1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Little texture update (ores, minerals, etc.)

Discussion in 'Texture Contributions' started by _zombiehunter, Feb 22, 2014.

1. _zombiehunter

_zombiehunter Artist & Designer

• Dev Member
    Added the missing ore blocks for tin, lead, titanium, uranium and tungsten and created textures for them. Don't know if you like it this way, but I also tried to clean up the other extraterrestrial mineral stuff (too much crazy names, kept 3 of the better ones and created proper textures for them). Full changelog:

- Replaced "Chroallon" with Rutile (titanium ore)
    - Replaced "Morphium" with Cassiterite (tin ore)
    - Replaced "Oxygenium" with Galena (lead ore)
    - Replaced "Sunanite" with Pitchblende (uranium ore)
    - Replaced "Camonite" with Scheelite (tungsten ore)
    - Merged "Blue Crystal Block" and Submarium
    - Added a proper texture for Seamorphite
    - Added a proper texture for Thornmite
    - Added better textures for diamond, ruby and sapphire blocks
    - Replaced the text "VAGEXCO EXPLOSIV ALBANIA" on the ANFO texture with "DANGER"

DOWNLOAD (9.6 MB, Mediafire)

Some world generation stuff left to do for Ben:
    - Except Gold, Silver and Platinum, metal blocks shouldn't generate naturally
    - If needed, balancing the amount of generated ore and mineral blocks:
    > Magnetite and Bauxite should be common ores
    > Malachite, Rutile, Cassiterite and Galena not so common
    > Pitchblende and Scheelite should be rare
    > Diamonds, Emeralds, Rubies and Sapphires should be very rare, same for the noble metals Gold, Silver and Platinum and the exotic minerals Submarium, Seamorphite and Thornmite

I hope you like the changes :rolleyes:
  2. Benjamin

Benjamin Lead Developer

• Dev Leader
    Nice! I will add it to the game and show it in tonight's video!
  3. _zombiehunter

• Dev Member
  4. professor Chemical

professor Chemical Crash Landed

Gems should only spawn in igneus rock formations
  5. Sir_Moodz

Sir_Moodz Lord of Andromeda

• Contributor
    Right now ores don't really fit with the rock textures, I think its best to only spawn certain ores in certain rock types, and then it is possible to make the ore textures with those rock types.
  6. _zombiehunter

• Dev Member
    Having certain ores in certain rock types isn't a bad idea (for example making Uranium more common in Granite), but making the ore distribution biome- and height-dependent would be much easier (I think Ben already mentioned this somewhere). You would be able to find certain ores more often in some biomes (forming large deposits) or at certain depths. The ore textures should always be independent of surrounding materials, every naturally generated material should have its own, unique appearance. If you find a Rutile or Magnetite deposit in Limestone or Sandstone, they still look like normal Rutile or Magnetite. Keeping different stone, ore and mineral types independent of each other allows more flexibility and modability, keep in mind that there will be different planets with completely different properties. Just because you find some ores more common in certain rock types on earth, this hasn't to be the same on other planets. You could even have whole planets covered with coal or magnetite or something like that.
  7. Sir_Moodz

• Contributor
    Do you think it is possible to automatically create an ore texture for the correct rock type, because if we have many planets each with its own rock types, you will need many different textures. maybe you can make the ore texture transparent, like how plants are, and paste that automatically on the rock textures when you load the game.
  8. tetryds

tetryds cus tet, that's it

I talked to him and he said that its worth to do it by hand.
    So several block types for the same ore.
    The drops are particles so nothing to worry about that.
  9. _zombiehunter

• Dev Member
    Both methods are possible and doable, the one mentioned by tetryds allows faster loading times and better performance. I just don't think all this is necessary at all. You both want ores to look more or less like in Minecraft, or not? Having a stone texture showing ore inclusions.
    The blocks in Minecraft are larger and the ore deposits are very small, so this method fits the game very well. In Seed of Andromeda you have smaller blocks and there will very likely be large ore deposits, in this case it looks better to have solid, pure ore blocks between the rock layers, everything else would just look strange.

Little comparison here:
    How ores work in Minecraft:
    [​IMG]
    Small deposits, large blocks, the repeating inclusion pattern of the ore textures fit the general bad graphics.

Your suggestion:
    [​IMG]
    Ore textures fitting the surrounding rock layers, but showing repeating ore inclusion patterns as well. Doesn't look good with 256x256 textures on large ore deposits and makes things unnecessary complicated.

How it works now:
    [​IMG]
    Deposits of pure ore blocks forming larger inclusions in the rock layers. Simple, more realistic and very flexible. You could create whole mountains made of Bauxite or Magnetite or cover a large area with them and they still wouldn't look that bad.
  10. Sir_Moodz

• Contributor
    Yes, if they spawn in large volumes it will not look bad, they will be like a new rock layer, and also realistic, because most ores are not found in tiny amounts, always huge veins.
  11. PsychoticLeprechaun

PsychoticLeprechaun Designer & Web Developer

• Dev Member
    Such high contrast from metallic to rocky may look weird - one slightly work-intensive solution may be to have different textures for a few different concentrations of metal to allow the change to be more gradual. This could work with the ore table I suggested for distribution.
  12. Benjamin

Benjamin Lead Developer

• Dev Leader
    I personally like the solid ores. They are not solid metal, they are ore. They are just colored in such a way that makes them look like a new rock layer, which is okay in my book. Also the idea of taking the ore texture and placing it on the surrounding rock texture has some complicated issues that should best be avoided. For instance, if we have 50 ores and 50 rock types, then we have 2500 combinations of rock and ore. If we allow the number of rocks and ores to be endless, then there is no upper bound. So we cant simply store combination ore blocks using a new block ID. We would have to use some of our 6 leftover bits of blockdata for the ores. And even with all 6 of those bits, that caps us 64 ores :/.

I have had ideas on how to store multiple blocks in a single space. It would use a bit more memory and complicate the chunk structure a little, but would be possible. I was going to use this method so that we could have water that flows through fences and such. Essentially each new block that exists inside another block (depending on the block) i.e. Fences, ores, doors, ect, would not be stored in the blockdata. A bit in the blockdata would be set to indicate that special blocks exist there, and the actual block would be stored in a separate lookup table. There would be additional memory overhead and lookup overhead but I was planning on using it only for certain cases such as fences.

It would be much simpler to just stick with solid ores. It works in terraria, and their block scale is the same as ours I think. Player is 4 blocks tall.
  13. _zombiehunter

• Dev Member
    The only naturally generated materials that really have very high contrast to surrounding rock layers are so valuable that you most likely instantly mine them on sight (gold, silver, platinum, diamonds, ruby, ...). They don't form large veins and are very rare, so an eye-catching appearance even helps to find them.

I think all blocks forming the naturally generated landscape should basically be solid single-material blocks with specific properties and well-defined uses. You can make more complex stuff after you mine them and use them for crafting, melting, roasting, etc.
  14. Arctic

Arctic Giant Robot Advocate

• Tester
    A revolutionary feature unseen before. Seriously, I can't believe nobody's made this happen before.