1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do programmers like math?

Discussion in 'Nerd Out Zone' started by joppiesaus, Oct 5, 2014.

1. joppiesaus

joppiesaus Infamous Space-Octopus

Let's all agree: If you don't like logic/math in any way, you won't be a programmer.
    What some people think: "I don't need to learn math I'll just make video games when I grow up" :p
    I like math.
    In fact, I like math so much, I follow it 8 hours/week, I follow the two most "advanced" mathematics class availiable.
    I think about things every day. Like: would 1/infinity be 0? Or "MATH STOP IT OKAY HOW IS THIS EVEN POSSIBLE": -1 = i^2 = sqrt(-1) * sqrt(-1) = sqrt(-1 * -1) = sqrt(1) = 1
    -1 = 1
    -2 = 2*(-1...) = 2
    -15 = 15*(-1...) = 15

Back to topic:
    And I like programming.
    I also like all sciences. I like astronomy, physics, and chemistry.
    I just suck at languages.

So about the "programmers like math" question:
    Do you think about this the same way?
    joppiesaus, Oct 5, 2014
    Last edited by joppiesaus; at Oct 5, 2014
  2. Benjamin

Benjamin Lead Developer

• Dev Leader
    When I was in high school I didn't like math. Then I started programming and math was becoming useful. Once I was able to use math in a practical sense, I started to really like it! Now I like to think I am pretty decent at math, and I definitely enjoy it. Though the math on some of the research papers I have to read is still really hard... As for imaginary numbers... they are indeed weird, but they gave us quaternions so I love em!
  3. adtdeveloping

adtdeveloping Reinvented The Wheel

I like math too. Same as Physics, Chemistry, Astronomy, (Astrophysics), Etc.
    I do allot with those and experiment allot with that.
    I am good at maths and can use them.

My problem often is that I am not used to stuff like. Graphics :p...

I didn't like math's in the first place. But the same as Ben. I started liking it when I started programming.
    I have the luck that most of my IRL friends are Programmers..
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2014
    adtdeveloping, Oct 11, 2014
    Last edited by adtdeveloping; at Oct 11, 2014
  4. PsychoticLeprechaun

PsychoticLeprechaun Designer & Web Developer

• Dev Member
    I adore maths (I should given I'm doing Physics with Theoretical Physics at uni!), though the time when that really shines is when I can use mathematical techniques on new problems; problems I already know how to solve (or problems of which their solution is shown to me before I get opportunity to solve the problem myself) generally bore me. I think my particular fondness of maths is the fact that there are so many problems one can tackle within its domain. Which probably also contributes to why I love physics - maths problems, incredible concepts and the fact that it is applied but still has the fundamental feel of maths compared with the other sciences (to me, that feeling no doubt differs from person to person).

This is also why I love programming, I love tackling problems that are new to me, and that feeling is amplified when the problems solved have some application in the real world! I got in to programming because of the fact I love solving problems, which is why I am so drawn to mathematical physics, so perhaps it is this problem solving enjoyment that draws many to programming (and would generally lend itself to those same people enjoying maths)?
  5. Colton

Colton Crash Landed

I'm currently a freshman taking Algebra II at a nationally ranked high school. I used to kind of enjoy math, but its really freaking hard and I'm struggling to keep a B in it right now. I'm still pretty new to programming, the coolest thing I've done is built a pretty sweet website in pure HTML/CSS for semester latin project (I don't know if that really counts because web development is different than programming) but I really hope as I get further into C++ and Java I will enjoy using math like Ben in a more practical use.
  6. PsychoticLeprechaun

PsychoticLeprechaun Designer & Web Developer

• Dev Member
    Web design is different to programming, but web development as a whole is very much programming: it generally involves developing front-end features in JavaScript or back-end features in a language like PHP!