1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Frank McCoy - Programmer

Discussion in 'Meet the Devs' started by jaxfrank, May 18, 2015.

1. jaxfrank

jaxfrank Programmer

• Dev Member
    Now that I have been on the team for nearly a year I guess it is time to finally do one of these. So, hello! I'm Frank(as the title suggests) and I am one of SoA's programmers(also in the title). I know Java, C++, C#, Lua, LabVIEW, and a few derivatives of C. Before even joining this team I had a massive interest in Voxel Engines and was writing one of my own in Java(you can find it on my GitHub but know that it is not very impressive). I am also very interested in robotics and I am on a FIRST Robotics Competition team called Team Resistance(Team #86). On that team I am the lead programmer and for the past two seasons I have been the co-driver. Those robots weigh about 150lbs with bumpers and batteries and play against each other on a roughly 25ft by 50ft carpeted playing field. You can see my robot playing in this playlist from the 2015 Orlando Regional. As of the time I am writing this I am a junior in high school and I have been programming since I was in 6th grade(longer than Ben has been programming btw).

As for other work, I am an Employee of Renaissance Jax Inc. which is a 501c3 nonprofit with the aim of spread youth competitive robotics throughout the North East Florida region. There I teach students and teachers how to program robots for the FIRST Tech Challenge level of robotics. I also work with the interns at Jonshon & Johnson Vistakon in the Dream it Do it program to teach them how to program robots.

My other intests include RC multirotors, CNC machinery, 3d printing, computer design and architecture, electronics, and various types of Metal and Rock and Roll.

If you have any questions for me ask them below and I will do my best to answer them.
    joppiesaus, NeonSturm, Xion and 3 others like this.
  2. PsychoticLeprechaun

PsychoticLeprechaun Designer & Web Developer

• Dev Member
    Can we get a robot army for world dom- peace?
    NeonSturm, Benjamin and ColdFuseon like this.
  3. ColdFuseon

ColdFuseon Lost in Space

• Contributor
    [​IMG]

KILL THE ENGLISH SPEA-SPEA-SPEAK01100101 01110010

H-HUMANS WILL 01110000ERISH

(btw i'm impressed, you did a lot of things!)
    ColdFuseon, May 18, 2015
    Last edited by ColdFuseon; at May 18, 2015
  4. jaxfrank

jaxfrank Programmer

• Dev Member
    Find me the money and I can definitely make "world peace" happen.
  5. Arctic

Arctic Giant Robot Advocate

• Tester
    With the ev-NICE cyhbong army
    ColdFuseon likes this.
  6. 10d22

10d22 Designer

• Dev Member
    "Man is a robot with defects."
    ColdFuseon likes this.
  7. ColdFuseon

ColdFuseon Lost in Space

• Contributor
    Defects that we take care of using SCIENCE !
  8. Danarkivus-2

Danarkivus-2 Back Into Space

nothing can't be fixed with science well besides my face.
    ColdFuseon likes this.
  9. NeonSturm

NeonSturm Back Into Space

*me tries to program a firewall for AI-mind :)

@jaxfrank wanna improve your A-Star?

For 2D:
    Draw a line between origin--destination.
    Detect obstacles.
    Go around the obstacle (both left and right), until you see the destination again.

Now you have 2 branches (left-around, right-around) = 4 lines.

Repeat above, continue with shortest/best branch.

Improvement: Detect similar branches which cross each other. Cross = intermediate destination, best/shortest branch from/to it survives.​

For 3D:
    A path is a polygon-bounded 3D-projection between 2 polygons.​

Pathing-Nodes:
    Don't use them. They are ugly.

Instead create polygon-surfaces/areas or areas and create a tree of:
    • Flat surface, accessible (polygon)
      • Obstacle (polygon)
        • Flat surface within obstacle (again a polygon)
      • Another obstacle
    • Another flat surface, separated by first.
    For each Pathing-type (some can share polygons)

Now you only have to check whether origin and destination are within the same polygon to check whether it's accessible.

If free space between 2 obstacles is too small for a robot/unit to pass, count it as different obstacle, referring to the others for reference (track when these will be destroyed to clear automatically).
    • Maybe requires a split/join of 2+ polygons based on this.
    Last edited: May 19, 2015
    NeonSturm, May 19, 2015
    Last edited by NeonSturm; at May 19, 2015
    jaxfrank likes this.
  10. jaxfrank

jaxfrank Programmer

• Dev Member
    I haven't messed with that code in a really long time(almost a year probably) but the next time I am working with A* I will definitely keep this in mind. Thanks.
    NeonSturm likes this.