1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GPU Generation Woes. A setback.

Discussion in 'News and Development' started by Benjamin, Jun 30, 2015.

1. Snipecoolbunny

Snipecoolbunny Back Into Space

Man its been.... 3-4 years since ive been on here. i was a sophomore and now i have a job and everything. to see that pretty much no progress has been made is very disheartening. But what can you do? im just hoping one day they can make a breakthrough and really get it going again. probly gonna be my only post for years. but letting you know im rooting for your dreams to come true
    joppiesaus likes this.
  2. Thomas988

Thomas988 Back Into Space

Ikr, it seems like this place was alive and kicking just yesterday. It's a shame SoA had to end so young, maybe one of the devs will pick it back up later in life when they have the experience and money.
  3. Shashwah

Shashwah Tester

• Tester
    We don't know that progress isn't being made but we certainly aren't seeing anything, I personally think the game was too large in scope for the first game the team made. I hope we can see some release sometime soon, I think the entire community wouldn't mind how buggy any release is, we'd just want a release, something we can touch to know that there is indeed some progress.

If any devs could weigh in on this that'd be awesome, I mean I just want to see this game turn into something awesome. The first few videos of SOA that were released made me start learning C++ and made me start making games, so it's pretty important to me to see this game released
    PsychoticLeprechaun likes this.
  4. _zombiehunter

_zombiehunter Artist & Designer

• Dev Member
    As Matthew said before, there’s been some low-level development on the design front of the game and some web stuff, but no progress on the programming front. Pretty much everything was mid-implementation when Ben stopped working on it, no one else touched the code after this. We really don’t have anything we can release, we can’t even do anything with the game in its current state ourselves.

Right now, everyone’s still busy with uni and/or job (I’m trying to get my master’s degree within the next year), so I don’t expect any significant changes over the next months … unless any programmers decide to start coding on SoA again. We don’t like the current situation, but it’s what it is …

I think the scope of the game was definitely manageable assuming any progress is being made at all. Heavy on the programming front, for sure, but I think most of you can remember what our programmers got done during active development – quite impressive if you ask me ;)

Believe me, we want this too. The fact that there are still people sticking around here after all this time just shows how awesome the SoA community is. I wish we had any new content we could show you.
    _zombiehunter, Dec 27, 2017
    Last edited by _zombiehunter; at Dec 27, 2017
  5. Arctic

Arctic Giant Robot Advocate

• Tester
    It's been five years. I remember how hyped I got about all this back in '13. I had just started secondary school back then; now I've finished High, and I'm going into University in a few months.

I won't ever let the dream die, though. Maybe, with a dash of luck, I can resurrect it myself.
  6. Arpak

Arpak Moderator - Former CM

I have in good faith the notion that when the time comes, development will pick up its pace from this crawl.

nos etiam vivere
  7. ColdFuseon

ColdFuseon Mercenary

• Contributor
    you guys are confident.
  8. PsychoticLeprechaun

PsychoticLeprechaun Designer & Web Developer

• Dev Member
    Not worth repeating what Georg has said in full, however I just wanted to make sure you all knew there's still look-in. I've just finished my university exams for the semester, however with it being my final year work has stepped up crazily. One more semester of physics then I'm (probably / probably not) done with it forever!
    PsychoticLeprechaun, Jan 24, 2018
    Last edited by PsychoticLeprechaun; at Jan 24, 2018
    Thomas988 and ColdFuseon like this.
  9. Arctic

Arctic Giant Robot Advocate

• Tester
  10. _zombiehunter

• Dev Member
    Notch is just doing what he has always done: Playing around with code. One of his experiments once turned out to be a very successful game, but when he left Mojang he made pretty clear he's never going to do anything big again. And tbf, he has so much money he doesn't need to do any work ever again :p https://twitter.com/notch/status/956296045960597504
  11. 10d22

10d22 Designer

• Dev Member
    Ye I dont really think you will see any real progress on the game unless Ben returns to it, then I think we will all slowly return if he does.
    Thomas988 and ColdFuseon like this.
  12. OfficialCoding

OfficialCoding Crash Landed

Now this might be a kinda stupid suggestion, but could a 0.1.7 version be released in the game's current form? or is it way too buggy? I'm sure people would like to play around with it even if it doesn't work.
  13. _zombiehunter

• Dev Member
    ^ I wish we could, but there really isn't much that actually works in its current state.
  14. OfficialCoding

Yeah does anyone know where Ben went?
    ColdFuseon likes this.
  15. Cristian Zaloj

Cristian Zaloj Game Programmer

• Dev Member
    Yeah, we just need to have someone back invested and programming
    ColdFuseon likes this.
  16. OfficialCoding

Two things I'm wondering: 1) Are there any coders other than Ben, and 2) Could like a video or something like that be put up just to let everyone know what is going on?
    ColdFuseon likes this.
  17. Cristian Zaloj

Cristian Zaloj Game Programmer

• Dev Member
    Yeah,

1) I'm one of the coders that has worked on a large enough portion of the code to be able to keep going on with it.
    2) We don't really even have time to put up a video.
    ColdFuseon likes this.
  18. OfficialCoding

Cool. Can anything be done on the code with Ben gone? What I mean is can enough stuff be done to do a release?
  19. 10d22

10d22 Designer

• Dev Member
    We have 2 programmers that is capable to progress the game @Cristian Zaloj and @Benjamin both of which landed great jobs one working on Guild Wars 2 and another currently at Snapchat.

Neither of our programmers went AVOL, they graduated university and landed really good jobs which lead to them working on other things than SoA. We can still contact these people and if a big magic money bag came along to fund the project we could probably restart production, Sure Cristian and Ben could technically work on it in their free time, but they are working full time, so cant really expect them to do that.

But who knows, maybe one day Ben gets tired of designing and building GW2 raids and dungeons, and Cristian tired of Snapchat filters.
    ColdFuseon and _zombiehunter like this.
  20. Dysche

Dysche Intern Programmer

• Dev Member
    Not sure if anyone remembers me, but I personally have the time and would love to continue to work on this. I just need to find a stable source of income in the meantime. (Probably a part-time job or such.) And probably catch up a bit on my C++, although that wouldn't be too much of an issue for me. It'd be really sad to see this project go to waste.
    Last edited: May 10, 2018
    Dysche, May 10, 2018
    Last edited by Dysche; at May 10, 2018