1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Items when started list

Discussion in 'Feature Suggestions' started by OrionLT, Jul 21, 2014.

1. OrionLT

OrionLT Reinvented The Wheel

Hello!
    When We'll start the survival and crash-land, we'll need some things to survive. So I made a list what I think what we'll have at start:
    • "Space food" such as conserves or whatever people eat in space.
    • Seeds.
    • Distilled water.
    • Easy white jacket.
    • Zinc leggings.
    • Astronaut gloves (a part of astronaut scafander(Or whatever it's called).)
    • A small plastic crate.
    • A big plastic crate.
    • Hermetic bag.
    • Compass.
    • Binoclaurs.
    • 2 AA bateries.
    • Flashlight.
    • 50 cm wire.
    Say what do you think about it. Feel free to post your ideas.
  2. Eviscerator

Eviscerator Industrial Re-revolutionist

Torn between suggesting a survival knife as a starting tool, or expecting the player to grab sticks and rocks from the environment and literally begin from the stone age.
  3. OrionLT

Oh really! I forgot that.
  4. Eviscerator

The deal about this, for me is, that we don't have full details on how you end up on Aldrin.

I mean, consider you make it down in your escape pod, then the computer inside starts beeping and warbling, warning that wreckage is inbound. You've got seconds to get out of the pod and run before it's smashed by a chunk of your former ship.

Bam. You just went from having tools, food, and initial shelter, to having scrap metal and just your bare hands to try and work it with.
    irockalego likes this.
  5. Arctic

Arctic Giant Robot Advocate

• Tester
    I would think that the escape pod would have something resembling real astronaut survival kits.
  6. Eviscerator

Considering astronauts in our program expect rescue in a matter of hours, they don't really have much beyond a few days of food and possibly a life-raft. Oh, the Russians also had a shotgun for wolves, I think. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TP-82
  7. Benjamin

Benjamin Lead Developer

• Dev Leader

This is really great! These are all things that could be found in an escape ship. I think the ship should also include a multitool with attached knife, various first aid supplies, a flare gun, string, and duct tape. I don't think the ship would have seeds, since they would in all probability not be able to grow in alien soil. That would be something that is stored on a cargo ship.

The PDA will have a built in compass, so I don't think that is necessary. I am sure they won't be using AA batteries in the future, so maybe instead its some future batteries pack that lasts really long and are rechargeable.

Edit: And a firearm such as a shotgun does make sense, since the colony ship is aware that there are hostile creatures on the planet.
    Benjamin, Jul 23, 2014
    Last edited by Benjamin; at Jul 23, 2014
    OrionLT likes this.
  8. Arctic

• Tester
    Maybe we could have it so that the PDA runs itself but has some other functions it needs external batteries for?
  9. tetryds

tetryds cus tet, that's it

It could have "insignificant" usage stuff but still run other things that require bigger energy and slowly recharge via body heat and motion.
  10. gutza1

gutza1 Kerbal Overlord

Actually I was thinking that your starting equipment should be more high-tech than the current item list.
    [RAGE]
    I mean, seriously, humanity has discovered how to travel to OTHER STARS and we still haven't figured out how to move beyond gunpowder, or to make a better battery? Being in "Modern Stasis" for so many technological paths is just stupid, especially if the game takes place in the year 3000 like Anthony said in the interview.
    [/RAGE]
    Anyway, some items that would be on my list:
    Food-pills
    Water
    A Backpack
    The PDA(duh)
    A Railgun-pistol
    10 Nano-tube batteries (Holds way more than modern day batteries)

This is not nearly complete, but it's an idea on what should be included in the starting items list.
  11. Eviscerator

No, the general idea is that the poor sod had to escape a ship in trouble, and only has what is in the escape pod. IE, emergency survival supplies, not colonizing equipment. Or at least that's the theory. We'll be able to figure it out once we have a more solid grasp on the backstory of the player character.
  12. tetryds

You won't be left much after your dropship is left in pieces, all that high tech would be scrap.
    But having super awesome batteries won't make your body magically produce more heat to recharge them faster (about PDA thing).
  13. Eviscerator

I'd even go so far as to say starting with a railgun may be overpowered. They have practically no moving parts to wear out, and can be supplied with just iron for rounds and a means to generate electricity.

Which is where things get odd, and forgive me if I derail a bit, but railguns, gaussguns, coilguns, whatever, could arguably be simpler to develop than standard firearms. It's just that the concept came along later than gunpowder in our history. SoA offers the potential for...I guess call it rational anachronism? Pragmatic anachronism? Anyhow, modern and future concepts applied to ancient technological manufacturing capabilities.

