1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Development/Mechanics Ideas Thread

Discussion in 'Nerd Out Zone' started by Gingy, Oct 20, 2015.

1. Gingy

Gingy Back Into Space

Game development is a nerdy thing, right? Or does that qualify as "geeky"? Either way, The idea of this thread is to post various ideas for games you either are, or would like to develop at some point. I'll start with a somewhat small idea I have for if I decide to make a console port of any games I end up eventually making.

Basically, the idea is an option that serves a dual purpose. The option will either play the game at 720p and may or may not turn down some graphical effects in order to run the game at a stable 60fps, or run the game at the console equivallent of maxed settings, but at 1080p with a 30fps framerate cap. I feel this will draw a bigger audience, as it contributes to putting the issue of console game being locked at 30 to bed. As much as some apparently disagree with me that framerate makes a difference above 30, there's a large number of people who agree with me that there are objective benefits to playing at higher framerates. Such being the case, doing so would probably bring in a larger player base. If any of you have feedback relating to the specific idea I mentioned, or have you own ideas you would like to share, please comment below with your ideas, and/or feedback. As long as criticism is constructive, I have no objections.
  2. Arctic

Arctic Giant Robot Advocate

• Tester
    Too many options, arm jammed in front radiator grille.
  3. Gingy

Gingy Back Into Space

Oh shit, I'm sorry. I forgot console gamers aren't mostly responsible adults who can make as simple a decision as turning one thing on or off. Maybe that's why QTEs are a thing. Must I constantly remind them what button to press at what point?
  4. Arctic

• Tester
    Pretty much.
    [PRESS ENTER TO SUBMIT]
  5. Snipecoolbunny

Snipecoolbunny Back Into Space

uh... i dont understand this thread. could you explain?
  6. joppiesaus

joppiesaus Infamous Space-Octopus

I like that idea.
    I am rocking at 144 FPS and I love it. Even for things that aren't games, like moving your mouse, and reading text while scrolling(Everything is soooo smooth).
    Go ahead and feel the difference. Pick your favorite game, go to your GPU monitor settings, and set FPS to 30. Play it for as long as you like, and then turn it back to the highest.
    It feels like a different world.
    I also don't care about ugly textures and ugly resolutions, but I care about the feeling of the textures with them. And the framerates improve that feeling for me.

Anyways, I am developing a game idea right now, I am making a stupid maze game at the moment for fun and learning at the moment(you can play it here in your browser, WASD + mouse and f for fullscreen, code is here), and right now the maze is 2D and I need to change the algorithm a little.
    Now I want to create a maze, but then in 3D! So instead of 4 possibilities to account with, it are 6!
    It's doesn't really feel like a game, but I like it.
    This is maybe also a good example to compare framerates on it.
    joppiesaus, Oct 20, 2015
    Last edited by joppiesaus; at Oct 20, 2015
  7. Gingy

Gingy Back Into Space

The thread is basically ideas for future games. I started with an idea I have if I decided to do a console port, where I allow the option to turn down graphical settings in order to run the game at 60fps instead of 30.
  8. Snipecoolbunny

ahhh....
  9. MichaelH

MichaelH Writer

• Dev Member
    When you said ideas for games, I think I was imagining something a bit more high level in terms of overall game concept, not so much a focus on the mechanics. Both are important, though.

I've floated a few ideas around in my head for games, but have never had the time/inclination to try and pursue them myself. First one is an idea I had to do a kind of shitty version of in Gamemaker for a college class--a time travel based puzzle solver/platformer. The idea being that you're the janitor in a secret research lab when something goes catastrophically wrong, and you have to make your way out--and you find one of the devices the scientists have been tinkering with. Congratulations, it's a time travel device! However, it's limited by massive power consumption, so you can only travel back at certain charging ports.

The overall gameplay would be that you platform your way through the lab trying to get out, sometimes requiring the assistance of your future self. The catch is that once you've gotten through and gotten your future self out of the area, you need to travel back and solve the other half of the puzzle you just went through--and you have to do it without directly contradicting what you just saw your future self do, or else you cause a paradox. I like to think of it as a 4D platformer. The name was going to be "Paradox."

