1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Matthew Marshall - Designer & Web Developer

Discussion in 'Meet the Devs' started by PsychoticLeprechaun, Feb 17, 2014.

1. PsychoticLeprechaun

PsychoticLeprechaun Designer & Web Developer

• Dev Member
    Hey guys,

I'm Matt, designer and web developer for Seed of Andromeda. Between work on the website, designing aspects of SoA (currently working on the UI as of latest edit) and keeping on top of work for uni, I don't have much time to do anything else. Though when I do get that extra time, I spend it either playing games or watching TV!

Games-wise, you will catch me playing games like Dungeon Keeper, Civilisation 5 and Skyrim when I get the chance, so if any of you want a big game on Civ, you can quite likely count on me being willing to join!

If you have any questions concerning the site's future, or suggestions you can twist into question form, then I will be able to answer!
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2014
    PsychoticLeprechaun, Feb 17, 2014
    Last edited by PsychoticLeprechaun; at Sep 3, 2014
    ColdFuseon and tetryds like this.
  2. skytoucher

skytoucher Crash Landed

like the way the site is set up!!!
    ColdFuseon likes this.
  3. PsychoticLeprechaun

• Dev Member
    Cheers man! I've been working quite a bit on this, but it has been worth it! The site has come so far from its first stages. :D
    ColdFuseon likes this.
  4. minicrafter8401

minicrafter8401 Reinvented The Wheel

You did an awesome job with the website!
    Last edited: May 28, 2014
    minicrafter8401, Mar 1, 2014
    Last edited by minicrafter8401; at May 28, 2014
    ColdFuseon likes this.
  5. Arctic

Arctic Giant Robot Advocate

• Tester
    Nice job with the site. But the dropdown menus still just stretch out. Any chance of making them look better?
    ColdFuseon likes this.
  6. PsychoticLeprechaun

• Dev Member
    I will fiddle with the CSS to make them drop out in a more aesthetically pleasing manner in the future, but for now they function and I have other priorities (an upcoming forum overhaul and then using that to overhaul the main page design).
    ColdFuseon likes this.
  7. tetryds

tetryds cus tet, that's it

This guy.
    ColdFuseon likes this.
  8. PsychoticLeprechaun

• Dev Member
    This guy, indeed! This guy is actually quite hungry right now... Wish midnight wasn't such an inconvenient time to eat.
    ColdFuseon likes this.
  9. Quinlan

Quinlan Crash Landed

#BestWallpaperEver

Attached Files:

10. PsychoticLeprechaun

• Dev Member
    That looks awesome! There are some fantastic screenshot opportunities in the demo, aren't there? :D Even more pretty-ness to come, too.
    ColdFuseon likes this.
  11. Quinlan

Quinlan Crash Landed

Isn't Aldrin actually a moon since it orbits a gas giant?
    ColdFuseon likes this.
  12. PsychoticLeprechaun

• Dev Member
    It is! Though we commonly think of habitable locations being themselves planets, rather than moons, so we all tend to slip into calling it a planet from time to time.
    ColdFuseon and Quinlan like this.
  13. Sevio

Sevio Back Into Space

^ This. I know a planet is technically defined as a celestial object that orbits its parent star AND has cleared its orbit of debris (otherwise it is a dwarf planet), but with games like KSP and soon SoA, there is really a lack of a term for "celestial object bigger than an asteroid but smaller than a star". Saying "moon or planet" every time you mean any of KSP's moons or planets gets kind of tiresome. :p
    ColdFuseon likes this.
  14. PsychoticLeprechaun

• Dev Member
    Aye, as long as people know what you mean, you are sufficiently using language, if you ask me! As much as I personally dislike using it, text speak is a perfect example of maximising text efficiency. Another cool example of making sense without using correct language is making up a word that isn't in the dictionary and yet it still makes sense - something I have found people who speak multiple languages to consider English the best for (which suits me well; I make up so many words at times :p).
    PsychoticLeprechaun, May 28, 2015
    Last edited by PsychoticLeprechaun; at May 28, 2015
    Potatocat and ColdFuseon like this.
  15. Sevio

Sevio Back Into Space

I hereby propose a new generic term for either a planet or moon: Planoon!
  16. PsychoticLeprechaun

• Dev Member
  17. Sevio

Sevio Back Into Space

(Actually don't use it in SoA, I thought it was pretty terrible :rolleyes:) I think the word "world" might be the best fit, as I just remembered that 've seen it being used on the KSP wiki and in IRC to mean "moon or planet" interchangeably. It also implies that it has to be round. :)
    Sevio, Jun 2, 2015
    Last edited by Sevio; at Jun 2, 2015
    ColdFuseon likes this.
  18. PsychoticLeprechaun

• Dev Member
    Haha, yeah, wasn't going to use it in-game, don't worry. :p As for our naming of objects, we'll have to see - maybe different in-game characters and authors would refer to things different dependent on dialect!
    ColdFuseon likes this.
  19. Arctic

Arctic Giant Robot Advocate

• Tester
    I can see that happening... How hard would it be to specify an entire grammatical system?
    ColdFuseon likes this.
  20. PsychoticLeprechaun

• Dev Member
    Well, it depends on the specification we have for the writers on the team for the dialogue in-game! We aren't going to be randomly generating dialogue due to both the sheer complexity of such a thing (I know of no sufficiently successful technology for immersive gaming), as well as how unnecessary it would be as far as you guys getting a solid, fun game is concerned.
    PsychoticLeprechaun, Jun 15, 2015
    Last edited by PsychoticLeprechaun; at Jun 15, 2015
    ColdFuseon likes this.