1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Frank - May 16th 2015

Discussion in 'Developer Progress Reports' started by jaxfrank, May 17, 2015.

1. jaxfrank

jaxfrank Programmer

• Dev Member
    Hello everyone! As you guys know Ben has started posting these daily developer updates and he is pushing the rest of us to do them as well. So, welcome to my first progress report!

*Vorb Engine*
    I have not worked on the engine today so, see Ben's post for engine stuffs.

*Game*
    Today and last night I have been working on creating a Voxel Model Loader. That's right, we can now load all the awesome models that Andreas has been making. So for all of you that are so excited to see what kinds of stuff we can draw here's a screen shot.

[​IMG]

It's a crate! So exciting, I know. Here's something a little more interesting in my opinion.

[​IMG]

An anvil!

Getting this to work wasn't anything too difficult but I did manage to create a bug that made the game crash when loading models made by Andreas but not the other ones I used to test with(which included some models from Stonehearth). Ben helped to find that bug like he said in his post. If you would like to know about how loading the models works you can find some pseudo code here.

To render the Voxel Models I wrote a simple meshing algorithm that takes the Voxel data and creates a culled mesh. Using a more optimal greedy meshing algorithm could be better in some cases. However, the high amount of variation in the coloring of the models, in most cases, would make for no significant benefit. Therefore, using the less optimal culled method might be better because mesh creation is faster. If you would like to know more information about the two meshing algorithms I have talked about here and others you can see that in this blog post and this one by 0 FPS.

Commits
    Game Code: 3 by me and 3 by others.
  2. Thomas988

Thomas988 Back Into Space

I had seen these models before, but I didn't know they would be ready for 0.20. Amazing work, guys!
    ColdFuseon likes this.
  3. dutra

dutra Programmer

• Dev Member
    Awesome work Frank!
    ColdFuseon likes this.
  4. ColdFuseon

ColdFuseon Lost in Space

• Contributor
    Yes ! Nice, man. Good job Frank. I have to say, Frankly, that Frank has done some really nice work there.

(sorry)
    Last edited: May 17, 2015
    ColdFuseon, May 17, 2015
    Last edited by ColdFuseon; at May 17, 2015
    Thomas988 likes this.
  5. joppiesaus

joppiesaus Infamous Space-Octopus

Whoever you are, Frank, it looks supercool!
    (hint: Post something in meet the devs)

EDIT: Oh no never mind I remember you again. Still, it's a good idea to post something in meet the devs! :)
    Last edited: May 17, 2015
    joppiesaus, May 17, 2015
    Last edited by joppiesaus; at May 17, 2015
  6. matc11

matc11 Crash Landed

weird question: Isnt a voxel model loader a thing for the engine?