Other game I've toyed around with is a Dwarf Fortress style city-management game, except your "city" is a generation ship. You'd either be the nameless force controlling everything, or you might be a literal AI in charge of managing the ship over the centuries as it travels towards its destination. You'd have to handle things like morale, genetics, research and development, sustainable food supply, even making repairs, modifications, or potentially expansions to your ship. And hey, maybe there could be alien threats or cults that form amongst your passengers, stuff like that. It could be open ended in terms of seeing how long you can keep your generation ship going, or could have a "campaign mode" in which you have a set destination and are just trying to get there, while shit goes wrong en route.
    Gingy likes this.
  10. 10d22

10d22 Designer

• Dev Member
    Fantasy Trade Tycoon, where player is a owner of a Merchant Guild that and can create convoys and trade routes between towns and villages, hire adventurers to defend them against goblin bandits etc. and the player can also setup shops and industry and hire adventures to raid dungeons.
    Gingy likes this.
  11. MichaelH

MichaelH Writer

• Dev Member
    I had an idea similar on the surface to Fantasy Trade Tycoon, except it was more focused on managing a city in a stereotypical fantasy setting--perhaps as the commander of the local guard (it was pretty Terry Pratchett inspired). You would have to deal with adventurers wrecking your shit all the time, while simultaneously being the biggest influx of money that the city sees.
    NeonSturm likes this.
  12. Arctic

• Tester
    A Minecraft-technic-mods-esque game where you build processing machines to fulfil contracts and eventually earn mad spacebux. You start off in "Grandma's Shed" where resources come in via a tap and grandma drives your produce off in her VW Beetle. The first contract is to polish some rocks for a fiver. Eventually, you upgrade to a garage, warehouse, industrial complex and pocket dimension.
    After a while, hostile manufacturers will start teleporting killbots into your factory to fuck shit up. You then need to start making defences - which need their own chains of complex supply - and using your own killbots to execute hostile takeovers. You'll eventually also need to build research facilities, having exhausted the purchasable blocks and machines.
    Gingy likes this.
  13. Gingy

Gingy Back Into Space

Before replying to everyone's comments, I want to take a moment to thank everyone for their ideas so far. I've liked all of them, and am glad to see this at least became a half decent forum for spit-balling ideas.

@MichaelH Your idea reminds me a lot of a mod for Portal called Thinking With Time Machines. Although, I think the backstory certainly sets yours apart from the mod. It sounds like a game with boundless potential if done well. I admit, I don't think I could disassociate the idea from the Portal franchise, but I love the games enough that this is not necessarily a bad thing.

@10d22 I'm honestly surprised someone hasn't done that sort of spin on the tycoon genre. It seems like something that would work really well. I'm curious how you would handle various types of shops in such a game, or would everything work more or less like traveling merchants which implicitly sell whatever they can get their hands on.

@Arctic Although I'm not personally a fan of that genre (Can it be called a genre?), I'm a fan of the spin on it where you start at a point even lower than the infamous garage based business, yet can work your way to levels which are practically godlike in comparison to the starting point.

I had another idea that pertains to development rather than actual game ideas, but I wanted to give everyone a chance to say their piece in response to what I just said first.
    10d22 and Arctic like this.
  14. NeonSturm

NeonSturm Back Into Space

I will make a game when I find some niche nobody has built a game for jet, or when I know how to do everything I need for a game when I find something comparable to the big games (except the nice graphics - for these I would just write a plugin-system).

Currently I am interested into making AIs which could be used by games - mainly for near-human-level conversations. Maybe I find the missing key elements before I start thinking about something else.

I am interested mainly in the framework for it and an example data-set.
    Because for an adult AI, you would need to fill a database the size of a dictionary with applicable "knowledge".

Perhaps it could proof useful in missions, a tutorial-like helper AI, wiki entry search engine or a visual novel game (assisting to write it, filling in a variable storyline).

I actually started games, but finished none because I got bored to repeat re-inventing the wheel.

Nameless Tower defence : Just to make my first 2D-drawing in JavaScript-canvas-elements, not the game was important to me.

