duplicated vertexes and increase fps)
    I had a problem that when I tried to render with indices enabled. that the cube would look like it was gone through a blender (About a 1000 times) :laugh:
    But I solved it by adding a simple: sizeof(unsigned int) to the memory allocation.

'Aaaand I have got no progress again.
    Which sometimes happens. Sometimes it's fun way, sometimes it isn't. It's like a journey .'

I have that too, but what I do is starting to work on some other stuff. Like. When the indices were broken: I made raycasting, and UI system. Text rendering (A 50% working texture atlas manager)

So what I often do is step off the problem for a while, and focus on something that has to be done too,. Or just simply what you like.
    After a while you will find yourself in the bug again and maybe even fix it without even paying attention. (I fixed my problem because I was working on my texture system.)

Also. If you really can't find a solution. You can call me, the forums or other sites (There are lots of sites that can help.)

- http://stackoverflow.com/
    - http://gamedev.stackexchange.com/

PS: I am not the best C++ programmer here. But I got some java experience. I can tell you that you are not alone (I am working with c++ just for about a few months - a year)
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2014
    adtdeveloping, Aug 8, 2014
    Last edited by adtdeveloping; at Aug 9, 2014
    joppiesaus likes this.
  3. Banskel

Banskel Crash Landed

I have the exact same thing. Except I am a really slow learner so I have a hard time learning to program. All I made so far is a pick n' stick game. :(
    [​IMG]
    joppiesaus likes this.
  4. joppiesaus

joppiesaus Infamous Space-Octopus

Yeah I learned it slowly too.
    I like the pick 'n stick game thought! :p
    It'll get better and better over time. There was a point that suddendly I didn't need the help of anything else to make a program, and from that point, you can make stuff.

Motivation is the biggest problem. It makes you unable to finish your games, but it makes you able to create something really cool.
    Ideas. I just can't get to ideas that create motivation. I didn't really work on my game the past few weeks, because it's boring(because of the idea). And it will be for a while. I think you have to go just throught that, and see some results. That's hard thought.
  5. misterTubbs

misterTubbs Crash Landed

MOTIVATION! That's a huge thing.

I develop games in my free time for an indie(ish) company called JumpButton Studios and I am on the verge of completing a major project. But I can't push through and implement the last couple of features so that I can release it and stop worrying about it. Its driving me insane! Motivation is key, you can't be lazy when it comes to programming, especially when its just a hobby. Soon enough you will be like me, 100's of hours logged on CSGO per week instead of coding :(