1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Matthew - July 1 2016

Discussion in 'Developer Progress Reports' started by PsychoticLeprechaun, Jul 1, 2016.

1. PsychoticLeprechaun

PsychoticLeprechaun Designer & Web Developer

• Dev Member
    Hey guys! Long time no report.

Since finishing my exams I've been working on a few things, and I thought at this point I'd update you all with that progress, even if it is a tad less showy than I'd like. I've worked on a wide range of things, from some design work on the new game, to web development, all the way to getting into Vorb programming work.

First thing I did was start work on a new database scheme for the in-development back-end of what will power authentication and various more fun services both in and out of game. The old work I was doing was neat, but it was kinda limited and would, any time we would take a forum or website down for maintenance, cause everything else to go down too.

After that we had our first meeting for summer and, from the conclusion of working on a smaller game, worked with Ben, Seb and Cristian to generate a first iteration design document. In addition to that, rather exciting work, I worked with Seb on some equally exciting design elements for SoA. Not going to go into details on either just yet because that's more appropriate for future blog posts/when we actually have a chance to see some specific details in-game - we don't want to promise anything without something to show for it.

Since then, I finalised the database scheme for the authentication component of the web services and began getting stuck in with writing the code. It's definitely the simplest component, so the speed I get it done will likely be far quicker than that of any other component. Some details though; the services are going to be very well defined segmentation of API and public interfaces so that anyone can, with appropriate privileges, perform actions from any interface they like - e.g. a community website could hook into various data points and even the authentication. I'll release more information in a blog post much further down the road for those that can take advantage of it or are just interested.

I've also gotten my hands dirty inside Vorb, our game engine, working on UI. Our UI system is very rudimentary as it is, but certainly even now a long way from where it was a week or two ago. In that time I've implemented several features that are common in web development (my approach to UI is very web-centric given my background) regarding relative positioning/sizing and directional clipping. I've also fixed a variety of bugs that we hadn't noticed in the UI system up 'til now. The UI system is still going in the same general direction as has (probably) been discussed before: the hierarchical form-widget structure with both imperative and declarative UI control (e.g. basic styling in YAML, and complex dynamic styling/effects in LUA/C++). Again, we'll go into more detail with specifics once the system is in a more final state, but progress is being made!

Not the most exciting, but here's the most showy I could do:
    ss (2016-06-29 at 02.55.48).png - Shows relative sizing of widgets relative to form size (this form was fit to the window).
    ss (2016-07-01 at 10.57.44).png - Shows relative positioning of the yellow widget using the "absolute" concept in CSS. (It positions relative to its second ancestor which was positioned using something similar to the "relative" concept in CSS).
    ss (2016-07-01 at 10.54.32).png - Shows clipping the yellow widget from above left-ways to its second ancestor and vertically to its direct parent.

I may not update every week - this set of updates certainly came from more than one! - but I will try to show my progress each time it becomes enough to be worth a full post.

Hope this has been interesting! :D
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2016
    PsychoticLeprechaun, Jul 1, 2016
    Last edited by PsychoticLeprechaun; at Jul 2, 2016
    NeonSturm, Gingy, joppiesaus and 2 others like this.
  2. NeonSturm

NeonSturm Back Into Space

All that CSS is nice, but sometimes I miss the performance of text-based or early browers.
    > Hierarchical positioning of "light" elements is nice too - like a table with rows and columns, but infinite depth of vertical/horizontal divisions.
    > And a simple-flexible sizing with [min, optimal, max] size along siblings.
    > With css that applies for the whole element based on a cell's classes.
    Sure, it looks a bit ancient - but it is possible to make a whole UI with nothing else a lot faster and more reliable to stay consistent than with all that modern complexity.

if it's going to be a custom format or with custom extensions, I'd like to use <tag #id .class attr="" ….> because it is more consistent with css, faster and easier to read once you know css.
    The attributes are mostly deprecated since css (js should add classes rather than modify attributes where possible for user-css compatibility). But if I understand it correctly, it will have LUA instead of JS.

Anyway, nicely done @Psychotic Leprechaun
  3. PsychoticLeprechaun

PsychoticLeprechaun Designer & Web Developer

• Dev Member
    Thanks! On the note of the declarative side of things, it's yet to be done, but the first implementation will be in YAML for convenience (we already have a solid YAML parser in the engine). We'll see if demand is great enough/time allows for other implementations. We want it to be possible to entirely define a UI form and its behavior in LUA and C++, but limitations are of course inevitable on the YAML side of things.

Also, bear in mind that CSS is just inspiration in terms of concepts for UI features. Ultimately the implementation is more specific to game UI, as we have much greater ease of controlling screen dimensions and also can do some things better (like vertical alignment). We do have something like what you mentioned already too, with regards to setting minimum and maximum sizes for widgets - with a target dimension if it lies between the two.
    NeonSturm likes this.
  4. TYHENDER

TYHENDER Industrial Re-revolutionist

You guys are doing cool things,why don`t i do them. Oh right,instead of working i`m writing this post right now.
    NeonSturm likes this.
  5. NeonSturm

NeonSturm Back Into Space

@TYHENDER
    They are cool, but don't get over-excited.
    … every time I think about something, someone else has already a patent on it, made a software on it or is just waiting to hijack my plans with a startup that was hidden from my sight until I tell peoples about my awesome new idea.
    In a village with 150 peoples, your idea is unique. But in the big world, you have to win a lottery to get a really unique idea. Especially when you had internet for 5 years and others played with the thought for 15+ years.

Do you want to be awesome too? Go here and wake up all the lazy peoples who don't care: https://www.seedofandromeda.com/com...gorithm-which-resists-quantum-computers.1075/