1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Georg Hammerschmid - Artist & Designer

Discussion in 'Meet the Devs' started by _zombiehunter, Feb 26, 2014.

1. _zombiehunter

_zombiehunter Artist & Designer

• Dev Member
    Hi everyone!
    My name is Georg Hammerschmid (known as _zombiehunter in the Minecraft and SoA community). I’m from Austria, where I’m currently studying Technical Chemistry. I love science, especially chemistry, but also biology and all about space :rolleyes:
    My favourite games are SoA, Half-Life/Black Mesa and Minecraft. Between 2011 and 2013 I used a lot of my spare time messing around with Minecraft textures, with focus on high-res photorealistic textures, unfortunately I never had the time to create a complete and massive texture overhaul like Scuttles did. Then I discovered Seed of Andromeda, made block improvements and a bunch of textures for the first builds, Ben liked them and yes, here I am now.

If you have any questions about me, here’s the perfect place to ask.
    minicrafter8401 likes this.
  2. tetryds

tetryds cus tet, that's it

Just one thing im very curious about.
    How long you take to make each of the block textures at high res?
  3. _zombiehunter

• Dev Member
    For complete new materials like the new ore blocks, half an hour per block minimum, but rarely more than two hours (depends on the appearance in-game), making the textures seamless is always the most time-consuming part of it.
  4. minicrafter8401

minicrafter8401 Reinvented The Wheel

I've always tried to make textures for Minecraft and I failed :( Ah well, there's still plenty to use from the community. Any tips?
  5. _zombiehunter

• Dev Member
    How exactly did you fail? Problems with tiling? Or problems to get the colors right? Both problems are commonly found in a lot of 256x256 Minecraft texture packs. The best way to get some practise is to take already existing textures with said problems and then try to solve them. Improving existing textures is a lot easier for the beginning, later you can try to make complete new textures out of images (for example you take photos from grass or bark and try to make a seamless texture out of them). Note that Seed of Andromeda has full texture pack support too (with upcoming support for connected textures), it's probably even easier and faster to work with because of the better file structure. Would be nice to see awesome SOA texture packs in the future :)
  6. minicrafter8401

minicrafter8401 Reinvented The Wheel

I usually make them too bland or make natural blocks have rows of different colors, with no natural texture. Thanks for telling me how to begin.
    Last edited: May 28, 2014
    minicrafter8401, May 28, 2014
    Last edited by minicrafter8401; at May 28, 2014