1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Implement mouse gestures

Discussion in 'Nerd Out Zone' started by NeonSturm, Jul 10, 2016.

1. NeonSturm

NeonSturm Back Into Space

Recently I thought about image-processing algorithms.

There, I found a possible solution on how to implement mouse-gestures which don't just separate horizontal and vertical movements.

What do you think about it, where does it need improvement?

1. Segmentation.
    The angle of movement on the XY-plane gradually increases or decreases. (Differential, Integral)
    Find the toggle points and create segments between them.

2. Finding cross-overs (hard segment breakers).

3. Creating the hierarchy.
    Every segment-delimiter has an angle between the next and previous segment and a distance to the previous and next delimiters.
    –––Delimiter––<segment>––Delimiter––<segment>––Delimiter–––

If the distance is low, cut segments with low-angle delimiters by merging delimiters toward the position of the one with a higher angle.
    Never cut delimiters created by cross-overs(2) - these are defining the shape.
    Never cut delimiters with a similar angle - these are siblings.

The cut segments are childs of a delimiter, this is how you create the hierarchy.
    The delimiters with a similar angle should be siblings in a hierarchy-level now.

3. Naming the shape.
    The order of delimiters and their number of child-segments is like a unique music pattern.
    Find the name/entry which is defined by a similar pattern and variations of it.

4. Pattern recognition.
    The basic idea here is to create a hierarchical database similar to the ZIP-compression's translation tables with hyper-linked entries.

Perhaps the words are not good ones - I haven't thought much about how to describe it in english.
  2. TYHENDER

TYHENDER Industrial Re-revolutionist

Well,that sounds cool,but the problem is,i`m afrad that only one who would use this gestures is programmer.They`re too complex,i`d like to go with standard gesture-menu.
  3. NeonSturm

NeonSturm Back Into Space

I posted in the "Nerd out Zone" :p

You do not have to be a programmer to use, only to make it.
    I tried to describe it in a way which is fast to understand, not just after you read hours of documentations.

Now you might think "I have to read the zip-compression doc", but it's a good read not just for this one topic.
    Or do you think "I guess I have to learn making music to understand this"? You should learn it anyway. It is not that hard once you found out that everything in mathematics, digital calculations, music and language is the very same - bats even see with sound waves which come back as "some sort of music".

–– and if you resign at understanding the basics, I have no hope that you ever learn the important things in the modern computer era.
    –– EDIT: after all a person is only as trustworthy as his operating system when it comes to digital trust.
    NeonSturm, Jul 11, 2016
    Last edited by NeonSturm; at Jul 11, 2016