1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware geeks, what are your thoughts about this?

Discussion in 'Nerd Out Zone' started by joppiesaus, Nov 21, 2014.

1. joppiesaus

joppiesaus Infamous Space-Octopus

About the espruino pico.
    A tiny microcontroller that's a USB key that runs JavaScript!
    It's really simple, and since it's a script you can modify things really simple, on the network, via your computer...
    Yeah I don't know what to say. Just click the link!

I also figured out that my Raspberry Pi is something overrated. I have 2 of them. I only have doom installed on them.
  2. tetryds

tetryds cus tet, that's it

Well, it's not powerful at all but it's really cheap.
    These kinds of things really depend on what you are trying to do with them.
    If you found no good use for your RPis you probably won't find a good use for this since it cannot do nearly as much.
    This also requires you to do lots of things manually, which you can learn a lot with...
    but so does the RPi, so...
    I would recommend you to buy it if you will actually experiment with it and do whatever without caring about burning it down.
    tetryds, Nov 21, 2014
    Last edited by tetryds; at Nov 21, 2014
    NeonSturm and joppiesaus like this.
  3. joppiesaus

joppiesaus Infamous Space-Octopus

I agree.
    The reason I would choose this instead of a RPi is because it's easy.
    I used to use that thing during computer science class, but that didn't work out because we weren't doing anything on them.
    I do nothing with it because there's simply nothing special I can do. I do not have any electronic parts!
    We just had to purchase it, install software on it, and then do nothing with it.
    I think an RPi is harder to setup for GPIO, and I think it's not made for GPIO.
    The other thing is made for that. It consumes a whole lot less power, it's smaller, it's easier.
    And, there are packages in the kickstarter that contains electronic parts to experiment with, so that's a plus.

If I'd buy such a thing, I would buy a kit. Otherwise I won't use it. I would probably experiment stuff with it and do "useless" stuff with them.
    Like a servo, a light sensor, a battery, a pico and and a rubber. And then put it inside a cupboard or something, if it opens, shoot the elastic.

So if I want to do that I could get just some parts for my RPi, but it's not build for that kind of stuff, that's what I think.
  4. tetryds

tetryds cus tet, that's it

Then go for it.