1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Item Drops

Discussion in 'Feature Suggestions' started by Cristian Zaloj, Aug 17, 2014.

1. Cristian Zaloj

Cristian Zaloj Game Programmer

• Dev Member
    How would you guys want item drops to work in SoA? Do you want hovering items to be attracted to you as you approach them, items that lay on the ground hidden, items to automatically be placed in inventory? I'm curious to see what most people want.
  2. tetryds

tetryds cus tet, that's it

Items should be physical entities on the ground and you grab them with your hands (to a point, ofc).
    No autopick nor automatic area pickup.
    But don't need to overcomplicate, you just need to tell us how block droping will be.
    Blocks should be auto picked from the pda and sent to the warehouse when you press a button, like a "vacuum" in front of you, maybe.
    But items should work as mentioned above, much more immersive.
    tetryds, Aug 17, 2014
    Last edited by tetryds; at Aug 17, 2014
  3. BanjoWarrior

BanjoWarrior Reinvented The Wheel

If this is going to be a rpg you should have control over your loot. However picking up a lot of mined materials can be bothersome. One way could be that the player would click single items they want to pick up or they could hold the pick up button to enter a "vacuum cleaner mode" and then just browse everything they want. Another one is to just have everything you mine go straight to your inventory instead of falling to the ground first. I support both of these ideas.
  4. tetryds

There is a difference between items and blocks.
    Having an option on the pda to highlight the items droped and select which ones you want to pick seems great.
    Same for vacuum cleaning blocks, so you set certain blocks to be picked.
    But from the concept that all ITEMS will be physical and you carry them with you, you will never have that many to pick anyway.
    So this relies on some stuff we were not yet told, making it hard to think about good solutions.
  5. Danarkivus-2

Danarkivus-2 Back Into Space

I think it should be what BanjoWarrior said.
  6. Cristian Zaloj

• Dev Member
    I like Banjo's method the best too. As for how people view the difference between items and blocks... "block drops" are going to be treated as items. There is no reason why those 2 should be distinct in the architecture, since they both survive off the same rules and carry the same function. The only major difference between block items and other items is that blocks can later be placed into the voxel world instead of just dropped. So from what I gather so far, upon harvesting the block, block items should be treated specially by allowing them to instantly be transported to an off-site inventory before they become entities in the world, so that they do not clutter the environment. In general, items will have to picked up by hand, and if there is enough space in your physical inventory/toolbelt/etc., they can be stored there afterwards. I love the idea of a "vacuum cleaner mode" -> this will work pretty nicely with Augmented Reality.
  7. tetryds

Hell now I need to figure out how this shit could work.
    That's fine. Very practical.
    As long as you control when to pick stuff or not.
    I don't think the game will be an RPG though, I heard it will have RPG aspects, but not actually be one.
    From what I know so far.
    Oh, well, guess I don't have enough information.
    (I wouldn't like it to turn into an RPG though, it would be just one more out of the thousands out there).
    tetryds, Aug 17, 2014
  8. Danarkivus-2

I thought it would be a sandbox RPG.
  9. BanjoWarrior

BanjoWarrior Reinvented The Wheel

So if blocks mined are automatically transported into a inventory where-ever it is, what happens when you use explosives to break them?

Are the blocks transported into the inventory of the owner of the explosive or do they disappear or do they become item drops?
    BanjoWarrior, Aug 17, 2014
    Last edited by BanjoWarrior; at Aug 17, 2014
  10. Cristian Zaloj

• Dev Member
    It will be a sandbox whatever. It won't have built-in RTS elements (unless there's a mod for that), and we probably won't have any sex/nudity either. Hopefully we can get MMO in there.
  11. Danarkivus-2

oh that clears things up now thanks.
  12. Cristian Zaloj

• Dev Member
    A lot will probably be destroyed from the explosion and a few will turn into item entities. We will probably investigate using bombs similar to Nova Cataclysms in higher tech levels (seeing as the TP tech is already there).
  13. tetryds

The blocks should stay droped and you go there using your PDA vacuum to pick them.
    tetryds, Aug 17, 2014
  14. Danarkivus-2

cool.
  15. Eviscerator

Eviscerator Industrial Re-revolutionist

Probably. But there are always gonna be the people who construct giant disembodied penii. And if customizable vehicles make it in, you can be sure of it.
  16. Danarkivus-2

yea what creative game that allows building not have those annoying idiots.
  17. Arpak

Arpak Moderator - Former CM

*Snaps fingers*

Oh well, thats why there is modding support ;D
  18. SpaceHippie

SpaceHippie Reinvented The Wheel

So items won't be placeable either? No, I think this is a question as to what is the difference between items and blocks. I assume items are holdable items and equipment. But can we place those items too? I might like having an armory where all the guns are laid out on a table. In which case I don't want items to vacuum up. But dropped blocks from mining or whatever I would want to just vacuum up, or at least have a setting on the PDA to turn the pickup vacuum on/off.
  19. Cristian Zaloj

• Dev Member
    Items will be "droppable", but they will not be placeable. If you want an armory, you'll probably have to create a shelf/magnetic board out of blocks (WSO), and then you can add items to it for display.
  20. Danarkivus-2

that sounds good