1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gingy Pack(working title) - A Semi-realistic Pack With Slight Cartoon Aspects

Discussion in 'Asset Packs' started by Gingy, Nov 11, 2014.

1. Acerocks76

Acerocks76 Crash Landed

You could use Arcadia as a texture pack name (synonym of tranquil) because your textures are not loud.
    Gingy and ColdFuseon like this.
  2. Gingy

Gingy Back Into Space

Version 0.1.7 of the pack is out! Please ignore the botched marble texture. I mostly just left that in there so people could see why I was so hesitant to release it.

Also, I want to thank Acerocks76 for the name suggestion.
    ColdFuseon likes this.
  3. Gingy

Gingy Back Into Space

Before I release the next version, I wanted to know if any of you might have a suggestion for my next course of action. I'm pretty much done with the Terrain folder, but there's a handful of textures left that I'm not sure if I really would need to do or not. They seem like textures that probably won't make it to future releases of SoA. For example, one of the blocks in that folder is a "bone block". Do you think I should do those textures anyway, or move on?
  4. Thomas988

Thomas988 Back Into Space

I don't think it matters. I really won't care if you don't texture some blocks.
  5. PsychoticLeprechaun

PsychoticLeprechaun Designer & Web Developer

• Dev Member
    I would say texture the blocks in order of which you think are going to be most common. You'll be generally right and should make for a more quickly seeming-completed pack!
    Gingy and Snipecoolbunny like this.
  6. Gingy

Gingy Back Into Space

I forgot to post that an update was released. I finished the vast majority of the textures in the Terrain folder. I was going to work on the flora next, but decided to take a break on the texture work. I'll probably resume work on the textures on the 1st of November. If you want to know what I'll be doing in the meantime, I can answer either in a message on this forum, a message on the Seed of Andromeda IRC channel, or on Skype. (I'm pretty sure I put my Skype username in the description thing on my profile page for this forum. I'll update that shortly if I didn't put it there.
  7. Gingy

Gingy Back Into Space

I have some rather unfortunate news, as well as some fairly good news.

The good news is that I may soon have a full time job, but that's good for more personal stuff. Unfortunately, it's bad for those who may have been waiting for development of this pack, because I will not be working on the pack at all for the first week to prepare myself for a drastically different schedule.

The real bad news, though, is that either the power supply, or the motherboard of my old computer died. This means I have no working computers with Windows on them which would allow me to work on textures. This means that until I figure out how to get 0.1.6 working in WINE, I won't be able to work on texture in my current setup.

What might potentially be good news is that I might be able to solve this issue by formatting the old drive, sliding it into my new computer, and "renting" Windows until I can afford a legit disk. Although, I'm wondering if I should just buy a new drive, because even though I only really need Windows for testing textures in SoA and helping my room mate put music on her iPhone, continuing to deal with a SATA 1 HDD with only 160GB of storage seems like something that might not be worth it, so I might buy a new hard drive and just use that for the last of my Windows dependent stuff. Thankfully, I've seen drive for $50 with roughly ten times the storage, and some SSDs with significantly more capacity for $70-80, which is an expense I can actually afford right now. (the reason I'm "renting" Windows is because anything more expensive than about $75 will not be possible for me for at least a week, and the bast version of every version of Windows still sold today is at least $100.) Best case scenario, I'm delayed for a week or two. Worst case scenario, I'm delayed for another month. Either way, this is not the end, it's just going to take a bit longer.
    tetryds likes this.
  8. PsychoticLeprechaun

PsychoticLeprechaun Designer & Web Developer

• Dev Member
    Good luck with your job!

SATA 1 isn't the best. :p If you can afford it and are sure of future income (which it looks like you are) then it may be a good investment to get a decent hard drive. I wouldn't necessarily recommend an SSD personally; they are way faster but for the few things you use it for, I have a feeling more storage and slightly faster speeds will be more useful to you? Though that's a judgement call for you to make.
  9. Gingy

Gingy Back Into Space

Well, I'm hoping a run-of-the-mill HDD @ either 5400 or 7200rpm will be plenty. Based on my experience with an SSD, the speeds a SATA 3 drive could give me are more than enough with the hardware in my current computer.
  10. NeonSturm

NeonSturm Back Into Space

For myself, I looked for a cheap HD with 500+ GB for backups, a SDD with 128+ GB for the system files and used my older 250 GB HD for media files.

For multiple drives, a script which tracks usage of files and places them on the right disk (backup + either secondary or primary disk) can save a lot of money.
  11. TYHENDER

TYHENDER Industrial Re-revolutionist

Now please explain, how tf I missed this thread?
    BTW, nice texture pack!
    Gingy likes this.