1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I've created a WineHQ AppDB page for Seed of Andromeda!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by aaronfranke, Mar 13, 2017.

1. aaronfranke

aaronfranke Crash Landed

https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=18137

For anyone wanting to play the Seed of Andromeda previews on Mac/Linux/BSD.

Note that even if the team makes a port for Linux and Mac (which they probably will from what I can tell), this is still a relevant resource because there will always be that one guy running BSD :p (although I personally won't be testing on BSD)

For SOA Pre-Alpha v0.1.6, on a fairly modern version of Wine it will work with the vcredist installed. With Wine 2.3 and higher you don't even need that, you can just launch SOA.exe and it will work out of the box with no tweaking or installing!

For SOA Pre-Alpha v0.2-1.1b, I believe it can't run at all. The stack trace starts with mentions of "MSVCRT__fileno+0x4f() in msvcr120". I have tried running with different implementations of these libraries yet I could not get it to run at all. I assume that this version of SOA is trying to access a library function which is not yet implemented in Wine.

For the SOA team: When developing, try to stick with libraries that are well-supported on this list: https://www.winehq.org/winapi_stats (msvcr120 is only 61% implemented). Not only does that help with running the game in Wine, it also means that you'll be using libraries which are documented and understood well enough to have an open-source re-write, which has code that you can look at if you ever wanted to know how these functions work.
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
    aaronfranke, Mar 13, 2017
    Last edited by aaronfranke; at Mar 13, 2017
  2. aaronfranke

aaronfranke Crash Landed

3. aaronfranke

aaronfranke Crash Landed

Hooray, the bug has been fixed! SOA 0.2 now runs perfectly on Wine!