...I wonder if a steam-powered air-cushion vehicle would be worth the trouble...?
    Eviscerator, Jul 25, 2014
    Last edited by Eviscerator; at Jul 25, 2014
    PsychoticLeprechaun likes this.
  14. OrionLT

I think that when player crash-lands on a planet, he will gain some modern tools as Eviscerator said, shotgun. But player needs to use them very carefully because they are temporary. Some items may be broken.
    I don't say anything about shotguns but maybe a signal rocket will be available to freak out the big carnivores. But these items will spawn only 2-3. That's why player needs to carefuly use modern items. Also flashlight will be a tiny help because it'll work only ten minutes.

That will be a temporary help. But that will be if player selects easy-normal difficulty mode.

Later the player will return to stone age when he invents some basic stuff such as a spear and axe and shovel and else.
  15. Arctic

• Tester
    Fairly sure that the main reason railguns aren't very widely used is specifically because the barrel needs replacing after each shot.
    But as for "Pragmatic Anachronism", I expect that railguns, coilguns, laser-based weaponry, as well as other kinds of gunpower-less weapons.
    Why would the flashlight only work ten minutes? I don't think that long-lasting portable lights on easier difficulties would be particularly overpowered. Plus, you'd only get one.
    Signal rocket to scare off predators sounds like a good idea.
  16. tetryds

Arctic, don't say "laser-based weaponary", please.

Some of those things seem simpler to start with, and can be.
    But most of them have very complex solutions, which would not be acheived by ancient technologies.
    Just to start with railgun issues, it generates a massive ammount of heat, and requires another massive ammount of energy.
    So, if you would start with a railgun, and it used your body heat to recharge, you would take days to be able to use it again (like a skill, basically).
    There are other issues, but those two are the most important, but no they don't need their barrel to be replaced after each shot, only on lab tests that won't expend enough for a barrel that can keep up.
    Using a shotgun and/or a pistol seems very fine for me, chemical energy is super safe, easy to handle and reliable.
    It doesn't need to have the same gunpowder as we use, and that is a balancing factor that can be used at will.

Starting with broken items with limited use seems fine for me, it's usually better to fix things like a flashlight, replace its batteries or just stick a manual dynamo to it than "reinvent the led", at first.
    tetryds, Jul 25, 2014
    Last edited by tetryds; at Jul 25, 2014
  17. Arctic

• Tester
    All I'm saying is that they could be options. And as for laser-based weaponry... Why not? Give a laser a grip and stock and handguard, fit a few D-cells on and hey presto, laser gun. You said yourself that lasers were perfectly viable weapons. Calling laser guns "Laser-Based Weaponry" would be just like calling guns "Gunpowder-based weaponry".
    I'm also not saying that you should start with a railgun, only that it would wear out very quickly due to the extreme heat produced. As for energy, I'm sure it could be rechargeable.
    The barrel-needs-replacing thing is a serious issue with modern railguns. Of course, it would probably be fixed by the year 3000.
    And yes, guns are a very good solution. Pow pow, and all that. But there is really nothing wrong with sci-fi weapons, even those with no explainable mechanism.
  18. Eviscerator

Naw, that's untrue. The USNavy has a prototype railgun that works fine.
  19. tetryds

Hey Arctic, don't tl;dr my posts if you comment about them.
    As Evi said, we have railguns.
    Ships are big enough to carry nuclear reactors, and have all the water you would ever need available for cooling the railgun.
    And have crew support, stability and at our exact tech point sound like the best implementation of such weapons.
    What any portable device may not have to be able to keep up with a rail gun is a good enough energy source.
    Or at least one that would survive a crashland, or even be on a droppod (or be there to start with, balancing purposes).
    You underestimate chemical power, but forget that if they were that bad we would not be running everything based on it (from batteries to rockets).

About the laser gun: http://www.seedofandromeda.com/community/threads/scientifically-accurate-sci-fi.280/
    And: "don't call something a pseudo-scientific name just because you don't know how it would actually work" - tetryds

Yes you can use lasers as weapons, but not quite like that.
    It would deffinitelly not be a pistol with a laser on it, and no it would not have any noticeable recoil.
    In fact, if you could supply enough energy for something to have a laser that can cause any damage, and be portable, you would have a pretty superoverpowered gun (no noise, no recoil, no trace, no reloading, just to name a few).

I see portable rail guns being much more feasible and closer to us than what a laser weapon would be.
    And for gameplay purposes, I'm heavily against them behaving like that, they should be more what a railgun is for our current tech.
    On the other hand, yes you could possibly make a plasma cannon, it would act quite like a shotgun (low range, uber damage).
    tetryds, Jul 25, 2014
    Last edited by tetryds; at Jul 25, 2014
  20. Eviscerator

So..wait..would a hand-held chemical laser be chemical-powered, or a laser weapon?