1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GPU Terrain Generation Update

Discussion in 'News and Development' started by Benjamin, Apr 20, 2014.

1. Benjamin

Benjamin Lead Developer

• Dev Leader
    Benjamin, Apr 22, 2014
    Last edited by Benjamin; at Apr 22, 2014
  2. tetryds

tetryds cus tet, that's it

Yes, there is a drop.
    To keep it short and simple, trade winds cause the humidity from that region to be taken out of it, and on the equator it brings clouds up causing rain, which leaves the dry air which then is trown at the deserts.
    Cannot explain more without exponentially increasing the speech size :p
    Other than on deserts and jungles, the humidity cannot be told as following a graph like that, but noise would take care of it.
    A line to increase noise importance on the areas that it changes more would be more simple.
    I like to think that it would happen on all planets within the habitable area, because the hot air from the equator goes up, and pulls in the air from the surroundings, then spreads and "rolls" like that.
    http://www.google.de/imgres?imgurl=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/6d/Earth_Global_Circulation.jpg&imgrefurl=http://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al%C3%ADsio&h=477&w=556&tbnid=XADwm7FrGAoE-M:&zoom=1&docid=HGl9B4_XDO_jVM&ei=ab9WU_WyDYGhtAbYroCQBw&tbm=isch&iact=rc&uact=3&dur=454&page=1&start=0&ndsp=40&ved=0CG8QrQMwCA

Not that complicated to understand.
    Notice how on the spots where the air goes down there is always a desert or semi-arid.

*All equations are radians, so the 0.54 point is equivalent to 30 degrees*
    tetryds, Apr 22, 2014
    Last edited by tetryds; at Apr 22, 2014
  3. Benjamin

Benjamin Lead Developer

• Dev Leader
    So would the trade winds behave similarly on other planets, or could we possibly make the equation different for certain planets? It seems like it would have a lot to do with the rotation speed of the planet.
  4. tetryds

If you want new equations for other planets I could do that, but what the planet rotation and tilt interferes the most is on the tropical peaks, not so much on equator nor poles.
    For a normal (earth-ish) planet, those equations should work well.
    For planets that stand out of the "habitable zone" orbit the relative humidity takes some extreme levels.
    Either too high (slightly closer than the habitable zone), or too low (too close like Venus, or too far like Mars), but for example on Mars it varies a lot on the day/night cycle.
    So if you want to set humidity for planets within the habitable zone, you could simply vary the terms -0.25 and 3 of the humidity equation a bit.
    This is a very rough aproximation, and what is meant to be achieved by this is a nice biome distribution, the relative humidity varies locally a lot! (AKA time dependant noise that wont affect biome distribution and just makes rain)

But again, it's completelly open, if you think that some exoctic planets can have some different distribution that is okay.
    Same applies for extreme tilt levels, I can research and invent something to fit on that situation (it would be really cool to have a planet like that).
    tetryds, Apr 23, 2014
    Last edited by tetryds; at Apr 23, 2014
  5. Ishred11

Ishred11 Contributor

• Contributor
    What's the status on this?
  6. Damion Rayne

Damion Rayne Former Lead Designer

• Contributor
    Boy howdy this is looking nice boss!
  7. Benjamin

Benjamin Lead Developer

• Dev Leader
    I haven't worked on it much since I have been focusing on other things, but I am still hoping to include it in 0.2.0!
  8. Arctic

Arctic Giant Robot Advocate

• Tester
    On a (Slightly) related note, will things like humidity affect weather or will that be encompassed in a different system?
  9. tetryds

Humidity and temperature will be strongly related to weather, its harder to figure out but a noise that varies on time over the area average temperature and humidity can work (at least as a placeholder).
  10. Agarthan

Agarthan Reinvented The Wheel

Agreed this game is still way too Alpha to worry about Backwards compatibility, I wouldn't even consider that a serious issue until you are deep into the beta phase.
    joppiesaus likes this.
  11. Eviscerator

Eviscerator Industrial Re-revolutionist

I'm impressed that you'd be concerned about breaking saves this early in development. Bust them open, do what you have to do to make the game great.
  12. Arctic

• Tester
    While some people seem to have some sweet saves, the majority of people haven't made anything too epic yet. We ought to keep back versions of the game hosted on the servers for compatibility.
  13. tetryds

That happens already, we have every release version up for downloading on the download page.
  14. Arctic

• Tester
    I know, but I'm suggesting we keep all versions, including when the game becomes paid-for.
  15. tetryds

Yes I agree that allowing you to choose a version on the launcher would be good.
  16. Damion Rayne

Damion Rayne Former Lead Designer

• Contributor
    Wowsies, I really need to pay attention to these forums a lot more. This stuff looks great.
  17. joppiesaus

joppiesaus Infamous Space-Octopus

This is awesome. I haven't look at it before, but this is awesome.
    But one question: Why would you want to let the GPU calculate it instead of the CPU?
    I mean generally the CPU is mended for calculating, and the GPU for 3D stuff. So why is that?
  18. tetryds

Probably because its faster.
  19. Arctic

• Tester
    The CPU race has mostly stopped. Now it's GPUs. So I guess using the GPU would yield the most benefit, and also, I don't think the GPU gets used as much as it could be, while the CPU needs to do things like calculate physics and automata.
  20. tetryds

CPU race have not and will never stop.
    GPU is comming to do a job completelly different from the main one CPUs are designed to.