1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Item Drops

Discussion in 'Feature Suggestions' started by Cristian Zaloj, Aug 17, 2014.

1. SpaceHippie

SpaceHippie Reinvented The Wheel

That'll work. I just wanted know how you were handling it.
  2. ThatOneGuy

ThatOneGuy Reinvented The Wheel

1. I don't see why items can't be entities when laid.
    2. If you're only one person, why would you have that much stuff anyway? One being can only carry so much.
  3. Cristian Zaloj

Cristian Zaloj Game Programmer

• Dev Member
    1. I don't understand your first question... items are always entities.
    2. I don't believe anyone implied carrying a lot of stuff. You will only be able to carry limited stuff, thus exists the need for dropping unnecessary items/placing them in containers.
  4. tetryds

tetryds cus tet, that's it

1- I guess he meant physics realistically sized entities.
    Like a block being a block or block particles.
    2- As long as the container behaves somewhat nicely, why not.
    Item despawning is silly, if we don't have it you could just trow them somewhere while you work on your showcases.
    Also: http://www.ahlmans.com/GUN_DISPLAY-4.jpg
    That's how I want to store my babies.
  5. Benjamin

Benjamin Lead Developer

• Dev Leader
    For the "transported to an off site location" idea, this seems like upper tier tech. When you first crash land on the planet you probably wont have matter teleportation abilities? Or should the PDA have that functionality built in? We could allow the player to mark containers in the world so that he can access them elsewhere, but that sort of makes the game too easy. Because then the player can access all of his items from anywhere in the world, and he doesn't have to ever think about intentory management since he essentially has an infinite inventory.

Additionally, if we immediately allow him to teleport any blocks he mines, there will be little risk for mining underground in non-hardcore modes since you can pretty much keep an empty inventory at all times. Not to mention there is no incentive to build minecarts. I thought it would be really cool if players could build automated minecart networks that could carry ore and supplies to and from offsite storage.
    SpaceHippie and tetryds like this.
  6. tetryds

What Ben said.
  7. Eviscerator

Eviscerator Industrial Re-revolutionist

Zimple Zolution: Energy is required to transport matters from player inventory to storage via PDA. Eff joo can only transport limited amounts of matter in time, joo vill alvays haff moor inventory on person zan in PDA. Alternatively, eff joo have timed PDA transport, player inventory vill build until PDA can accept more. In either scenario, risk iz conztant, exzepting times immediately after PDA transfers zee masses.
  8. BanjoWarrior

BanjoWarrior Reinvented The Wheel

But why is having automatic teleportation for your ores and what-not so necessary? I myself have always liked the idea of having to build infrastructure to get anything major done. (which includes teleportation if high tech)
    BanjoWarrior, Aug 18, 2014
    Last edited by BanjoWarrior; at Aug 18, 2014
  9. Eviscerator

Well, the primary obstacle I see is that we don't know how mineral generation will work exactly...or at least I haven't seen much of it in any of the streams. If it's like Minecraft where you get small bits of everything, then I understand that there's no need for PDA-travel of mined stuff.

If, however, ores will be present in veins similar to Planet Explorers? Then, starting out at least, you'll be limited to either how much you can carry, which won't be much at all if capacity is to be somewhat realistic. And the distance/terrain may preclude any sort of primitive transport like a travois or sledge. It'd make sense for the PDA to be able to instantly transmit or teleport moderate amounts of mined material at first, either a limit to how much could be moved at a time, or a cooldown timer for how often it could be used due to needing to recharge.

But I'm just starting to repeat myself. The deal is, I think it'd be useful if mineral deposits are dispersed, and it doesn't have to be the most efficient way to transport what you mine, just a useful starting point.
  10. Sir_Moodz

Sir_Moodz Lord of Andromeda

• Contributor
    automatic pickup, but no floating objects.
  11. tetryds

I don't like automatic pickup.
    At least a button to activate it, if it's gonna happen.
    Cristian Zaloj likes this.
  12. ThatOneGuy

ThatOneGuy Reinvented The Wheel

Yeah I meant physical entities.

What ben said also.

I'd think it should be very hard to get anything teleported, much less a moderate sized rock. Or at least it's more practical to use more conventional means of transportation to move rock and ores, of course until later tech.

^I also don't like auto pick up, I think the player should have to grab the item, then carry it around, either with their hands or in the packs.
  13. Eviscerator

So...as far as item drops go, will the bass be a placeable entity, or just droppable?
  14. Cristian Zaloj

• Dev Member
    Both and we can possibly have an Easter Egg for when you drop the bass. But ofc, it won't activate by simply dropping a bass. That would be too simple :p.
    Eviscerator likes this.
  15. Benjamin

Benjamin Lead Developer

• Dev Leader
    Auto pickup could easily be a toggleable option, then everyone is happy :D
    tetryds and Cristian Zaloj like this.
  16. Cristian Zaloj

• Dev Member
    I was about to mention that too.
  17. Cristian Zaloj

• Dev Member
    We plan on making it so that hardcore players enjoy the most hardcore experiences, BUT for those that don't want to spend days grinding away at this game, there will be more options available to ease the gameplay experience.
  18. tetryds

I want to have to make mine complexes with minecarts, explosives and a lot of low salary workers.
    If you let me I will be happy :)
  19. Cristian Zaloj

• Dev Member
    I am very sorry, but it is our company policy to strictly not outsource jobs to foreign entities for the sake of the profit made by underpaid individuals (Addendum 11:4-5). This policy applies to both the physical and virtual worlds under which jurisdiction is not held by the United States of America or the European Union. As per the fact that Andromeda is a virtual world that has not yet undergone human occupation, we CANNOT provide you with low salary workers. However, YOU may enslave the indigenous people to your own discretion knowing that Regrowth Studios and its affiliates cannot protect you from the consequential risks of enslavement. These risks include, but are not limited to: loss of personnel due to death, loss of personnel due to dissatisfaction, death by revolt, and death through the process of getting your bowels removed and force-fed to you. Regrowth Studios DOES NOT wish you the best of luck on your endeavors.
    Cristian Zaloj, Aug 19, 2014
    Last edited by Cristian Zaloj; at Aug 19, 2014
  20. tetryds

So I'm fine to enslave as long as instead of paying little I pay nothing?
    Sounds fair.