1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Julien - June 21 2015

Discussion in 'Developer Progress Reports' started by Julien, Jun 21, 2015.

1. Julien

Julien Programmer

• Dev Member
    Hello everyone!

I worked on a new intro for Vorb, the engine Seed of Androme uses. I wasn't quite happy with the intro we had before, so I came up with this:

Obviously it has to fade out of and into blackness, but I like the way it looks now.
    Any thoughts?

EDIT: New version based on feedback:

Last edited: Jun 21, 2015
    Julien, Jun 21, 2015
    Last edited by Julien; at Jun 21, 2015
  2. Thomas988

Thomas988 Back Into Space

Oooo, shiny! My only complaint is that it may be a bit lengthy for the game, and maybe the background's shade of blue could be a smidge darker, but besides that everything looks amazing! :D
    ColdFuseon likes this.
  3. Xion

Xion Industrial Re-revolutionist

Intros should be around 5 seconds long and convey a message almost instantly. Most people skip them anyways, so they're only displayed for, often times, fractions of a second.

I'd say slow the background animation down, lower(or remove) the delay of the logo animation, and have it transition in and out a little quicker.

Personally, I think the center of the background should be in focus, while gradually getting out of focus towards the edges of the screen.

I think the animations are great regardless. :)
    NeonSturm, ColdFuseon and Thomas988 like this.
  4. Xion

Xion Industrial Re-revolutionist

You could combine Thomas and I's ideas and create a kind of vignette so the logo has more of the focus.
    Thomas988 and ColdFuseon like this.
  5. Danarkivus-2

Danarkivus-2 Back Into Space

it looks amazing
    ColdFuseon likes this.
  6. Gingy

Gingy Back Into Space

I'm honestly not sure which one I like better.
    ColdFuseon likes this.
  7. Julien

Julien Programmer

• Dev Member
    Okay, so I read your suggestions, here's what it looks like now:

Oh, and, I don't worry too much about skipping, because you can only skip the intros once the game has finished loading.
    Con No 1, Gingy and ColdFuseon like this.
  8. Arctic

Arctic Giant Robot Advocate

• Tester
    I'm not really a fan. I'll explain why:
    I feel that the font used for the text is quite "busy". There's a lot going on. Pairing that with the VERY busy background? Looks very tacky, in my opinion. If you look at a great many intro logos, there's one "highlight" colour, which is very bright, and a few "background" colours used for the unimportant bits. I think the main issue here is that it is the background that is the high-saturation colour and the main part that is the dull colour. Most of it should be quite dull - desaturated colours - with important details highlighted. The "odd one out" should be a very different colour to the rest of it and have a very clear contrast.

Of course, if someone who has studied graphic design can correct me or elaborate on this, feel free, but I just feel that this logo is far too tacky and looks quire reminiscent, to me, of a kid booting up PowerPoint and combining the "coolest" background and font.
    Gradiants, I am not a fan of. This is for the above mentioned reason. Very tacky-looking.

Have you considered also maybe just having a static image fade in? Animation like this does take a bit of effort to perfect.

This is just my honest critique. I say this only because I want the game to be better.
    ColdFuseon likes this.
  9. joppiesaus

joppiesaus Infamous Space-Octopus

How about this?
    ColdFuseon likes this.
  10. Arctic

• Tester
    I think it looks a lot nicer.
  11. joppiesaus

joppiesaus Infamous Space-Octopus

So do I.
    I like this one too, but just not as a splash screen.
    ColdFuseon likes this.
  12. Thomas988

Thomas988 Back Into Space

Same, but a little animation with the background would be nice.

Also, instead of "Studios" just sliding in, what if it could be there at the start, then gets cut off, then grows back, hence "Regrowth Studios." That sounds really tricky to make though, so I'm just putting the idea out there.
    Thomas988, Jun 21, 2015
    Last edited by Thomas988; at Jun 21, 2015
    ColdFuseon likes this.
  13. NeonSturm

NeonSturm Back Into Space

The background directly behind the text is too busy. Perhaps it would look better if you would see the bg animation through milk-glass or a similar smoothing algorithm.
    White background, then the next scene with a black one?
    * To me, it looks like either few effort is put into the animation or peoples making it didn't know what else to do (please remember: this is a personal opinion)

Do you not want something unique which peoples can remember, instead of something that looks like 10 minutes power-point?
    ___
    For the engine logo, you could use "Tetris with textured blocks" to build the text "VORB".
    For the studio's logo, you could fade-in text+background, let the text slide to top and show a picture or cartoon-style drawing of the dev-team.

This makes it more personal and less commercial, which seems to be preferable for team like SoA's
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2015
    NeonSturm, Jun 21, 2015
    Last edited by NeonSturm; at Jun 21, 2015
    ColdFuseon and joppiesaus like this.
  14. tetryds

tetryds cus tet, that's it

The second one looks a lot better, just need minor timing tweaks.
    If you want to try something different, this effect could move from the left to the right or something like that.
    Or it could collapse quickly, you could tweak it so it looks like it's slowly expanding then suddenly crunches.

Ah, and audio for sure, something like a "woosh" I would say.
    The sound has a big impact on it, so there is no way to judge anything without it.
    ColdFuseon and Gingy like this.
  15. Julien

Julien Programmer

• Dev Member
    I came up with a new intro. This time, "Vorb" has screen time without anything distracting in the background. I'd like to keep lots of lights without blurring though, I think it looks really cool, and also stands for Vorbs complexity I guess. As I said already, I'm not the biggest fan of the old intro, so I'd prefer to keep working on this one. But it being busy seemed to be the biggest complain, so please tell me what you think of this:

EDIT: Exactly five seconds! Hurray!
    Julien, Jun 21, 2015
    Last edited by Julien; at Jun 21, 2015
    NeonSturm, ColdFuseon and Con No 1 like this.
  16. Arctic

• Tester
    OK, that's pretty cool. My only issue is that the cloud still doesn't really look right. I think perhaps you should make it a little less defined and slow it down.
    ColdFuseon likes this.
  17. Julien

Julien Programmer

• Dev Member
    What exactly do you mean with less defined? Remember that slowing it down causes in a longer intro. Xion told me it should be about 5 seconds, and that's what it is right now.
    ColdFuseon likes this.
  18. Arctic

• Tester
    As in, the movement of the cloud. How fast the cloud "Jitters", as it were. Less defined means that you should make the cloud fuzzier.
    ColdFuseon likes this.
  19. tetryds

tetryds cus tet, that's it

Yes, that is much better.
    Now don't make the cloud show up at a fixed place, make it show up at about where the V is, but moving right.
    And don't make it fade creating a straight line, make it a bit less defined.

But it's getting a lot better.
  20. Abominas

Abominas Crash Landed

This is my spin on the idea. I would make all the floating lights static. This would both add more depth to the image and take away some of the distraction. The actual animation would go like this: First, I would display a whole field of the floating lights, instead of a ball that contains some. Then I would have them all sweep to the side and towards the camera, as if the camera is going through a star field. Next, the camera would end up at "Vorb," as the lights would fade away to black. Finally "Vorb" itself would fade.