1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Exomoons? Exomoons.

Discussion in 'News and Development' started by PsychoticLeprechaun, Jun 8, 2015.

1. PsychoticLeprechaun

PsychoticLeprechaun Designer & Web Developer

• Dev Member
    Turns out our plans for habitable moons weren't so far fetched after all, and in fact reflect real astrophysics! Read more here.
  2. Thomas988

Thomas988 Back Into Space

I never doubted the plans to begin with. ;)

ALDRIN IS BEST MOON
  3. Xion

Xion Industrial Re-revolutionist

Yeah, I'm moving to Aldrin irl whenever possible. Who's coming with me? (It exists, right? I mean, of course it does... right? Yeah... why wouldn't it?)

Now, just need to build a space ship... Hmmm...
  4. Thomas988

If that theory of a universe for every possibility is true then there has be at least one with Aldrin! :D
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2015
    Thomas988, Jun 9, 2015
    Last edited by Thomas988; at Jun 9, 2015
    Xion likes this.
  5. Snipecoolbunny

Snipecoolbunny Back Into Space

I call shotgun!
    Xion likes this.
  6. Chaser04

Chaser04 Reinvented The Wheel

Have room for one more?
    Thomas988, Xion and Snipecoolbunny like this.
  7. PsychoticLeprechaun

PsychoticLeprechaun Designer & Web Developer

• Dev Member
    At least an infinite number, if that concept is true. ;)

Edit: well, assuming possibilities of events aren't all quantised at some level.
    PsychoticLeprechaun, Jun 9, 2015
    Last edited by PsychoticLeprechaun; at Jun 9, 2015
    Snipecoolbunny and Thomas988 like this.
  8. Thomas988

Eh, what does it matter? Aldrin's out there somewhere! Anyone up for managing a kickstarter for our interdimensional colony ship? :p
  9. Sevio

Sevio Back Into Space

Kinda sad that they only mention "up to mars-sized worlds" though in that article. Does that mean an earth-sized moon would need a bigger gas giant to support its orbit (and formation)?
  10. _zombiehunter

_zombiehunter Artist & Designer

• Dev Member
    Sure, a more massive gas giant can support more massive moons. They mentioned "mars-sized moons" for Jupiter-like planets, so I guess having mars-sized moons would be plausible for gas giants with around 200-400 earth masses. Hyperion (1530 earth masses) can definitely have earth-sized or even super-earth moons, the most massive possible gas giants (~4000 earth masses) could even be orbited by Neptune-like moons, which are small gas planets themselves.
  11. Sevio

Sevio Back Into Space

Ahh so Hyperion is actually a lot more massive than I thought, that makes its moons more sensible then! The orbital velocities and delta-V requirements for traveling between Hyperion's moons must be immense! (but not as immense as those for traveling around the solar system)

Have you also done a bit of theorycrafting on the amount of radiation that Hyperion's moons would be exposed to? Io for example is exposed to staggering amounts of radiation due to Jupiter's immense magnetic field, despite the distance from the sun. I wonder if even an earth-like atmosphere might not be enough to reduce the radiation levels to something survivable when Hyperion is so much more massive and orbits in the habitable zone.
    Sevio, Jun 11, 2015
    Last edited by Sevio; at Jun 11, 2015
  12. _zombiehunter

_zombiehunter Artist & Designer

• Dev Member
    I don't know exact numbers, but current plan is to divide the radiation belts of gas giants into an outer and inner belt each, having different radiation levels. Hyperion's inner radiation belt contains the rings and the three inner moons, and reaches close to the orbit of Aldrin. Radiation levels here would be much higher than in Jupiter's radiation belts and kill an unprotected human within a few minutes. The outer radiation belt of Hyperion contains Aldrin, Darwin and Fyto, the radation levels here are still deadly in free space (but lower than within Jupiter's belts). All three moons have their own magnetic fields to protect them, their dense atmospheres offer additional protection. Average radiation levels on Aldrin's surface would definitely be a bit higher than on Earth, but still low enough to safely walk around unprotected.
    _zombiehunter, Jun 11, 2015
    Last edited by _zombiehunter; at Jun 11, 2015
    Sevio and Thomas988 like this.
  13. Sevio

Sevio Back Into Space

Sounds good to me! Can't wait to build my first spaceship, making sure I have enough protection from the radiation on my space suit, go to orbit and do a spacewalk. :D
    Thomas988 likes this.