1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Development Pacing - Sep 2015

Discussion in 'News and Development' started by PsychoticLeprechaun, Sep 6, 2015.

1. PsychoticLeprechaun

PsychoticLeprechaun Designer & Web Developer

• Dev Member
    We have a very important blog post out today, we'd like to discuss development pace as we near the end of the summer period. Thank you for the support you have given us as always!

Blog Post.
  2. ColdFuseon

ColdFuseon Mercenary

• Contributor
    You guys should put a donation button somewhere, maybe some will donate, or for when the game will be more known. Anyways take your time and good job for the game guys
    ColdFuseon, Sep 6, 2015
    Last edited by ColdFuseon; at Sep 6, 2015
    Benjamin, Snipecoolbunny and Gingy like this.
  3. Thomas988

Thomas988 Back Into Space

It's a shame to know development will be slowing down, but I'll be here to the end. Just keep 'er goin'!

I think once 0.20 is out we'll have something quite impressive. I've also thought about recommending SoA to some YouTubers, just in case they may be interested and could help get some attention. However, I don't want to do that until the next update is out and SoA is at its peak awesomeness. Like ColdFuseon said, you guys should start up a donation page, since I'm so many of us could help out.

All you guys are awesome as heck, and hope for the best!
  4. Arctic

Arctic Giant Robot Advocate

• Tester
    PUT A DONATION BUTTON AND I PERSONALLY WILL MAKE SURE THE CASH FLOWS LIKE SEWAGE
  5. Danarkivus-2

Danarkivus-2 Back Into Space

and i can give the dev team 400$ right now!!!
  6. Arpak

Arpak Moderator - Former CM

If you guys ever need some extra help shoot me a message on skype.
  7. Sevio

Sevio Back Into Space

Best wishes to Ben with finding a job, being able to eat is kinda high priority after all! I'm glad to hear that you're not giving up on the game though. Are you in need of more developers? I've occasionally toyed with the idea of helping out, although I could only contribute a few hours a week in the long term given I already have a job and would like to maintain a decent work-life balance.
    Sevio, Sep 7, 2015
    Last edited by Sevio; at Sep 7, 2015
    Benjamin likes this.
  8. PsychoticLeprechaun

• Dev Member
    Hey guys, I'd like to thank you all from the bottom of our collective team heart. This kind of response is exactly what keeps us chugging along, even when things slow down. We've explored the idea of donations a few times, but we want to ensure that any donation system we did implement was done right. We'll no doubt give it another discussion, and there are some new ideas that may make it a lot more acceptable from the view point of how we would want the project to work financially - basically we want to not be dicks. Also, as for work you guys could provide to contribute, we actually have some ideas we are going to discuss internally and we'll let you know as soon as we have finished discussing them, what those things are (assuming we don't end up finding issues with them).
    Jpr, Benjamin, ColdFuseon and 3 others like this.
  9. joppiesaus

joppiesaus Infamous Space-Octopus

I'm poor programmer too. But that's OK, because I'm 16 and I've parents who make delicious food and buy high mattresses for me!

Is it that you aimed too high? That you didn't stay small? I don't know. I don't think so. I guess things like this are hard.

And another minor question: How far are we from the next release?

I wish somehow we all could contribute.
    Idea: Make it all open source, so that everyone could contribute to the code! (EDIT: answer is ^)
    But that would have it's dis-benefits, either.

Good luck with the situation.
    joppiesaus, Sep 7, 2015
    Last edited by joppiesaus; at Sep 7, 2015
  10. zeroinnocent

zeroinnocent Tester

• Tester
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2015
    zeroinnocent, Sep 7, 2015
    Last edited by zeroinnocent; at Sep 7, 2015
  11. PsychoticLeprechaun

• Dev Member
    @joppiesaus the scope of the game is definitely a major factor in why the work required is so much. That said, we have no intentions of stopping!

As you have mentioned, open sourcing the project has its own problems. We have discussed options and we have some ideas of how to improve the ability for contributions to be made. We'll discuss the details of these discussions as and when a final consensus is reached amongst the team!
  12. Snipecoolbunny

Snipecoolbunny Back Into Space

hope you guys get financial support!
    ColdFuseon, Benjamin and Thomas988 like this.
  13. Benjamin

Benjamin Lead Developer

• Dev Leader
    The thing about opening ourselves to donations is that we will definitely not receive enough funding to make a big impact, and donation is sort of all or nothing. I would rather not take money from you all when you have already given us so much support. The mere fact that you guys are still supportive even after I have been wrong about all my time projections is more than we deserve.
  14. joppiesaus

joppiesaus Infamous Space-Octopus

Things are hard.
    ColdFuseon likes this.
  15. Arctic

Arctic Giant Robot Advocate

• Tester
    Well, we can't ask for too much. After all, we haven't given you a penny. We don't really have the privilege to complain about time seriously, especially since you've been so engaged with the community, and all we've done is provide the most intangible resource of all, moral support.
  16. tetryds

tetryds cus tet, that's it

Take your time.
    Snipecoolbunny likes this.
  17. Gram

Gram Crash Landed

I'd pay for github access just for your beautiful voxel engine, so I could tinker with it (though I would need to learn c++ and a good deal of math).

Has the regrowth team talked about marketing your engine as an alpha style product (like voxel farm but more so just for fans)? That way even if the game doesn't make it people who donated/bought the engine would not feel ripped off.
    Actually, I think everyone would rather it go open source if it was to be abandand that way it still may get finished.
    Though still, abandonment is totally worst case scenario (sorry for being a downer). Slow progress is immeasurably better than no progress/abandonment, please take your time and continue to make the foundation perfect we all wish you guys the best.
  18. Snipecoolbunny

Snipecoolbunny Back Into Space

i just like your profile pic. xP
    Gram likes this.
  19. PsychoticLeprechaun

• Dev Member
    Licensing the engine is something that we are interested in doing, and as and when it is possible, we will no doubt begin to do so. The aim would be to make it as accessible as possible for small teams and those using it for educational purposes, though an exact model doesn't exist right now.
    Snipecoolbunny, Thomas988 and Gram like this.
  20. Gram

Gram Crash Landed

That is really exciting, there are a lot of options for Regrowth. It's good to know a bit about software licencing before talking to a lawyer as they are expensive.

From my understanding here is an potential option on how to monetize open source software:
    1. By law, software licenses do not restrict the original owner from making money off it. For example, Regrowth could sell Commercial licenses to other companies.
    2. It is suggested to copyright/trademark the SoA content (but not the engine itself) making 3rd party SoA content distribution of the game itself illegal.*
    3. A restrictive license like Creative Commons Attribution NonCommercial (CC-BY-NC) allows non-profit modification and distribution (excluding the SoA copyright/trademark content).

* Can be tweaked to allow 3rd party mods and tools.
    References:
    tl;dr
    Regrowth has the option to sell the game (illegal to copy), and the engine (illegal to commercially copy) all while making it open source. Open source is free to host on GitHub and encourages community contributions (once it's popular). :)
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2015
    Gram, Sep 14, 2015
    Last edited by Gram; at Sep 14, 2015