1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Engravings, Embroidery, Personalisation

Discussion in 'Feature Suggestions' started by Arctic, Jun 3, 2014.

1. Arctic

Arctic Giant Robot Advocate

• Tester
    People seem to dislike text walls (For whatever reason) so I've decided to keep this thread short.

The idea is that you would be able to create small images that would be applicable to your weapons, gear, and clothing. The images would be importable from the player's computer. Engravings would be monotone, in whatever colour the rest of the gun is but darker because there's an engraving there. You might also be able to make a plaque to put engravings on, to make it more distinctive. Stickers might work similarly, but accept more colours.

Embroidery would be a similar thing. The player would be able to make patches, similar to those of the military, and be able to apply them to clothing for personalisation and easy identification between groups. You should also be able to customise the colours of these clothes.

And while we're at it, maybe the player would also be able to colour the individual parts of their guns.

What do these features mean? It means easy identification. "Look out, those guys are wearing white and gold! Their patches are of [GROUP EMBLEM]! Those guys are our enemies, we should run!"
    "That man is wearing our uniform. Let him through."
    We see that people tend to get attached to their game items, like weapons or animals. We should therefore accommodate this. Engravings and patches for clothes do this.
    Arctic, Jun 3, 2014
    Last edited by Arctic; at Jun 3, 2014
    SpaceHippie likes this.
  2. tetryds

tetryds cus tet, that's it

Using uncommon words don't enhance the suggestion.
    Let me put it simple: Custom emblems and textures on the game, that you can apply to several things.
    Yeah that's a nice idea.
    tetryds, Jun 3, 2014
    Last edited by tetryds; at Jun 3, 2014
  3. scarere

scarere <Battle Scarred Jesus>

Ya but the whole group emblem thing seems like not such a great idea. What's to stop someone from disguising themselves as the enemy using their enemy's emblem, and then killing you all. It would definitely be a cool feature, but I don't see it functioning as a method of identifying someone as an enemy or ally
  4. tetryds

I would rather just be able to stick a tag to things.
    If you want to use them as a team recognition you do, at your own risk.

Edit: better, just be able to paint some kinds of blocks on your items or use something like Tony Hawk's Pro Skater grafiti, you just place an image on a block.
    tetryds, Jun 3, 2014
    Last edited by tetryds; at Jun 3, 2014
  5. PsychoticLeprechaun

PsychoticLeprechaun Designer & Web Developer

• Dev Member
    The best solution, most likely, would be to simply allow embroidery and engraving (these are the actually correct words for what is being suggested to be fair) during the actual construction phase of objects - when their default mesh is shown and the player may then modify it. Then custom embroidery that identifies a user as part of a specific faction could be used freely and dynamically by a faction, and players that are capable could try to forge that identifying embroidery in order to gain an element of surprise when attacking an enemy faction. Of course, that disguising could be counter balanced by the fact that players all look unique, so if a faction knows their member's appearances, it would be harder to attack an enemy faction by wearing their colours.
  6. tetryds

Yeah that's something simmilar to what I meant.
    Very interesting concept.
  7. Arctic

• Tester
    I am not suggesting that the team identification purpose is there explicitly, more that it might arise as a result of implementing this feature.
    And then there's that whole thing with "That friendly dude is shooting us, let's return fire". That's a thing, yes.
    Ach, I can't get to grips with this whole "Custom mesh" thing. It's awesome, and a fantastic idea, but I'm so used to traditional game gear systems that I just can't think about this. In any case, it's a brilliant thing to have.
    I do think that gun engravings should be monotone, if only to preserve aesthetics. Huge purple splotches are... not pretty, to say the least.
    Anyway, just being able to stick tags to things would be nice.
  8. ThatOneGuy

ThatOneGuy Reinvented The Wheel

There could be face masks with custom mustaches.
  9. Arctic

• Tester
    I want a Hoxton mask. To go around and bandit all over the place.
  10. Agarthan

Agarthan Reinvented The Wheel

We have that in the real world, its called false flag terrorism.
    Agarthan, Jun 28, 2014
    Last edited by Agarthan; at Jun 28, 2014