1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I (sorta) did SPACE!

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic' started by PsychoticLeprechaun, May 9, 2017.

1. PsychoticLeprechaun

PsychoticLeprechaun Designer & Web Developer

• Dev Member
    Hey guys, I know you all want to hear things regarding development, but nothing of interest is happening right now. The server change over being about all that has happened recently. That said, I thought I would share with you my latest adventure: completing a high-altitude balloon project.

Recently, myself and a team from the Manchester Students for the Exploration and Development of Space (for which I serve as technical officer) finally launched a project that has been in the works for about a year now. We've had setbacks galore with almost everything breaking at one point or another - including the GPS/radio unit for the Raspberry Pi we used, which I was responsible for and so I felt quite bad.

We got some amazing shots, which we're slowly filtering through and running through post (we need to get rid of all the blue). But I do have one stitched but unedited shot I want to share with you. It's a panorama from near the apex of the flight and captures almost all of the UK; and best part is, it's 3840x2160 for your desktop background pleasure if you so wish! I've got my laptop and desktop both using it. :D

Thumbnail :::: HAB1.jpg

The mission was very successful in the end, and we have learned a hell of a lot regarding the various failure points of such a project. We're hoping to make it a recurring start-of-the-year project for our society to let newbies get their feet wet on a relatively well-understood problem.

My next goal: designing a lunar rover with another MANSEDS team! Also more short term get rid of a seg fault in my little learning sandbox game engine... it works perfectly on Windows but crashes in the most spectacularly undebuggable way on Linux - and I swear it is just that one bug keeping me from having it run on both.
    ColdFuseon and joppiesaus like this.