1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dylan - Week 27 - 2015

Discussion in 'Developer Progress Reports' started by Dysche, Jul 3, 2015.

1. Dysche

Dysche Intern Programmer

• Dev Member
    Hi guys!, This is my first progress report, but I will do stuff a bit different.. Instead of daily reports, I will post weekly ones. In the report I will tell / show everything I did that week.
    I will post these every Friday morning!

Okay, let's get started.

- Tuesday 30 June -
    I joined the Dev team as an Intern on this day!, I didn't do much else than messing around a bit..

- Wednesday 1 July -
    I started working on a tool for designers, where they can see connected textures (And possibly other texture methods) easily, without having to restart the game every time.
    Due to some complications with the Voxel Meshing, I couldn't do much.

- Thursday 2 July -
    Ben did an amazing job on making the Voxel Mesher more user friendly, I can now continue with the texture tool!
    But, before I will work on that again, me and the guys had a discussion on the future of the Vorb UI.
    We agreed on a new, more user friendly system, It'll be easy to use for almost everyone, even people that aren't experienced in programming at all!
    The system will also be much more powerful, it will allow you to style the UI extremely detailed.
    I will be working on the UI the next days or weeks.

I won't go into too much detail on it, as I am still writing some articles about it, and figuring out the architecture.

Thanks for reading!, If you have suggestions / questions feel free to mention them in a post.
    *No images yet, sorry!*
    Dysche, Jul 3, 2015
    Last edited by Dysche; at Jul 3, 2015
    Cisla, Benjamin, Danarkivus-2 and 3 others like this.
  2. Thomas988

Thomas988 Back Into Space

Nice work, ADG! This stuff sounds really interesting!
    Dysche likes this.
  3. Sevio

Sevio Back Into Space

Good to hear the UI is getting a lot of attention in this phase of development!
    Dysche likes this.
  4. Danarkivus-2

Danarkivus-2 Back Into Space

Cool. I also like how you set up the progress report.
    Dysche likes this.
  5. Dysche

Dysche Intern Programmer

• Dev Member
    Sorry for the short report, next time it will be much more detailed.
    As I only joined about three days ago I haven't been able to do much :)
    Xion likes this.
  6. Xion

Xion Industrial Re-revolutionist

If there's anything close to the API for World of Warcraft's in-game UI, I'll be ecstatic!

Here are some key points I'd like to suggest:
    • If it is an interactive element on the screen, you should be able to style it at least as extensible as CSS. I say CSS, because I know nothing of programming outside of web development. :p
    • If it has a varying number value, it should have its own, plug and play, data text. (e.g. health; resource/currency; location/relative distance; any physical, chemical, or biological statistic)
    • Everything you change should be saved to a separate 'addons' folder and should be able to be integrated with mod packs.
    This is all I really care about for this game is to be able to make it look how I want it to. I will be so happy if I just had to learn lua to change any part of the UI I want.
  7. Dysche

Dysche Intern Programmer

• Dev Member
    • You will be able to style the UI as extensible as CSS, it will allow you to do ALLOT when it's done!
    • You can use the LUA bindings to make the text change, for example, based one health!
    • I am not exactly sure what you meant by the last one.
    The most important part will be done in LUA!, If you know lua you can basically style it however you want. YAML is used as a static 'base'. In there you can set static details on certain objects (Like colouring and texturing), the LUA will be used for dynamic styling (Changing colours, changing textures, etc)
  8. Xion

Xion Industrial Re-revolutionist

http://wowwiki.wikia.com/AddOn

Maybe this better explains the last one.
  9. Dysche

Dysche Intern Programmer

• Dev Member
    We aren't sure about the file structure of the mods folder yet, or anything mod related, so I can't help you with the last one. :)
    Dysche, Jul 3, 2015
    Last edited by Dysche; at Jul 3, 2015
    PsychoticLeprechaun likes this.
  10. PsychoticLeprechaun

PsychoticLeprechaun Designer & Web Developer

• Dev Member
    Dylan is right in that we can't give you details just yet. We can promise, however, that our system will be designed with ease of use in mind. A drop, enable, use method for mods will be a highly desirable outcome of the system we implement (especially for the future plans we have for making mod installation even easier). We will no doubt give specific details the second they are ready, but ease of use from the perspective of mod consumers is a priority, as is flexibility for mod authors where possible in the case of structuring their own mod's file system. We are confident we can meet these values in the system we do implement - we just don't have details on that system as of yet.
    Dysche and Xion like this.