1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I went to CERN and didn't see any blackholes!

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic' started by PsychoticLeprechaun, Apr 5, 2017.

1. PsychoticLeprechaun

PsychoticLeprechaun Designer & Web Developer

• Dev Member
    I spent the last four days in Switzerland, staying at a hostel on the Meyrin site of CERN. While there I got to tour several buildings housing various experiments and accelerators. ATLAS (a general-purpose particle detector on the LHC), ISOLDE (a facility that produces radioactive ion beams for a large number of experiments), n_TOF (a facility that investigates interactions between neutrons and nuclei at energy schemes from meV to GeV) and AD (an antiproton decelerator that provides low-energy antiprotons for various experiments) being the focuses.

header.jpg

I didn't get to go underground at the ATLAS site due to ongoing repairs and upgrades and the closing of public tours. Nor did I get to visit the n_TOF cavern, due to it being super-dangerous (even the scientists have to take a large number of safety precautions when going into it). That said, I did get to see a large number of experiments and talk to a good number of the scientists working at CERN.

I took many cool pictures of the experiments (old, current and future) that I've put into an imgur album.

During the night many of the buildings are left unlocked (there's plenty of security to get onto the site in the first place, and it makes life easier for the nocturnal scientists working there!). So I of course took the opportunity to explore the offices and some of the more... technical places on the site.

The coolest part has to be when I accidentally found the corridor of offices in which Tim Berners-Lee invented the World Wide Web. I took a snap of the plaque commemorating the achievement:
    www.jpg

During one of the days, I took a trip into Geneva (it's just down the road from CERN) and explored the lake front, walking up towards the array of UN buildings. After that I visited the natural history museum in the city center with a friend who lives in Geneva - and also got a fantastic meal cooked for me by their family in the evening.

Anyhow, in conclusion: CERN is cool, Geneva is pretty, Switzerland is expensive and CERN restaraunts are somehow even more expensive than those in Geneva. Oh, and there was not a blackhole in sight!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
    PsychoticLeprechaun, Apr 5, 2017
    Last edited by PsychoticLeprechaun; at Apr 5, 2017
  2. ColdFuseon

ColdFuseon Lost in Space

• Contributor
    Awesome man! Thanks for sharing this. Hope you had fun during your trip.
  3. PsychoticLeprechaun

PsychoticLeprechaun Designer & Web Developer

• Dev Member
    Had an absolute tonne of fun! :D
    ColdFuseon likes this.