Nameless Escape-Velocity-like game:
    2D drawing with Bezier-curves, images
    Hierarchical tree of objects to attach sub-objects to them (and sub-sub-objects, …).
    Draw-Cache of not-changed objects (enable cache for sub-objects as needed).

You can control a player-space-ship with a single thruster at the rear and touch a wormhole. That is all.

I don't like "just exponential grinding games" (=start in grannies garage and end in a pocket of space-time owned by you).

I like games more if you can fine-tune what you have.
    More like recycle the best parts out of 5 shitty cars to get a better one or 2 aimed at different goals.

Most importantly, better =/= bigger. Better = more individual fitting, more efficient, more diversity to choose from, …
    But I don't like cars too much where you have to go out to access the cargo space and face danger from outside you can not engage while driving (blocked passages, a gun-man in a small passage, … - all seen in games).
    Especially in Germany, you can't even drive your modded car very often (laws).
    We don't have as much diversity as Americans in car sports either.
    And that is why I like space-ships. Independent in shape (negligible air-drag mechanics in games at least), outside law enforcement ranges, apart from where you can endanger others with your faults … It smells like freedom.
    Or perhaps it's just the 3rd dimension of space which is so attractive after seeing cluttered streets all day for life-time.

I'd like a game that is similar to my goal in life: Keep enjoyed diversity in life, make more of it!
    Gingy likes this.
  15. Snipecoolbunny

What is this? We have SOA!!! XD

EDIT: game mechanics show be determined in the broad sense. Is it possible to make the game adapt itself to determine smaller mechanics as it finds them? Like the program in SAO?
    Snipecoolbunny, Jan 2, 2016
    Last edited by Snipecoolbunny; at Jan 2, 2016
  16. Arctic

• Tester
    "Emergent Gameplay"
    Found in games like Rust and Minecraft and DayZ. It's sort of like the "Meta" you get when your game has a lot of openness.
    Gingy likes this.
  17. Potatocat

Potatocat Back Into Space

And to think I could have posted this here. Perhaps I should search the forums more often?

Anyway, the concept is sound, in my opinion. Got the idea thinking about how atoms collide. Which of course would be impractical in gaming due to the large number of objects in the world to achieve real world detail, so I figured it would be better to use large spheres to take up the majority of the space, and then simply filling the corners with smaller ones. I think it would bring an interesting dynamic to gameplay. Das all
    Potatocat, Jan 14, 2016
    Last edited by Potatocat; at Jan 14, 2016
  18. Gingy

Gingy Back Into Space

I honestly think your post wassuited for its own thread, but elaborating on the atom thing might not be a bad idea.
  19. NeonSturm

NeonSturm Back Into Space

Let's say something is 1m away. The next frame, you might have changed your angle by 3°. But if something is 10m away, your changed your angle toward it by 0.3° assuming the same move.

How it matters? The blocks rendered last frame are still on your screen. Most of the time.
    There are a few "holes" which can be rendered at lower resolution and blurry to save calculations. After all a human perception also takes longer to see unexpected things (and vision gets quite blurry when turning around quickly).

If rendered blocks would feed their position back into the rendering pipe of next frame, as well as these blurry/hole areas do feed back their view angle from a position, it could massively decrease the amount of rendered objects.
    You could even go so far to pre-pipe objects close to rendered blocks (above, below, right, left in an orthogonal view) or you could use a view from your camera position or the average of expected positions on selected blocks to pre-fetch data.

The tricky part is not doing it on a CPU, but efficiently on the GPU.
    EDIT: Logarithmic distances of "imaginative drawing surfaces" might archive a compression of required calculations. I would sometimes like to sacrifice depth details for a frame-rate above 30.
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2016
    NeonSturm, Jan 14, 2016
    Last edited by NeonSturm; at Jan 14, 2016
  20. Gingy

Gingy Back Into Space

Perhaps I'm misinterpreting what you're saying, but it sounds like something which could be done by loading geometry beyond the player's field of view and less and less quality as the geometry is further from the player's field of view. If done well enough, I'd imagine this could improve performance. It would also lessen the validity of the excuse for developers to try to make games run better by using a tiny field of view.
    Potatocat and NeonSturm like this.